Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
TwoBearWisconsin

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB/5, 1996 Miata
Also thinking of buying a Yaris

Thinking of buying a Yaris - there seems to be a lot of that going around...

Anyway, here's the deal. I have a 2006 Ford Focus 5 door hatchback. I really like the car, but it has been giving me trouble since the day I bought it. Nothing major, just lots of little crap. Now that it is out of warranty all the little repairs will be coming out of my pocket. It's going to need new tires soon, too, another big expense.

I've liked the Yaris ever since they came out. In fact, I looked at them before I bought the Focus, but in the Chicagoland sales area it was impossible to get a hatchback with ABS, something I consider mandatory for our winters here in Wisconsin. Now they're standard equipment.

So, I visited the Toyota dealer today after getting an internet price from them. The car I'm looking at is a 3 door with automatic and the power package and floor mats. The sticker price is $15865, but there "best" price for the car is $14296 with the current rebate. They are offering me $8000 for my car in trade.

I really like the Yaris. I commute about 50 miles to work every day and want something economical. The thing is, though, I really like my Focus, too. I just wish I knew that it wasn't going to cause me grief in the future.

So... what to do? Do you think this is a good deal with the trade? Good price?

Thanks,
Wil
TwoBearWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
kmf123kmf

Drives: '09 Black 5DR AT
The deal I'm getting on a 4dr LB is almost identical. MSRP $15865, selling price $14288. Auto, power package, not sure about floor mats (didn't look). Seems like a good deal to me anyway.
kmf123kmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
chriswb

Drives: 09 Yaris Liftback
Wil,

It may be smarter to press for 0% financing rather than the $750 rebate.
chriswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
kmf123kmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswb View Post
Wil,

It may be smarter to press for 0% financing rather than the $750 rebate.
x2 If you're financing, do the math and see what works for you. 0% APR is like free money.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Just Do It

Drives: Soon to be Yaris owner?
Yeah Toyota is offering 0% APR financing for 60 months. So, it all depends on how much money down you are willing to put down to decide which incentive you would be better off taking. Good luck either way!
Just Do It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
TwoBearWisconsin

Going back to the dealer tomorrow to see what I can work out. I don't want to finance very much, so I might be better off with the rebate rather than the 0% financing. We'll see...

Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Wil
Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Also, check to see if your bank or credit union has a matching interest rate deal. Mine will match but only down to 3%. $1000 rebate + 3% came out better than 0%.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
kmf123kmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBearWisconsin View Post
Going back to the dealer tomorrow to see what I can work out. I don't want to finance very much, so I might be better off with the rebate rather than the 0% financing. We'll see...

Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Wil
I'm no financial expert by any means, but technically 0% APR financing can be a better move even than paying cash upfront. The main reasoning being that money today is worth more than tomorrow due to inflation. Just something to think about.

But you're right. Depending on how much/little you intend on financing, the cash back could work out better even taking inflation into account.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sounds liike a pretty good deal to me. Goood luck.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
sammy

Drives: driving a yaris S
TBW, what happened did you buy?
I have a best price so far in IL. on a 3 door hatch, auto, FE, CP, CL, KE, PQ, CF, at 14,864 minus 750.00 = 14,114 + TTL.
I'm trying to get it down more.
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
TwoBearWisconsin

Well, we went to the dealer yesterday afternoon. This was my partner's first time actually seeing and sitting in the Yaris, and he was not impressed. He said is was quite uncomfortable for him - he's a big guy.

The car would be primarily for me to commute to and from work, but I'm not sure I want a car that wouldn't satisfy both of us. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now... :(
Old 07-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
kmf123kmf

Awe. That sucks. Not much you can do about that. What other cars did you have on your list?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
First thing you'll notice when going from Ford to Toyota is the lack of all those constant little problems,in fact i'm sure once you experience the quality and reliability of the Toyota you'll wonder why you ever bought a Ford.Took me 3 Fords over the years to realize that although Ford makes a few nice looking vehicles they too soon turn into unreliable pieces of crap.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
TwoBearWisconsin

Been car shopping all week, and the Yaris is still my favorite. I corresponded with the salesman via e-mail yesterday, and I'm going in to see him tomorrow. Might be driving a new car later this week.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Good luck
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
If not a yaris the corolla is nice, but I find the yaris to be more spacious. I mean even a civic or fit would be better than a ford focus.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
TwoBearWisconsin

Back at the dealer this afternoon. The $8000 they offered for my car turned into $6800 and I walked. Had been dickering at another dealer over the weekend with no luck either. Guess I'm keeping the Focus for a while longer.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBearWisconsin View Post
Thinking of buying a Yaris - there seems to be a lot of that going around...

Anyway, here's the deal. I have a 2006 Ford Focus 5 door hatchback. I really like the car, but it has been giving me trouble since the day I bought it. Nothing major, just lots of little crap. Now that it is out of warranty all the little repairs will be coming out of my pocket. It's going to need new tires soon, too, another big expense.

I've liked the Yaris ever since they came out. In fact, I looked at them before I bought the Focus, but in the Chicagoland sales area it was impossible to get a hatchback with ABS, something I consider mandatory for our winters here in Wisconsin. Now they're standard equipment.

So, I visited the Toyota dealer today after getting an internet price from them. The car I'm looking at is a 3 door with automatic and the power package and floor mats. The sticker price is $15865, but there "best" price for the car is $14296 with the current rebate. They are offering me $8000 for my car in trade.

I really like the Yaris. I commute about 50 miles to work every day and want something economical. The thing is, though, I really like my Focus, too. I just wish I knew that it wasn't going to cause me grief in the future.

So... what to do? Do you think this is a good deal with the trade? Good price?

Thanks,
Wil
Yes, I think so.

You're getting a brand new economical car for about $7,000 WITHOUT all the headache of unscheduled maintenance, etc. And I might add, the 4 dr yaris LB is SEXY.

I bought my Yaris used a few months, and she now has close to 60K on the odometer. Not a single problem. Starts every day like clockwork. If you do the maintenance (that includes getting tires, too ;), the Yaris will take care of you. The only thing I regret is that the car is slightly underpowered, but she gives you good gas mileage instead, can't have everything.