Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #19
yuiedie

Drives: '07 liftback
i think having two of the plates that you were issued displayed also has something to do with the traffic cameras here, since if you had no front plate and ran a red and the camera took a pic in front of you it couldnt get your plate numbers. not sure how cali laws apply to non-residents.
yuiedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #20
MrJester

Drives: homo
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Im trying to determine which state is currently more retarded: Massachusetts or California.

I'd have to go with California for the 'win'. My liberal brethren have really got it goin on out there!
Man most retarded state hands down is OH now I know a lot of people around here are form OH but I'm sorry there is something in the water around there causes issue with your brain function. I know way too many poeple my girlfriend included that are just uh having some issues HaHa :)
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #21
smokinyaris

Drives: bad boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
California cannot cite you for that as your vehicle is registered in Utah, not California. Your vehicle is beholden to the laws of the State it was registered in while you, the driver, are beholden to the laws of the State you are driving in.
+1 yes your rite same goes for tinted windows because if you live in NV and driving around LA with tinted windows are OK...........
smokinyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #22
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
personal experience?? CA is strict with the front plates, but pretty lackadaisical with front tints. family members' have gotten a few fix-it tickets for front plates over the years. shit, we've a gotten a few tickets for having the wrong year registration on our plates, even though our new stickers hadnt even arrived yet. needless to say, we fought those easily.

--B
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasward00 View Post
I'll be staying in San Francisco with my fiance for about 6 months while I work a contract at Cisco, being a New Orleans resident my car is registered in Louisiana, which is a 1 plate state. I will be keeping my insurance and registration here in louisiana, I would never buy a car in california with all the emission controls.
When I moved out here 10 months ago, I kept my Jeep registered in Michigan. But its illegal to not change your insurance, because of different laws.

I actually saved $50 a month in insurance going for a MI policy to a CA policy...

Oh ya, I live a block from the police station, and I drove that Liberty for 5 months right past it every day with the one Michigan plate.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #24
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I remember someone telling me that the state of iowa built a mentally handicapped hospital school system there. That they brought in thousands of mentally challenged folks for care. And that it raised the I.Q. level of iowa by 15 points state wide by doing that.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #25
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
I would be willing to bet that people in CA wouldn't even know if you are supposed to have a front tag or not.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #26
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I would be willing to bet that people in CA wouldn't even know if you are supposed to have a front tag or not.
reg stickers in back only... now wheres my money!!

--B
Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #27
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
Front plates are only required if your car is worth less than 30K anything below that is an easy fix it ticket here in Cali Example i had my corolla one week w/ no license plate up front, BAM! TICKET my brother has his Infinity G35 for three years no license plate upfront, no ticket...it all depends on the car in my opinion. Or just bad luck... WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA
sad but true.

for three years, my friend has run NO plates on his e500, front nor rear, and kept his temporary window registration up. cops stop him and look at it and ask him about it. he just tells them the dmv hasn't sent him anything and they let him go. he calls it the "euro pass" lol.
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #28
vacantj

Drives: Yaris 4Dr sedan
I been driving around the LA area with a Japanese front plate since June and I been pulled over once and the highway patrol guy was an asshole but he didn't mention the front plate but did give me a ticket for front tinted windows and mutilated drivers license (I skateboard and I usually carry my drivers license in my back pocket so it's bended but not broken into from falling on my butt - I argued but he stood firm)
vacantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #29
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Drive nice and follow the traffic law, and nothing bad will happen. I've been driving around for nine months with fake registration decal on out-of-state license plate (rear only) and no insurance. Also drove across the country from Florida to Nevada and L.A. without current registration decal on that plate.

Had a Las Vegas cop car pull up behind me in an intersection once, and I'm pretty sure he was checking out my plate with my fake home-made sticker, but I wasn't pulled over.

Just look in the rear view mirror, and get off the road if you see a cop pulling onto the road behind you. I've been doing this for 15,000 miles. Now that I got the Yaris I'm finally legal again though...feels good.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #30
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Front plate has been off my car since day 1,its only a simple fix it ticket if you do get caught. All my cars run no front plates. I have a special temp bracket just for fix it sign offs on my 65 stang as there is not even a place to mount it on that with the shelby front.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #31
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasward00 View Post
I'll be staying in San Francisco with my fiance for about 6 months while I work a contract at Cisco, being a New Orleans resident my car is registered in Louisiana, which is a 1 plate state. I will be keeping my insurance and registration here in louisiana, I would never buy a car in california with all the emission controls.
you have a Toyota and ALL Toyota's conform to Cali emssions laws by default that way they don;t have to make 2 versions for the USA market .. look at the sticker it says all 50 states emissions rating .. BTW the Yaris is rated by Cali as a ultra-low emssion vehicle meaning that it never needs to get a 2 year smog test .. my 2001 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 banger was the same rating , had that puupy 7 years and never had to smog it . That's what makes Toyota's Soo Cool !!

as for aftermarket stuff & tints if yer not in a drug / gang area / LA or doing something stupid to draw attention to yer self .. they don't even bother with ya .. BUT the Hiway Patrol will give you a ticket for anything once they pull you over , keeps you from complaining about undue police harassment

BUT for plates they(the CHP) have a Hard On for any thing plate related
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #32
seanele

Drives: '07 Blazing Blue LB, '09 Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by reznunt View Post
sad but true.

for three years, my friend has run NO plates on his e500, front nor rear, and kept his temporary window registration up. cops stop him and look at it and ask him about it. he just tells them the dmv hasn't sent him anything and they let him go. he calls it the "euro pass" lol.
damn..i gotta try that..
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #33
seanele

Drives: '07 Blazing Blue LB, '09 Jetta
btw..i gotta say that Pennsylvania is the coolest one of all,
when it comes to not putting front license plate..!!!

not sure if other state has similar law.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:52 AM   #34
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by reznunt View Post

i'm tempted to do the same. i think my Yaris is cute-r without the front tag
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #35
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
I've been running 18 months without the front plate. The dealership didn't drill the holes out nor provide a bracket for mounting. I do carry the plate and have body moulding tape ready to mount if needed. My Yaris is a bit louder than stock and lowered, but as a middle-aged guy, I don't draw much attention:)

I agree with Rain, the Yaris Sedan looks much better without the front tag. I've done a few mods recently and need to post some pics.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #36
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
I've been running 18 months without the front plate. The dealership didn't drill the holes out nor provide a bracket for mounting. I do carry the plate and have body moulding tape ready to mount if needed. My Yaris is a bit louder than stock and lowered, but as a middle-aged guy, I don't draw much attention:)

I agree with Rain, the Yaris Sedan looks much better without the front tag. I've done a few mods recently and need to post some pics.
wow. which dealership was that? should have gotten mine from them. lol.
i checked out your garage.. it looks so good without the front tag
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote