Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Talking 185-60-15's..... NO GOOD OPTIONS!!!

I've checked all around and if i use the same size that the previous owner did i have NO OPTIONS from what ive searched for with regard to wanting a much grippier tire set for my stock 15" toyota alloys. I'm wanting these for everyday use and im going to run them "occasionally" for autoX and would like advise to finding good tires for them.... ill change sizes considering im about to put the tanabe spring set that does the lowest drop. anyone have any better sizes that have good deals? also i was looking at Falken Azenis RT-615K and didnt know if that 15 size would fit my rims.

Last edited by zachryboles; 04-03-2010 at 08:54 AM.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
That was my stock tire size with my alloys. But I wanted something with more grip so after searching around (and with the help of lilredrocket) decided on General Tire's Exclaim UHP size 205-50-R15. Amazing difference!!!!
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
You got pix of that 195/60? 'Cause that's one sizes I was thinking about?

Last edited by Billiam; 04-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
paulyates

Drives: 2007 HB
I too put on a set of 205/60/15s (7inch rim however), Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s.
They are a ball. I carry a lot more speed into and through curves which is good, as the giant power from this massive motor tends not to surge me out of low speed...

I'm sure they won't last, they cost $97 at tire rack I think...but they sure are fun and I can mount and bal them myself when I need to, so it's only tires I have to pay more often for... Fellow in the mailroom saw them and said,"So you're the guy who got these...are you autocrossing?"

The Kuhmo XS is also supposed to be very grippy as well.

Speedo will read 3% or so faster, but I'll live with it.
Not sure if they'll be best for your rims, 6.5" is likely OK, I think stock 5.5" would be pushing it.

They don't rub, I'm not lowered, the tire fender gap is slightly larger.

I'm sure 195s would be fine as well. 205/55 is a closer match for diameter but you won't find as many sticky compounds. They will also trend towards being slightly less cost, more in the 4-season sort of mold, pun intended.

PY

Last edited by paulyates; 04-03-2010 at 11:45 AM.
paulyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
that's because it's a one-off tire size. toyota is about the only company using it.

go with a 195 and there's options out the wazoo.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
that's because it's a one-off tire size. toyota is about the only company using it.

go with a 195 and there's options out the wazoo.
And the difference in circumference is only about 2%. About a 1.5 mph difference at 75 mph, on a speedometer that's virtually impossible to read due to the parallax anyway. ;-) Come to think of it, that difference should help adjust for the parallax. It's in the right direction.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
I'm looking into a tire for the same usage and think these look good in a 195/55/15:

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec

Really good price too! Just be aware of what you're buying though. These look like a fair weather tire only.

Anyone had any experience with these?
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I'll say it again:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...26&postcount=9

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
There are more choices at 195/55/15 should you care to go with a more aggressive look while putting more rubber to the road.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
I'm looking into a tire for the same usage and think these look good in a 195/55/15:

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec

Really good price too! Just be aware of what you're buying though. These look like a fair weather tire only.

Anyone had any experience with these?
Awesome tire. They're far from a "winter" tire, but they're excellent in the rain. So, "fair weather" is relative.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Off Track - Off Subject question

Sorry for the thread jacking, but I could not pm Loren.
I have a Yaris and an XD. I want to soften the XD's ride by changing the springs to a Tein set that lowers about 2". I've read about some threads that say the Teins have a softer ride, and some say it's harder. I'd like your opinion on this if it's possible.

Sorry Loren, I didn't know how else to elicit a response from you !

You can pm me if you want to respond
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Loren
What?

You could (should) start a new thread.

Everything is relative. "Softer" than what? "Harder" than what? The spring rate is probably going to be a little stiffer than stock, particularly in the front. The harshness in ride quality is going to come from lowering the car 2" and not making the springs stiff enough, as is the usual case.

If your goal is to make a stock xD ride SOFTER than stock, you don't want to lower the car at all, nor do you want to fit any aftermarket springs. I'd look at the tires. A nice cushy set of touring tires with pressures set on the low side (28-30 psi) will do wonders for ride quality... at the expense of everything else.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I'd look at the tires. A nice cushy set of touring tires with pressures set on the low side (28-30 psi) will do wonders for ride quality... at the expense of everything else.
Agreed. For ride smoothness... and especially road noise.

This next bit is not a serious suggestion today, in the year 2010... but I will mention that bias plies ride like silk. No radial tire ever made can hold a candle to the 2 ply rayon Uniroyal Laredo tires that came standard on my 1968 Cadillac. Even compared to other bias ply tires of the time, the Laredos were like riding on a cloud.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Awesome tire. They're far from a "winter" tire, but they're excellent in the rain. So, "fair weather" is relative.
Good to know, thanks. Am I correct thinking these will have an R compound type grip like an old Yoko A008R or approaching a BFG R1? I used to run both those tires un-shaved for everyday use on my A1 Volkswagen and they held up just fine. All the DOT R compounds out now look like slicks and have no tread life rating in comparason.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Talking

as far as 205-50-15's, which will do better in street/light autoX and still have rainy grip?
Falken Azenis RT-615K
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
Yokohama S.drive
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Good to know, thanks. Am I correct thinking these will have an R compound type grip like an old Yoko A008R or approaching a BFG R1? I used to run both those tires un-shaved for everyday use on my A1 Volkswagen and they held up just fine. All the DOT R compounds out now look like slicks and have no tread life rating in comparason.
Yeah, that's about right. The current crop of high-end "Ultra High Performance" street tires is about where R compound DOT tires were 15-20 years ago. Probably better than the old A008, and pretty close to on par with an R1.

Tires like the Star Spec, Toyo R1-R, Kumho XS (I think that's the one), BFG RE-11 and maybe a couple others fit that category.

Zach, of the tires you listed, I only have experience with the Azenis. They're not great in the rain, and downright scary in the rain at less than about half tread depth. Star Specs are awesome in the rain.