Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
WHAT happened to my tire? mystery gash.

up at 4, on my way to work at 5. drove about 20 miles to work. didn't notice any problem, but the radio was up. here it is 730 and i have a flat. cars been sitting in a parking lot for 2 hours by itself, in plain view of main road and someone would have to drive by my office to get to the lot/car.

there's a 3" gash going up the sidewall starting about half way and going out to the tread. it looks rather clean, and there's two thin nylon white cords that are visible that appear to be rather clean, but frayed.

there's some sign of sidewall damage, just a bit of wrinkling and crinkling.

my commute includes a sweeping 180 degree highway ramp that i took fairly fast this morning, didn't notice any wandering or un-settled ness. the flat would've been outside rear. the rim has absolutely no damage.

could i have driven on a soft tire losing air and had the split occur randomly or naturally? could one of my neighbors slashed my tire and i drove to work on it without noticing and without damaging the rim? if someone had slashed it while i was at work, i would'nt have any damage on sidewall from driving? where parked currently, slash was at 12oclock, so not like it was sitting on that part of the sidewall... these tires have an adventurous history, as i bought them from whoppeee (if you're out there, any insight?) and had to put a boot in the front tire for a small shallow gash that was slowly leaking. that one was there when i bought the wheels/tires, but this one was not.

any insight is appreciated as im stumped. i'll have it replaced before i leave work today, but im entirely perplexed as to what happened and don't know if i should sit in the woods next to my car tonight with my hickory stick.
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I can't imagine you could drive with a tire in the discribed condition and not noticed something feeling different. I'd guess it happened in your lot at work. Anyone at work have any reason to be pissed at you? Or road-rage perhaps?

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
jonismyname

everyday. i drove a quick circle around the parking lot and saw the damage it did to the sidewall. and inspected the cut a bit better. without a doubt someone went through the trouble of slicing my tire between 530 and 730 this morning. at least they did me the favor of picking the tire in worst condition. glad they didn't realize every door is unlocked and the keys in the ignition...

maybe it's the tire shop drumming up business? haha
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
glad they didn't realize every door is unlocked and the keys in the ignition...
You are a trusting soul. Are you hoping to have you car stolen?

Story: 20+ years ago I stopped into a variety store (probably for smokes???).
When I came back out to my car a women was going nuts because someone had taken the keys from her unlocked car's ignition (she'd left it idling).
A few moments later a cop walked out of the same store and asked what her problem was. After listening to her rant he pulled her keys from his pocket and proceeded to ream her out for leaving them in the car unattended and basically begging to be stolen.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
jonismyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
You are a trusting soul. Are you hoping to have you car stolen?

Story: 20+ years ago I stopped into a variety store (probably for smokes???).
When I came back out to my car a women was going nuts because someone had taken the keys from her unlocked car's ignition (she'd left it idling).
A few moments later a cop walked out of the same store and asked what her problem was. After listening to her rant he pulled her keys from his pocket and proceeded to ream her out for leaving them in the car unattended and basically begging to be stolen.
im pretty sure it's illegal to leave your keys in your car in NYS, in some nature or another.

i come from a very small town. go to stewarts (gas station/coffee shop chain) any cold morning, you'll find every single vehichle running, including police vehicles. people don't lock even house doors up there. what if someone needs to get in? use the phone? it's a habit i've been working to break... i also have this terrible habit of locking keys in cars/buildings which i find more troublesome than things disapearing...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
jonismyname

maybe i need to take a hint from roadhouse and keep 4 mounted spares in the trunk? bastards.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
advocate

Drives: car
If it makes you feel any better, last week I got a nail in my tire from highway construction. I went home, wheeled the tire with the nail in it to the front of my garage, put on my spare, went inside for a bit, I come out an hour or so later and it's gone!

As far as I know it wasn't even losing air with the nail in it but now I'll never know if it was permanently damaged
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
you have tpms on your car. the light wasn't on at all during your drive?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
jonismyname

i have aftermarket wheels. light is always on. until i finish ctscott's fix.

it's very clear it was an act of vandalism at my work place, early in the morning, as unbelievable as it is.

probably random. possibly mistaken identity.

for both our sake hopefully i don't catch someone trying it again...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.

Could have started like that.

ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
jonismyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Have you hit anything, even a small pot hole recently? If you did you may have busted the plies and bubbled the sidewall and it finally gave out on you that day.
upon closer inspection i could see where someone had sawed three times with a very sharp tool (probably razor or utility knife) and the cords in sidewall were cleanly severed. there was no way i drove anywhere on it. no way anything else caused it. 110 bucks to repair, and a big hastle on a very busy day. still unbelievable. people ask me why im not angry, well, i don't have anyone to be angry with let me get my hands on the bastard and it'll be a different story...