Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I'd take pics of the tools I made, but you shave down the edges of a wrench to fit it in there easier.

The crow foot is if you cut a box wrench in half and use the closed side and weld a socket on there so you can turn it with a ratcheting wrench. I don't know how to explain this better than that.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #38
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I just had another idea as to the case of the backup on the return.

Everyone is thinking the return is too restrictive. Well has anyone considered there's a restriction in the PCV valve? If you had a build up of pressure in the crankcase, if the pressure isn't getting out the PCV valve there's only one other option, the drain line for the turbo.
Or as the cars get older, the dip sticks pop out.

This would be why most factory turbo cars have two breathers on the rocker cover, one with the pcv to the plenum, the other back to the intake before the turbo.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #39
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Done.

More pics to come after Turkey dinner.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #40
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Holy shit!
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #41
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Looks great.

How'd you mount the intercooler?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #42
PETERPOOP

For the AEM meth injection squirter/nozzle, a hole was needed to be drilled to fit it. We slightly bent the pipe so the nozzle could squirt towards the throttle body.

Oil catch can installed..

For the intercooler, it was mounted with some brackets we made for the bottom. Some plumber's tape was used for the top. It was kinda hard to make the intercooler centered, but we got it as close as we could.

Top shot..

Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #43
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
much better looking piping than the Greddy kit for the xA/xB
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #44
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^ for sure!!!

Looks awesome. I still can't figure out why the intercooler has an offset outlet? It looks weird.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #45
PETERPOOP

Thanks guys. This a very short clip of the turbo flutter that happens when shifting. Taken with a junk camera. Expect MUCH MUCH better quality videos once I am tuned.

I am running 14.5 (lean) during WOT, so I haven't been driving the car around that much. It also drives at 15.0 during normal driving conditions (a little lean), and idles from lean to rich. Definitely needs a new tune right. Waiting for the AEM tru boost controller to show up before the tune happens. Mind you, this is running with my supercharger tune that I still currently have. Not sure what kind of AFR numbers you'll get, pretuned, if you didn't have management from the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWiamyiPFhQ
Old 11-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #46
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Anything outside of boost, 13.5-16.0 is acceptable, mostly it tries to stay stoich at 14.7.

You are also running a non recirculated BOV it seems, you can see the AFR gauge go rich when the BOV pshhhts.

Boost you should be at 11-12.

Hope you get someone to tune it good for you!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #47
PETERPOOP

Just pulled out the old spark plugs, look kind of worn, and the gap is at about 1.2 ( that was with the S/C ). Planning on putting on new ones (NGK Iridiums), any suggestions on a good starting point for the gap?

I'm also running meth injection under boost, will that also affect the gap?

I'm going to have the tuner gap them during the tuning session, but I don't know when I'll be able to get the car tuned. But for now, I am going to put some new ones in.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #48
PETERPOOP

The 1.2 is mm, breaks down to like .045 (which is basically stock). But under boost, i was reading requires a smaller gap. Cali yaris is running .028 at IDK how many psi. I was thinking to set the gap at about .035 or something.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
.028 gap at 14 psi up.

At what boost level is your meth injecting? I tuned my car up to 14 psi before it needed the meth.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #50
PETERPOOP

Put in the new spark plugs, set the gap at .035. It actually gave me better AFR. It is now running at about 10-11 AFR during WOT, and 14.7-8 during normal driving.

Here's a new short little clip of doing WOT. Click HD and full screen to see the wideband numbers better..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kXZRORS9rk

Right now I think I have the meth starting at 2psi. But when I get tuned, I am going to talk to the tuner to see when I should have it start.

Also, my current boost gauge is showing about 4.5 lbs of boost. Not too sure how accurate the gauge is. I thought the zage kit comes at 6-7lbs of boost? Going to be putting in a AEM tru boost digital boost controller in the near future. I'm going to set it at 8 lbs of boost.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #51
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Nice!!

I have my meth start at about 6psi. I don't think you need it before that point.

The zage kit comes with 0.5 bar spring which is just a bit over 7psi.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #52
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

.26-.30 gap i guess for when you boost. I guess .35 is ok. Watch for misfires, im surprised you didn't hear it breaking up before when it boosts like little pops everywhere.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #53
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Also, my current boost gauge is showing about 4.5 lbs of boost. Not too sure how accurate the gauge is. I thought the zage kit comes at 6-7lbs of boost? Going to be putting in a AEM tru boost digital boost controller in the near future. I'm going to set it at 8 lbs of boost.
I had this problem. It disappeared as soon as I put a manual boost controller in though. Now I'm seeing 8ish during normal driving. The wastegate probably cracks around 5 psi and makes it hard to spool up fully.

How's your BOV situation? I watched the second video and can't really hear it. Kinda glad to see you're having fluttering as well... So far I've fully adjusted and loosened the BOV and it still always flutters.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #54
PETERPOOP

Slow drive by..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG5K3LgsJGw

Re gapped to .030

FocusShift: Good to hear about the boost situation. All I hear is the flutter from the turbo. Can't really hear the BOV. You should post a video of yours......