Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
nobodywise

Drives: Yaris sedan
Fuel Economy Rumors

Windows up = Better MPG
(Due to less drag)

I love the back of my car, the front... not so much
nobodywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Evidence?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
nobodywise

More of a question tbh and it's a thread for people to add what they have heard and to elaborate on them

Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Got it.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
my experience has been that up to 60-62 mph my mpg is better with windows down/ac off. above that window up/ac on the over as the more efficient method.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
AC always should be off. If you can anyways. The drag the windows cause is negligible at any speed that is legal to drive.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
AC always should be off. If you can anyways.
...Here that is a BIG if. I read somewhere (can't remember if it was here or not) that the the A/C being on all the time only makes a 1 MPG difference.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
...Here that is a BIG if. I read somewhere (can't remember if it was here or not) that the the A/C being on all the time only makes a 1 MPG difference.
its not much. I usually lose around 1-2 mpg's on a tank if its a hot week and ac was on full time.

however, if I am on a longer trip of mostly interstate (65+mph) and the windows are down I will lose 2-3 mpg's.

a bigger issue to me is that at highway speed and drivers window down, the noise level is just way to high for my liking. this has nothing to do with the car itself. drivers window down is just very noisy no matter what car I am in.

check this out:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv...dition-eng.php

It's been found that a variety of everyday activities can cause exposure to sound levels above 85 dBA. A few examples are:
•listening to music through headphones or earbuds
•attending a rock music concert
•mowing the lawn
•using a table saw
driving a car on the highway with the windows open

at the decibel levels of an open window at highway speeds, hearing loss is a real possibility over time. its just so gradual and cumulative that people wont readily notice it. it will just be one of many factors leading to poorer hearing later in life.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
its not much. I usually lose around 1-2 mpg's on a tank if its a hot week and ac was on full time.

however, if I am on a longer trip of mostly interstate (65+mph) and the windows are down I will lose 2-3 mpg's.

a bigger issue to me is that at highway speed and drivers window down, the noise level is just way to high for my liking. this has nothing to do with the car itself. drivers window down is just very noisy no matter what car I am in.

check this out:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv...dition-eng.php

It's been found that a variety of everyday activities can cause exposure to sound levels above 85 dBA. A few examples are:
•listening to music through headphones or earbuds
•attending a rock music concert
•mowing the lawn
•using a table saw
driving a car on the highway with the windows open

at the decibel levels of an open window at highway speeds, hearing loss is a real possibility over time. its just so gradual and cumulative that people wont readily notice it. it will just be one of many factors leading to poorer hearing later in life.
I almost never drive with my windows down...but some of the other things included in your link.... Not in either of my 'Vitzes', but in quite a few other cars I have had high quality (but also capable of a very high SPL readings) stereo systems in them. I wonder if I will be nearly deaf when I am old . My uncle (my mother's sister's husband) is a retired dentist. He has a great sense of humor about it, but he has huge ears and (despite very expensive hearing aids) has trouble hearing. I wonder if many years of hearing that drill damaged his hearing ?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
nobodywise

Anymore rumors?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
~

Quote:
I almost never drive with my windows down...but some of the other things included in your link.... Not in either of my 'Vitzes', but in quite a few other cars I have had high quality (but also capable of a very high SPL readings) stereo systems in them. I wonder if I will be nearly deaf when I am old . My uncle (my mother's sister's husband) is a retired dentist. He has a great sense of humor about it, but he has huge ears and (despite very expensive hearing aids) has trouble hearing. I wonder if many years of hearing that drill damaged his hearing ?
any audio enthusiast is pretty much screwed. A few older musicians have been honest and mentioned hearing loss from all the headphones and monitors they have used throughout their careers.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
any audio enthusiast is pretty much screwed. A few older musicians have been honest and mentioned hearing loss from all the headphones and monitors they have used throughout their careers.

I guess I should be thankful that that desire is LONG gone. I had one JL Audio 300/4 in my 'just before Yaris' Swift (way, way way toned down from previous cars) and that was enough. I'll probably put that amp in my 2014 Yaris...if it is still okay when I pull it out of storage. On both the car side and the home side, it can become an addiction of a certain type....forever chasing a zenith that you can tell yourself you haven't yet reached. I hope my hearing stays great for a long time. If the point where my grandfather's hearing started to falter is any indication, I have another 30 years. However, he wasn't an audiophile/audio enthusiast....and was young way before Rock music ever existed .
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
AC always should be off. If you can anyways. The drag the windows cause is negligible at any speed that is legal to drive.
You got it just the wrong way around. Of course if the maximum speed limit in in the Soviet People's Republic of Cape Codistan is 55 mph, same as the highest temps, you'd be right for your location.

Even before there WAS A/C owner's manuals recommended to use the wing vents and the fans for cooling rather than the windows because of decreased fuel economy.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
My uncle (my mother's sister's husband) is a retired dentist. He has a great sense of humor about it, but he has huge ears and (despite very expensive hearing aids) has trouble hearing. I wonder if many years of hearing that drill damaged his hearing ?
My mother's uncle (her mother's brother) was an artillery man in WW2. Guy was stone deaf. Had to have a phone that flashed strobes to get his attention, and an inductive loop around the couch to get the sound from the phone and the TV into his hearing aid.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
My mother's uncle (her mother's brother) was an artillery man in WW2. Guy was stone deaf. Had to have a phone that flashed strobes to get his attention, and an inductive loop around the couch to get the sound from the phone and the TV into his hearing aid.
My uncle (born before any of the other people in my parent's generation on either side of the family) would have loved to have been your mother's uncle. My uncle felt he didn't do enough because he wasn't in the war like many of his friends. My uncle finished his A.S, B.S, M.S, and D.D.S in 5 1/2 calendar years (he was paranoid that the Navy was going to stop paying for his education, so he insisted on being awarded each degree separately...he was the last person to do this, as the University of California enacted a policy change right after this), and got his license toward the end of 1947, at the age of 23. With the war over, he spent three years filling teeth for the Navy on Coronado Island in San Diego, and then almost 30 years as a USNR officer...however many weekends plus 2 weeks a year, IIRC. Still...a void because he didn't serve in or during the war. My aunt has always said to him - "You did what the Navy asked you to do"....Sometimes that helps .
Not called 'The Greatest Generation' without reason. My uncle and my grandfather are two of the most patriotic people I've ever known in my life. If there were more people around with their spirit, this country would be a lot better off. The spirit of patriotism is one of the things I like most about Texas ...shining even brighter, given that the former Republic of Texas joined via treaty.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Of course if the maximum speed limit in in the Soviet People's Republic of Cape Codistan is 55 mph

I wouldn't be surprised if Why? agreed with this sentiment . He thinks that the world would be better off if 90% of the people in the U.S. Northeast ceased to exiist .
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
roxy1

Quote:
He thinks that the world would be better off if 90% of the people in the U.S. Northeast ceased to exiist .
having lived in Connecticut for a year, im thinking that 90% is a bit low.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
having lived in Connecticut for a year, im thinking that 90% is a bit low.
...... got to leave room for most Yarisworld members in the Northeast and their friends and families.