Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Got new TRD sway bar!

Hi!! I ordered the TRD sway bar few days ago and it came today. I installed it, very easy btw. It does makes a huge increase in stability while turning. The car goes more level while in a turn, I also found out to create the most levelness in a turn, you must increase the speed little by stepping on the gas pedal while turning. But this way always makes my car to skid a tiny bit, making a bit of the skid noise. But is good, that means I am going faster thru the turn!

The next thing I am going to do is the lowering spring from TRD, and soon the shocks from TRD. As the shocks are more expensive, I am thinking to do the lowering spring first, then after maybe 2 months, I do the shocks. Would that be fine for the car with stock shocks on for 2 months? I heard it's better to change both shocks and spring at the same time. Anyone just using the lowering spring with stock shocks?

Cheers
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I'm using the DF210 lowering springs and they are lower than the TRD one's. I have had them on the stock shocks for about 6 months now with no problems
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
I'm using the DF210 lowering springs and they are lower than the TRD one's. I have had them on the stock shocks for about 6 months now with no problems
So I can go with TRD springs with just stock shocks?

Cheers

Last edited by caineroad; 08-17-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
If you're paying to have the installations done I would suggest you do both the springs and struts/springs at the same time and save big.
However, if you enjoy home wrenching, carry on and enjoy. Just be prepared to do the same work twice up front.
Suggestion: remove the swaybar before starting the rear spring install. Otherwise the rear axle will not drop sufficiently and you'll have a battle removing the old and installing the new springs.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
If you're paying to have the installations done I would suggest you do both the springs and struts/springs at the same time and save big.
However, if you enjoy home wrenching, carry on and enjoy. Just be prepared to do the same work twice up front.
Suggestion: remove the swaybar before starting the rear spring install. Otherwise the rear axle will not drop sufficiently and you'll have a battle removing the old and installing the new springs.
Yea, I am planning to have my dealership to do it for me, quoted around $160, good price? And does toyota knows they need to remove my sway bar before installing the spring and shocks?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
I am glad to see another TRD satisfied customer. The sway bar on a lot of vehicles is a lot of fun.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yup. a rear sway bar is worth evey penny.

I personally got an UR sway bar but, the important thing is to just get one no matter what brand you choose.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Yea, I am planning to have my dealership to do it for me, quoted around $160, good price? And does toyota knows they need to remove my sway bar before installing the spring and shocks?
$160.00 sound like a great price to do all four corners. Get a written quote. That way if the tech isn't aware of the added challenge the swaybar adds and spends extra time learning his trade they can't add charge you for his education.

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I didn't remove my rear sway bar when I installed my springs and didn't have a problem.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
don't get trd shocks...save 100$ and get tokico blues....same thing w/o the trd sticker

if the local dealer falls thru, i could install 'em for you
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I didn't remove my rear sway bar when I installed my springs and didn't have a problem.
Following the TRD instructions and only dropping one side at a time (to save brake line tension) I found that the swaybar did it's job perfectly by restricting the differential between the axle position left to right. It didn't allow one side to drop far enough to dis-lodge the stock spring. After removing the second mounting bolt from the bar the axle dropped further and the spring came right out.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
don't get trd shocks...save 100$ and get tokico blues....same thing w/o the trd sticker

if the local dealer falls thru, i could install 'em for you
My TRD shocks have no sticker.
In fact they're stamped KYB (not Tokico). Likely the same bodies as the KYB GR-2 dampers but with TRD spec. valving.

Has anyone actually done any back to back comparison testing between the TRD's and Tokico's? I've yet to read of any.