Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
code54

Drives: 2012 Yaris
2012 Yaris "noise"

We very recently purchased a 2012 Yaris LE HB (23K miles) and I noticed it has two odd noises. Sort of a knocking sound in the front and also the rear at LOW speeds. I have pulled the entire interior out of the car and added sound deadener (for the stereo and to kill some road noise) and the knocking is still present. I know it was not from me taking it apart since it was there before I started.
It is a deep solid sounding "knocking" noise at very slow speeds, (just a knock, knock, knock, then nothing more) and seems to only happen when turning. I don't notice it a higher speeds or on "normal" bumps in the road. Mainly when in parking lots making slow tighter turns.
I have confirmed it is not in the car so I am leaning toward the suspension. I pulled and yanked the heck out of the muffler and it does not hit anywhere. I didn't find any leaking oil from the suspension members.
I am planning on jacking it up and putting some stands under it and looking at it more closely tomorrow, is there anywhere I should specifically concentrate on. I would like to find the noise then only take it in under warranty for the dealer to fix. I know how they never are able to reproduce the noise so I would like to be ahead of the curve a bit and get them looking in the right place to start.
Thanks for the help in advance.
code54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Take it in since you still have warranty. Don't rely on them to reproduce the noise. Take the service advisor out into the parking lot and demonstrate to them what you are experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
code54

You are right but if I can find the issue (something loose, etc) I would just fix it myself. I also am trying to learn the car a bit more. Really like the vehicle. A bit different than what I am used to!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Could be many things ... here's a few for any car:

Pull off the hub caps and check for rocks inside.

Make sure your lug nuts are all properly torqued.

Take a look at the CV joints' boots for tears, etc. or loss of grease.

Jack up the car safely, and try to move the wheels -- feel for loose suspension/steering parts, wheel bearings, or CV joints.

Check the shocks/struts' tops and bottoms for looseness and bad/missing bushings. Also for bent/broken/leaking shocks or struts. Do bounce tests at all four corners with the car on the ground.

Good luck!
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
code54

Thanks - hope to find something simple!