Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #33
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I just went through this thread again, so if I can add my own 2 cents, I hope you'll all pay attention.

Personally I can understand Evan's position, it's not always easy to handle a public forum like this when you are hoping to sell something, and at first he's been more than accommodating:

reduced shipping prices for Hawaii & alaska
possibility of a GB with a minimum of 5 buyers
proposed an alternative for payment plans (Credit card or Paypal)
offered to give a hand with the install of the first unit
explained why those guys who bought the kits before Rotrex approval are not eligible for a warranty (as far as I remember this was quite clear at the time too)
Explained that the kit already had a successful history, albeit in Japan so far

On the other hand, I have to agree with several other members that there are too many "maybes" in this kit. As mentioned, we still have very little knowledge of the small differences between USDM and JDM models. Those first people who bought the Blitz kits took quite some time to figure it out, heck echo_hrs still does not have his running smoothly last we heard from him. I think it would be ideal if PE and Evan could look into this and see how they can improve on that experience too. After all, most of us here are not master mechanics, yet are willing to learn and do the wrenching themselves.

So... is it a lot of money for 50HP? $75 per hp is pretty reasonable. 50HP might not sound like a lot but that's half of the stock power rating... Heck those guys with the Blitz kits are "only" doing about 130whp but it's already a sensible difference. But, this topic has already been beaten to death.

So, Evan, my advice:
If you want to sell things to end users, listen to their needs... Sure, some might ask for too much, but most people here just want to make an informed decision, nobody likes to fly blind into a multi-thousand dollar purchase. And, the best way to do this is to find someone to work with, document each step of the process, make everything as crystal clear and transparent as it must be. Saying "the kit includes everything you need" is just not good enough, as you won't know that with 100% certainty until you install the kit on a car that is truly representative of your target market.

Case in point, myself, couple years back I did some GBs for some accessories available locally, and as it turned out, even on identical cars, there were a few that just would not fit due to tiny differences, like the side mirror covers, which have a different alignment of clips. Felt like a damn fool about it, and still do.

Also, I've been asked to look into the ECU of our cars here, and the part numbers are totally different, even between cars of the same model year with the same manual transmissions. It's small differences like this that can kill the ease of installation, so we all just want to avoid this potential problem.

If you're unable to comprehend this, then don't be surprised that people react unfavorably. And, lashing back at people in this kind of situation is highly unprofessional.

So, if there is someone really serious about this, who wants to be the pioneer (sounds better than guinea pig) for this specific kit as officially sold by PE USA, please contact Evan, take him up on his offer to do the install, and let us know how it goes. Until then, I am going to close this thread, please start a new one once you have answers to the reasonable questions.

You have an amazing opportunity here to be really in touch with this community's wants and needs. Heck if you need any inspiration go look at how Jackson Racing handles the sale of similar kits on fitfreak.net, they are there each step of the way. If you can reach this level of service, you're golden.

Bye bye 1NZ...

Tags
boost, forced induction, supercharger, turbo