Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
PROX4x4
1.5 or 2.5 both=0-60 in 8

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris
Scion FR-S (FT86)

What do you think? Who is thinking of switching their Yaris for one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image_1.jpg (54.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Image_4.jpg (50.7 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Image_9.jpg (316.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Image_10.jpg (83.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Image_15.jpg (98.1 KB, 197 views)
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROX4x4 View Post
What do you think? Who is thinking of switching their Yaris for one?
The Subaru BRZ because they designed MOST of it. Less debadging for me to do.
And I like the LED trim in the headlights vs the Toyota 86 one.

What does it say on the sides, I cant make it out? 86? or FR-S
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
The Subaru BRZ because they designed MOST of it. Less debadging for me to do.
And I like the LED trim in the headlights vs the Toyota 86 one.

What does it say on the sides, I cant make it out? 86? or FR-S
just 86 on the side..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
They took an EJ20 motor, turned the intake manifold 180 degrees, and moved the filter to the top. Just don't understand why the oil filter needed to be on top. I hate top mounted oil filters.

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
I was originally thinking about trading in my Yaris for one when it comes out. I really want to like it but the price and weight are getting a bit too high. I know it's not going to happen, but if the price was under $20K (like Toyota originally hinted it would be) and weight under 2500 I would be able to overlook the fact that it has a difficult to work on boxer motor and I would be all over it. With the price climbing over $25k there are other cars out there I would buy first. For now I want to wait and see how well it actually does once it's released and what kind of aftermarket support it receives. It has an awful lot of hype to live up to.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUGEghost View Post
I was originally thinking about trading in my Yaris for one when it comes out. I really want to like it but the price and weight are getting a bit too high. I know it's not going to happen, but if the price was under $20K (like Toyota originally hinted it would be) and weight under 2500 I would be able to overlook the fact that it has a difficult to work on boxer motor and I would be all over it. With the price climbing over $25k there are other cars out there I would buy first. For now I want to wait and see how well it actually does once it's released and what kind of aftermarket support it receives. It has an awful lot of hype to live up to.
I agree 100%.. I will wait a year or 2 after its been out, see what kinda issues it gets and either buy new when its been 2 years, or buy used for under 20k. I want this car to be amazing. But time will tell
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
They took an EJ20 motor, turned the intake manifold 180 degrees, and moved the filter to the top. Just don't understand why the oil filter needed to be on top. I hate top mounted oil filters.
Its not an EJ20. Its part of the new line of Subie motors (the F Series - I think this one is the FA20). I'll stick with my EJ255 lol

I too hate top mount oil filters! Ive changed a bunch of 4runners and tacomas like this. grrrrrrr.

I do like the forward facing manifold and air box location. cool idea.

In response to the original post, I wouldn't replace either of my cars with this, but would buy it as a toy if I was rich (I'm not ) I need something to drive in 12 inches of snow, hence the WRX and the yaris is our commuter car.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
don't like the interior. looks too plain. It looks like something from 2004 IMO.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I hate top mounted oil filters.
Interesting reason not to get one.

Micro Image can haz?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
The Subaru version is going to start at $24,000...so the Scion NEEDS to start a a much lower price, considering the Scion version is being stripped of a lot of things the Subaru is getting such as foglights, etc.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The Subaru version though is going to handle like a 4wd tank without being a 4wd tank. I don't know why they made the handling so vastly different.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Not at first, but the rumor from Subaru is that it will eventually be Awd.

i like this smiley...
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
How would the handling be difference between the Scion and the Subaru versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The Subaru version though is going to handle like a 4wd tank without being a 4wd tank. I don't know why they made the handling so vastly different.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
i can has yes? I wouldn't trade my yaris for that, though. My miata and RX7? Take both! I am fond of top mount oil filters, actually. when you do an oil change, just remember to let it sit overnight and it's typically drained! (at least it was on the rx7....)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Except the oil drains better from the block when it is warm/hot.

i like this smiley...
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
Except the oil drains better from the block when it is warm/hot.
yea, but after its been sitting over night, isnt all of it pretty much drained to the oil pan. just jack the car so the drain plug is at the lowest point.

either way, I dont think it really matters weather its been sitting over night or not, you are not going to get every drop of old oil out.

I agree though, I like top mount oil filters. I use a can cap to catch oil from the filter housing and then brake cleaner to clean the rest up. easy to get to and can be done with out making a huge mess.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
i made the mistake of attempting to change the oil on my rx7 15 minutes or so after running the car, the filter was still full, lol. Oil everywhere. ever since then i would let the car sit overnight before doing an oil change. i guess somewhere in my head i thought "oh it's upside down, oil should drain out of that really fast!"

WRONG.
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartsmancometh View Post
I too hate top mount oil filters! Ive changed a bunch of 4runners and tacomas like this. grrrrrrr.
From the picture, it looks like Subaru thought about (and solved) the problem; the filter looks like it is mounted inside a cup shaped mount so the oil in the can will be caught and drain into the engine.

Like ilikerice, I plan to buy a new one after a couple of model years pass so t that Toyota can work out any bugs and hopefully, all the inevitable dealer gouging will be over.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote