Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
More News On Hybrids...

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...udy-shows?lite

Hmm 35% dont buy another one.

How many Yaris owners buy another one?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I'd like to see Toyota offer their 1L 3cyl, 1.33 L 4cyl, or diesel Yaris models here in America. Why buy a hybrid when these smaller engine and diesel variants are available? I'm sick of the rest of the world having these options, but not Americans. Why? I would have gladly bought a 1L 3cyl or diesel Yaris over my 1.5L 4cyl Yaris, any day. It's all about reliability and fuel economy for me, and these smaller engine Yaris models offer everything I could ever want in a car. We should be given the option to buy what the rest of the world is offered. Also, I'd be reticent to buy a hybrid because the batteries will eventually need to be replaced. The only hybrid I'd be interested in that was offered in America was the first generation Honda Insight, with the 1L 3cyl engine. It got great fuel economy and was very reliable.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
bentjazz

bronsin,

Just curious, what kind of gas mileage did you get on your trip to Alaska?
Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
bronsin

In the US I got 34 mpg. Thats because I traveled at an indicated 85 mph most of the time. Out west its not a problem because the speed limit is 75. But even back east where the limit is 65, most people are going substantially faster than that. 85 doesnt stand out.

In Canada however the typical speed limit where I traveled was 100 km. Maybe 110 in some spots. Which is 62 mph. So I went an average of 65-70, not wanting in incur official displeasure. There are few interstates in Canada because theres hardly anyone living there compared to here. There was virtuely NO traffic on roads outside of cities and towns. I didnt see people flagrantly breaking the law speedwise like you do here. So I didnt either.

Also I got a feeling in Canada they dont have an ethanol lobby which makes millions by forcing ethanol diluted gas on us. I believe the fuel doesnt have that in Canada. True? Who knows?

That speed got me 40-46 mpg.

I totally agree with you we would better be served by smaller displacement GAS engines like the 1.3 and especially the 1 liter. Diesel is out. They cost more money, the fuel costs more money. They now cost MORE to operate than a small gas engine. You will NEVER pay back the extra cost.

I believe the reason is Toyota wants us to pay as much for a small car as we do for a Camry. They dont make as much money on a small car. The diesel would compete directly with the hybrids. Toyota doesnt want that. The new iQ costs almost $20,000 by the time you pay taxes, delivery, etc etc. Its nuts! A Yaris is still $14,000 for a base one.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Sparcoboy

Drives: 2008 XP9 by Sparco
Diesel are sold here because they pollute less so you pay less taxes. Also gas is at almost 8.5$/gallon and diesel is only a little over 7$/gallon. So easy said, evryone likes a diesel overhere except for short range driving.
Sparcoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
That's the crazy thing about diesel and diesel cars here...it SHOULD be cheaper than gasoline, but its not. That's why I don't care so much about not having a diesel yaris offered....but sure, the smaller engines would be great, unfortunately I don't think there's enough of a market for them, being as most people I know still want the bigger trucks/SUVs, and still complain about the cost of operating them....
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
I don't think there's enough of a market for them, being as most people I know still want the bigger trucks/SUVs, and still complain about the cost of operating them....
I was in the market for a new car in 1980 when gas was 56 cents a gallon. You had to wait six weeks for a new subcompact car then. The demand for small fuel efficient cars was acute. Quite a difference from today.

The Diesel Rabbit was all the rage and they cost ~$8000.

Even though it was what I wanted I couldnt afford that and settled for a Subaru Hatchback which was $4600 bottom line.

The Rabbit got 50 mpg and the Subaru got 35 mpg. It was obvious the Rabbit would never justify its pricetag. I dodged a financial bullet. Ever since I always do the math!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
toyota barely sells enough Yaris to make it worthwhile. Every month it is one of the lowest selling on the list of its competitors. I doubt they could sell any of the smaller engined ones in the USA.

Oh and what is it, 60% of Prius owners buy another Prius? Just because it is a hybrid does not mean it is a good car.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
toyota barely sells enough Yaris to make it worthwhile. Every month it is one of the lowest selling on the list of its competitors. I doubt they could sell any of the smaller engined ones in the USA.

Oh and what is it, 60% of Prius owners buy another Prius? Just because it is a hybrid does not mean it is a good car.
The number is 40% according to the article.

The car has proven reliable.

And I have to like the strategy Toyota came up with. Instead of giving an obscene ammount of money to the gas companies, the Prius is designed so you give the money to Toyota.

Very cunning.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
bentjazz

I think maybe not a lot, but some (like me), would buy the diesel Yaris due to concerns about energy consumption. It wouldn't necessarily be a money issue, but an ideological issue particularly when one considers how dependent we are upon foreign sources of energy for fuel for our cars. I know I would have definitely bought a smaller engine Yaris if it were offered here, and I do feel as gas prices climb people will be more inclined towards these smaller engines. I guess we'll have to wait and see.....
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
bentjazz

bronsin,

Must have been quite a trip to Alaska. It's amazing you put over 10,000 miles on your Yaris in that short a period of time.
Can you post the link to your Alaska trip?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
bronsin

Ive bumped it up into this same section of the forum

Alaska to NJ in my Yaris
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
bentjazz

Thanks, bronsin.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The number is 40% according to the article.

The car has proven reliable.

And I have to like the strategy Toyota came up with. Instead of giving an obscene ammount of money to the gas companies, the Prius is designed so you give the money to Toyota.

Very cunning.
think you misunderstood me. The Prius is a good car. It is probably the only good hybrid. Would not surprise me if all the other hybrids were crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
I think maybe not a lot, but some (like me), would buy the diesel Yaris due to concerns about energy consumption. It wouldn't necessarily be a money issue, but an ideological issue particularly when one considers how dependent we are upon foreign sources of energy for fuel for our cars. I know I would have definitely bought a smaller engine Yaris if it were offered here, and I do feel as gas prices climb people will be more inclined towards these smaller engines. I guess we'll have to wait and see.....
Not enough. besides, most oil we import is not for use in automobiles. There is a reason a 1.5l engine is the smallest you can get in the US. Smaller ones were tried and failed miserably. Like I said as is with current prod numbers the Yaris barely sells enough to not be canceled all together.