Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #1
meemadd

Drives: 2009 yaris
auto trans rpm lowering for mpg

what options do auto trans owners have to lower final drive rpm to increase mpg in second gen yaris?
meemadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Are there any except for driving slower or having different gearing?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Like Leegamer says, "drive slower". You could drop the rpm marginally by installing larger tires, but then you'd be using more power to turn them, negating any fuel economy gains. Do you not already get excellent fuel economy? I have the auto in one of my Yari and fuel economy is exceptional. I haven't actually compared the rpm at say 110 kmh between my auto and manual. I should do that.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:14 AM   #4
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
larger tires. Trailer tires are taller, 195/65r15s are taller.
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #5
JefFrosync
I've made a post!

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to JefFrosync Send a message via Yahoo to JefFrosync
Have you considered alternative approaches, like adjusting your driving habits, or are you specifically looking for modifications to the car itself to improve fuel efficiency?

For those who have made modifications, how significant were the changes in fuel efficiency, and would you recommend them to other auto trans owners seeking better MPG?
JefFrosync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:03 AM   #6
Maeser
I've made a post!

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to Maeser Send a message via Yahoo to Maeser
Have you explored other options, such as adjusting your driving habits, or are you primarily interested in car modifications to enhance fuel efficiency? If modifications were made by others, how impactful were the changes in fuel efficiency, and would you suggest them to fellow auto transmission owners aiming for better MPG?