Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
EddyCocaine

Drives: Soon To Be Blue Liftback.
pretty much screwed

so i had plans to buy a yaris..but um, i got pulled over on the way to school today, going 13 over in a 65, so im basically screwed, unless i get the letter before my parents do...which would save me, but its doubtful....ahhhh this sucks.
EddyCocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Racheal

Drives: '07 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Racheal
i don't think it would stop you from getting the car.. but it might stop you from getting insurance. Insurance runs a driver's report, or they did on me anyway.....

Here's a thought - don't speed? In most states 15 over is considered wreckless driving. How old are you?? You REALLY don't want to start life out with a bad driving record. Just some food for thought sweetie.
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
I think he means his parents were gonna buy it and he got a ticket. Unless he is getting a job as a delivery driver dont think it will hurt him. Yeah his insurance may go up but what ever. I figure unless u get ur liscense suspended it no bid deal. I speed everyday, 78 in a 70, 35 in a 30. Shoot I had a cop tell me unless someone is going 8 over he dont mess with it. My last ticket was for going 31 over in a 70. I think just because someone is speeding it doesnt mean u are wreckless or stupid. If you are weaving in and out of traffic, running redlights stuff like that u are. I respect the road and others on it. I love driving, the feel as u accelerate, the excitement that a turn or a light is coming up so u have to downshift. It like a kid at toysRus everytime I drive.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Oh God! I love when people on the internet give others a hard time about speeding. Like everyone is so pure and innocent.
I would be honest with your parents. It will pay off in the long run. Go to court and get supervision so it's not on your record.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
graywolf_14

Shoot my dad always told me u will speed until u have to pay a ticket. Well I have had about 5 tickets in 4 years and it hasnt stoped me. It has made me slow down I dont do 90+ each day. Course he also told me that my grandma had a nova and he use to love spinning tires and showing off until she made him buy a brandnew set.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Racheal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
Oh God! I love when people on the internet give others a hard time about speeding. Like everyone is so pure and innocent.
I would be honest with your parents. It will pay off in the long run. Go to court and get supervision so it's not on your record.
for the last few years since i had to start paying for my own gas... i actually try and drive the speed limit to max out my best gas mileage. Sorry if im not like everyone else on the boards trying to use all 106 hp that i got.. haha, joke.

If he thinks getting the letter before his parents do is going to help him hide the fact he was speeding -- oops? Like i said before, they run a report of your driving record. They WILL find out.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
graywolf_14

Yeah some people say not telling ur parents is bad. I have had like 5 tickets most of them my rents dont know about. Course I was staying out to 1am when I was 16. Course I was at work but I walked home and they never checked on me. My parents gave me space because they know I am responsible. Well compared to my bro and sis I am.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyCocaine View Post
so i had plans to buy a yaris..but um, i got pulled over on the way to school today, going 13 over in a 65, so im basically screwed, unless i get the letter before my parents do...which would save me, but its doubtful....ahhhh this sucks.
unless it's the latest of many, u can go to court and plead it. usually if it's a 1 offense and u show up they'll give u probation. such as, if you're good for 6 months it's waived. u can also pay for a ticket agency (ticket doctor or what have u) to handle it which leads to much of the same. my coworkers (we drive for our work) have noted that so long as they don't get more than 1 ticket within 6 months this process has worked for them even with having 3 tickets within less than a 2 year period.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
YEA man, i dont know how it is up there, but down here doin 13 over is pretty common. in a 65 most people are doing 75, probably a little under half doing 80, and a couple doing 90 or so. Now, of course you cant say that directly to your parents, but you know the road you were at. If it is like it is here, i would say fess up to your parents, tell them that you werent really thinking, just going along with the flow of traffic, and then ended up going about 3 mph faster than the traffic (i mean honestly, 3mph faster is VERY LITTLE over the actual speed of traffic , and is an understandable thing to accidently be doing). Tell them that you werent thinking, and it was just a little bit faster than the traffic was going, but you def learned your lesson about speeidng and for certain about doing any faster than traffic. Offer to pay for the ticket yourself and apologize for any increase in insurance. Then if it comes up tell them that you understand if they dont want to get you a car yet, but you hope that after a few months they might still consider it. If traffic does do about 10 over...i think you will probably get off the hook as far as they are concerned. Hide it though...going to get yourself ass--***** when they do find out.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
EddyCocaine

Drives: Soon To Be Blue Liftback.
hey uhh, racheal, first of all, my parents arent buying the car, they're going to cosign it so i get a better payment and interest rate, second of all, i have been paying for all my own gas since the day i got my license, right now i have a 1997 dodge intrepid, which even gets worse gas mileage, so ive even been paying more than you, and still driving like an idiot i guess?
EddyCocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You think your parents won't cosign if you got one ticket? Try leveling with them, they just might understand.

None of us, your parents included, have lived a perfect, mistake free life.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Racheal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyCocaine View Post
hey uhh, racheal, first of all, my parents arent buying the car, they're going to cosign it so i get a better payment and interest rate, second of all, i have been paying for all my own gas since the day i got my license, right now i have a 1997 dodge intrepid, which even gets worse gas mileage, so ive even been paying more than you, and still driving like an idiot i guess?
Eddy -

That's nice. I, however, bought my own car, had extremely good credit for my age (21) and did not need someone to cosign for me to get the best interest rate there was. Oh, and the insurance is in my name, too.

That's nice that you've been paying since you got your license. I've been paying since I went to college - something I pay for myself, as well.

I never said you drove like an idiot. I was just advising you not to mess up your driving record at such an early age. You just might want to be considerate of this, ESPECIALLY if you're not the one paying for your insurance. I'm a female of 21 with a clean driving record and a good student discount (4.0 son!) and my insurance for this car is 295 every 3 months.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Racheal

let me restate my last comment -- ESPECIALLY if you're under your parent's insurance.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
31 now and very seldom spped unless I'm on a major highway like the QEW, 401, 403 etc. even then it's usually only 10-20km over the limit and I'm still usually the slowest one on the road.
I learnt real quick after a couple tickets when I was young and dumb...
For me it was simple either slow down and still enjoy the privilege of driving or speed and risk payin insurance rates that were through the roof, losing my license or worse, hurting someone.
Not to mention I realized that my driving affects everyone elses insurance rates....

On the topic of ownership and $$$
I don't care if someone parents buys or helps someone buy a car or insures it for them. I grew up payin' my own way everystep and I know just how hard it is to come up with $$$ for payments and maintenace on a new or used cars while still in school. Hell if their parrents want to help, by all means let them...
I bought my first beat up street legal motorcycle all on my own against my parrents wishes when I was 15 and worked my ass off every day after school and during co-op placement to pay for the insurance and plates... I got a bike because I could get oone for dirt cheap and insurance was only a couple hundred bucks a year. I rode that sled for YEARS until I could afford a brand new bigger motorcycle. I rode and still own both bikes to this day.
Our Yaris is our First NEW car, everything else I bought used. Finally got sick of soaking money and the down time into daily drivers.

If you want something bad enough you will work for it.
but man I wish I had parrent that would have bought me a NEW car whan I was a kid like so many parrents do now days.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #15
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheal View Post
Eddy -

That's nice. I, however, bought my own car, had extremely good credit for my age (21) and did not need someone to cosign for me to get the best interest rate there was. Oh, and the insurance is in my name, too.

That's nice that you've been paying since you got your license. I've been paying since I went to college - something I pay for myself, as well.

I never said you drove like an idiot. I was just advising you not to mess up your driving record at such an early age. You just might want to be considerate of this, ESPECIALLY if you're not the one paying for your insurance. I'm a female of 21 with a clean driving record and a good student discount (4.0 son!) and my insurance for this car is 295 every 3 months.
bah women and your better insurance rates! I suppose it goes state to state too.

Word of advice to the OP... do what you can to get this off your record, and go buy a radar detector. DON'T speed in unfamiliar territory, and DON'T speed until you know where the cops hang out.

I routinely speed 20-30+, and never get tickets... its not reckless if your goin in a straight line, anyone can handle 80-90 on a smooth straight highway... or 65 on a smooth 45... etc etc.

The only speeding ticket I've gotten is when I was shot with a laser from a mile away in a speed trap. That was 20 over and I was in front of traffic going the same speed... yea i got pwnt on that one...

Another word of advice, always follow someone :)

Everyone speeds, the speed limits are set with that in mind.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i think you're in the limits of going to traffic school to clear that speeding ticket off your record. i was not fortunate enough to get that.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i think you're in the limits of going to traffic school to clear that speeding ticket off your record. i was not fortunate enough to get that.
x2
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #18
titan0111

Drives: Future Yaris Owner
when i used to live in california (up until '99), they would let me go to a traffic school but i had to pay them extra court fee (~$30) + traffic school fee (~$70) so that the ticket wouldn't show up on my record.

if you recently get your ticket, you still have like two months to pay your ticket right? or go to the court? if you get your car and get insure before that time, you will be fine, cause the ticket won't show up on your record until it's paid or past due.
titan0111 is offline   Reply With Quote