Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Securing a Cargo carrier...

I know there are some options for roof racks. I however do not want one nor do I wish to drill into my precious. But I do have a cargo top carrier that I have been figuring out how to attach to the top of my LB. I thought about running a strap through the windows, but that would mean I would have to climb out of the window (and not a option for the GF since the accident.) and that would just look getto, and possibly not work well. I've thought about using heavy duty suction cups like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Quad-...QQcmdZViewItem
Maybe getting four of them. My main concern would be them working loose and having the cargo carrier blow off.... Thoughts??
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
I purchased a cheap ($35) 15 cubic foot rooftop cargo carrier bag made by Rubbermaid at Target for a trip to Orlando from Atlanta. It was made for no crossbars or roof rack. I put shelf lining foam on my roof and put the bag on top of it to reduce sliding and damage to the paint.

It hooked to the top part of the door and roof with a hook. It also had a tie strap which had to go through the interior (what you dont want I read).

With this thing on top of my car the wind resistance was horrible! It made going 70 feel like armageddon was coming down from above. And when big trucks came by...forget it!

I didnt use it for the return trip back to ATL. I reboxed it and returned it to Target.

Im still looking for a removable roof rack that holds cargo SECURELY. Im never doing that again!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Maybe instead of 4 of the suction cup devices, maybe I could use 5, 6, or even 9 of 'em. I'm pretty sure with 440lbs holding capacity each it would take armageddon to blow off of there. I wouldn't be putting anything heavy in there, mostly things like sleeping bags, clothes, etc. I just want to be able to haul a little more stuff without killing anyone in the process. The last time I went to California I saw a very very small mercedes, with 4 people in it and they had so much stuff attached to the roof of their car, it was about the size of the car itself! (This car was smaller than the Yaris). It had foreign plates. Kinda wondered why they bothered to have the car shipped over here, as opposed to just renting a car.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Well, I went ahead and bought four of the suction cup things. If they seem like they won't work, I'll be having a sale on dent pullers
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I know there are some options for roof racks. I however do not want one nor do I wish to drill into my precious. But I do have a cargo top carrier that I have been figuring out how to attach to the top of my LB. I thought about running a strap through the windows, but that would mean I would have to climb out of the window (and not a option for the GF since the accident.) and that would just look getto, and possibly not work well. I've thought about using heavy duty suction cups like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Quad-...QQcmdZViewItem
Maybe getting four of them. My main concern would be them working loose and having the cargo carrier blow off.... Thoughts??
they make roof rakes that don't require drilling...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Last I looked a couple months ago I couldn't find one, any links? I need something that goes on and off quickly and easily. I didn't buy a yaris just to ruin its gas mileage by leaving the rack on there year round. (Like many do around here, although not in a yarii)
Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
punch

Quote:
Last I looked a couple months ago I couldn't find one, any links? I need something that goes on and off quickly and easily. I didn't buy a yaris just to ruin its gas mileage by leaving the rack on there year round. (Like many do around here, although not in a yarii)
I was just looking for a rack myself.....
thule
yakima
Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

This is what Yakima had to say for the Yaris LB:
Our marvelous Yakima Fit Team is currently racking their brains out, assessing a rack fit for your vehicle. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, though, there are a lot of new vehicles out there on the road today for our hard working team to check out!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
they make roof rakes that don't require drilling...
Not yet for our Yaris. If you know of a specific one please list a link to it.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
This is what Yakima had to say for the Yaris LB:
Our marvelous Yakima Fit Team is currently racking their brains out, assessing a rack fit for your vehicle. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, though, there are a lot of new vehicles out there on the road today for our hard working team to check out!
Thats what their website said 6 months ago too. Their 'marvelous Yakima Fit Team' needs to get off their asses and spec one up.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
punch

yakima; thule, sorry I didn't realize they only listed for the sedan...