Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
it has to get hot enough that the actual plastic start to get soft, you will need gloves as it will be to hot to touch. you can see where the backing folds over the clear plastic, you will have to get a screwdriver in there and pry the clear plastic forward as seen in your last picture, there are also black plastic tabs that help hold the clear plastic in. its always nerve racking peeling them apart, if you can find someone with an oven it makes it extremely easy. if not make sure you have enough heat. that glue is hard otherwise.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I'd leave the oven door cracked if need be and rotate the headlight as it gets to temp...200 is plenty.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #39
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
it has to get hot enough that the actual plastic start to get soft, you will need gloves as it will be to hot to touch. you can see where the backing folds over the clear plastic, you will have to get a screwdriver in there and pry the clear plastic forward as seen in your last picture, there are also black plastic tabs that help hold the clear plastic in. its always nerve racking peeling them apart, if you can find someone with an oven it makes it extremely easy. if not make sure you have enough heat. that glue is hard otherwise.
Thanks again, I did notice the plastic going soft so I guess I was going in the right direction. Can I do half the headlight at a time or try to keep the heat as uniform as possible and then peel apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I'd leave the oven door cracked if need be and rotate the headlight as it gets to temp...200 is plenty.
If all else fails, I'll go for this. It was an option of mine to begin with but avoided it. Thanks! :)
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I have a pretty stiff suspension and there's crappy roads where I live .
LOL! in Sunnyvale? Your kidding? I love driving in Sunnyvale, smooth roads and high speed limits.

Try Oakland/Berkeley, for some fine quality crap roads!

UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
if you cant get an oven, when I cracked open the second gen headlights i pry'd them apart slowly and cut the glue with a razor blade as I was pulling, then when I was done I put them back together and ran the heat gun and applied generous pressure the them to re-seal the glue. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren_13 View Post
Thanks again, I did notice the plastic going soft so I guess I was going in the right direction. Can I do half the headlight at a time or try to keep the heat as uniform as possible and then peel apart?

if you flex the housing when its hot it may stay in that shape, so try to heat the glue evenly.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:

if you flex the housing when its hot it may stay in that shape, so try to heat the glue evenly.
its funny when i did the ones on the echo, i had to use my friends garage for the bumper removal, then drive 30 mins across the city to use my oven. than drive back and install them tot he car and align. then use a heat gun to put them together.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
if you cant get an oven, when I cracked open the second gen headlights i pry'd them apart slowly and cut the glue with a razor blade as I was pulling, then when I was done I put them back together and ran the heat gun and applied generous pressure the them to re-seal the glue. :)
This might be an option. I can see the glue as I start to peel open the light but its just solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
its funny when i did the ones on the echo, i had to use my friends garage for the bumper removal, then drive 30 mins across the city to use my oven. than drive back and install them tot he car and align. then use a heat gun to put them together.
Lol that sounds like a mission! I won't give up on this, don't you worry. I'll just give it a good, even blast with the heat gun. Then if all fails, I'll do the oven again with the door cracked I guess. These projectors will be worth all this though but man are they making me work for it!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Quote:
This might be an option. I can see the glue as I start to peel open the light but its just solid.!
I'd give it a shot! It's gotta soften up after some heat, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #46
Eren_13

Maaaan, I've tried all these tips you guys have given me and its just not going :( tried the cracked oven door - the heat just escapes so quick. The heat gun - I just can't seem to get the uniform heat around, I'm afraid I'll just bend the plastic beyond repair and then it's no good to anyone. I'm really at the point of giving up now and it's a shame because I know that as soon as them things are open I'll be ok fitting the projectors in.

I know this is a really big ask but is there anyone at all that would do the honours and help me out if I sent all the bits to you? I'm in the UK, but I'm sort of set on having these projectors (hopefully someone can relate to that same feeling of really not wanting to give up!) Or failing that, are there any retrofitters local that anyone knows of? I tried a quick internet search but that didn't come up with much.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #47
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Any luck ?

I feel you, I tried removing the headlights. Super hard, this thing is sealed tight !!!
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:04 AM   #48
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
8 hours later :)

Last edited by ucsmfu; 01-03-2015 at 12:51 PM.
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hid, projector, retrofit, yaris sr