Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
megan lowering springs- brief review.

installed today. drop is rated at 1.5", appears actual. nice springs, standard in front, progressive in rear. (car is hatchback)

first impression was the springs felt smoother than stock. this was on a crappy back road with lots of pits, dives, heaves, sand, ice, and other terrible things, around 40ish mph.

once i got about 50 i quickly realized that these springs really are stiffer, and the car will jump around a bit more, a lot more feedback from the road, but not an obscene amount, still quite comfortable. but i do notice being pushed around in every which direction.

merging onto a highway, and throwing it into corners displayed a much flatter stance in corners, even without a rear sway bar. car changes lanes with attitude. very big difference.

drove about 3 miles with a fat guy in the back seat, and two big guys in the front. no rubbing. slowed the car down though. felt like i was driving my geo metro again.

i have no experience with any other lowering springs, but i can say, for the $$, the megan ones are great.

for anyone considering lowering springs, that live in an environment similar to mine (upstate NY, rural...) the noise from salt, sand, snow, and everything else covering our roads is about 3 times louder now that the car is sitting closer to the ground. a case of rubberized undercoat with dampen it a bit come spring, but it is something else to consider.

i looked for info on these springs before i purchased, and found none, so now, there's a write up. all be it brief.
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
Nice writeup mate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
I have them on my sedan as well. I think I did a write up on them pre-hack. The ride to me felt the same as stock. It only was rough over 80 mph, but thats the same as the stock springs. I noticed a slight increase in handling, but even after getting wider wheels I am still not satisfied with its handling. I can definitely tell this is where a sway bar comes in, hopefully my next mod.

Btw did you cut your bumpstops?

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
i left bump stops stock, called megan racing before i put them back together.

the car is def stiffer to me, i feel slight accelerations in every which direction while driving, the road pushing me and the car around in different directions. to describe it to people, i say, go-kart like.

a rear swaybar would def set the whole thing off, but i feel i need it much less now.
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Good review, how do these compare to nf, df, progress when it comes to drop? Do you have any pics? I wish there was just one or two brands of springs or a huge majority for one spring, instead of 4-5+ options. I've been going back and forth for months on which springs to get and still can't make up my mind. *Sedan, crappy winters, crappy roads*
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
definitely post some pics! any idea what the spring rate is at least in front?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
eii
Rides canyon walls

I've never been in another yaris with aftermarket springs, the megan ones are the only ones I've had on my car. People have tried to figure out what the spring rates on these springs are, but no one has been able to find out what they are. Might have to do with why they're so cheap. They make my car look hella good though

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
I've never been in another yaris with aftermarket springs, the megan ones are the only ones I've had on my car. People have tried to figure out what the spring rates on these springs are, but no one has been able to find out what they are. Might have to do with why they're so cheap. They make my car look hella good though
Pics and what about ride quality and rubbing?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
eii
Rides canyon walls

Heres before, after, and after with 17"s pix:

Ride quality was not too stiff, almost felt like stock springs. I have no rubbing with my stock steelies, and no rubbing even at full turned u-turns on 17"s with 205/40 falken ziex-912s.

Last edited by eii; 05-02-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #10
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
I have them on my sedan as well. I think I did a write up on them pre-hack. The ride to me felt the same as stock. It only was rough over 80 mph, but thats the same as the stock springs. I noticed a slight increase in handling, but even after getting wider wheels I am still not satisfied with its handling. I can definitely tell this is where a sway bar comes in, hopefully my next mod.

Btw did you cut your bumpstops?
rough over 80mph? After my Tanabe DF210s, before my rear sway bar, I had it up to 115mph (It was kinda an emergency) and it was rock solid... Every car I ever had felt floaty and any where near that speed (actually I'm not sure I ever had any thing that fast before). I had my 1.0L 3cyl geo metro up to 90-something and it felt like it was going to vibrate apart lol of course it was a geo metro

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
eii
Rides canyon walls

actually i dont know why, but i havent noticed a difference over 80mph anymore. Dunno what happened.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
actually i dont know why, but i havent noticed a difference over 80mph anymore. Dunno what happened.
maybe they settled since then...

Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
maybe they settled since then...
Yeah, it's what I was guessing. I also got 7" wide wheels now so that might have added some stability. Whatev's I dont care too much about the ride quality.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
i left bump stops stock, called megan racing before i put them back together.

the car is def stiffer to me, i feel slight accelerations in every which direction while driving, the road pushing me and the car around in different directions. to describe it to people, i say, go-kart like.

a rear swaybar would def set the whole thing off, but i feel i need it much less now.
Do this. I installed a sway bar on my car and it made a world of difference.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #15
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Do this. I installed a sway bar on my car and it made a world of difference.
me too

Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yeah, I had Megan springs on my GTI. Ride quality barely changed, but so did the ride height.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
Pitt Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yeah, I had Megan springs on my GTI. Ride quality barely changed, but so did the ride height.
Yea, the drop looks like the nf210s, but I'm sure both are comfortable.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
hafeez

Drives: 2007 Silver Toyota Yaris Sedan
i got these springs on my sedan with tokico blues up front and stock shocks in the back. the front bounces a little bit while driving. i cut the bumpstops in half because I had the DF210 springs before and it was too much of a drop for me so i used back the same bumpstops. anyone know what could be causing this bounce?

Last edited by hafeez; 07-15-2009 at 01:04 PM.
hafeez is offline   Reply With Quote