Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
gauthierjs
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris HB 2008
Talking Beginner: Fog lights - Add-a-fuse question

Hey!

I am looking to hide LED fog lights inside my 2008 canadian Yaris's front bumper. Lights would be hidden behind the front bumper's bottom grille and would be used to get better lighting while driving at night on country roads. I have two questions for you guys:

1: Is it a good idea to "hide" my LED fog lights behind my front bumper's grille? Will the radiator have enough airflow to work fine? I want to hide them inside the bumper to protect them from hitting snow and ice as I drive 90% of the time on highways, in winter.

2: I am planning to tap a fuse powered only when the key is in the "on" position... Should I tap into a particular fuse? Could the 12V socket fuse be a good one? Also, regarding safety, say the 12V socket fuse uses a 10A fuse, and I add a 5A fuse with add-a-fuse for the LED fog lights; will that be a fire hasard, knowing that if ever something goes wrong, there might be 15A going through this circuit? Or is the fusebox's busbar able to power the 10A fuse and the new 5A fuse simultaneously, even though it used to power only a 10A fuse?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
gauthierjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Arrow Re:See above

Hi there, since no one has actually bothered to answer you for such a long period of time, I might as well volunteer to do it.

Before getting started, I'd like to say that this post is not in the correct section. It should be under DIY/Maintenance/Service.

Moving on:

#1. Sure, so long as they're mounted securely, that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, if you've noticed, the radiator grill from newer model Yarises is smaller then your 2008 model.

#2. I need more information on what exactly you want to do. (Turn on fog light when you turn your headlight on? Use them as daytime running lights?)

Generally though, you can do that, provided you use a T-splice with a fuse after the tee off on the wires running to the lights. (I would also add a button to the set-up, you don't want your fog lights on every time, unless you do want that)
Safety wise, with this method, you could practically tap into any existing fuse you see fit, provided the new fuse introduced is of a lower amperage rating than the main fuse of the circuit. That way, should you blow the new fuse you introduced, you can still be able to use that particular circuit without any issues. Just remember that there will probably be other consumers in the circuit too, so the total load on the circuit should not exceed the amperage rating of the original fuse, otherwise it will blow.
Fire hazard? If the installation is done correctly and properly, there shouldn't be any danger. After all, that's what the fuses/fusible links are designed to do, cut power through the circuit before bigger problems happen, like fires.

Also, in your example, the fusebox's busbar should be able to power the 10A fuse and the new 5A fuse simultaneously, however you must keep in mind that the total amperage draw should not exceed the 10A fuse.

Hope this helps.
invader166 is offline   Reply With Quote