Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Bi-Xenon HID Problem

I purchased a 6000K bi-xenon HID kit for my 09 LB in May 2009 from xenon-vision.com, who used to be a vendor here. Apparently they're no longer in business, since that website no longer exists.

Anyway, my driver's side headlight & hi-beam has gone out completely and the passenger's side hi-beam no longer works. I have determined that the problem with the driver's side is not the ballast, since that ballast works when I swap it to the passenger's side.

I'm not sure if my problem is as simple as just needing two new bulbs? On xenonvisions.com (slightly different name from xenon-vision.com, so maybe they're the same company?), I see only one type of replacement bulb, but it doesn't say whether they are bi-xenon or single-beam replacement bulbs, so I'm not sure what to do from here. I assume the bulb itself is different between the bi-xenon and single beam kits?

I've emailed xenonvisions.com several times with no response and have tried calling the number listed on the site, which rings twice then hangs up.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
carcept

Drives: xp9
You can get on ebay the bi bulbs. That will cost about 30 till 50 dollar!!
Maybe its bether to by a totall new set on ebay. you might pay 80 bucks
carcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ or from me, which supports a YarisWorld vendor.

bi-xenon (or low xenon/high halogen) is an H4 bulb for us. If it's a single beam it will have a different designation (H11 is a single beam for our foglights, for example)

I do not know if bulbs are cross compatible between HID kits, but they SHOULD be.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
MGargano

Ok, I think I understand. So H4/9003 is the designation for the bi-xenon bulb? I just want to make sure before I order an H4/9003 and it turns out to be a single-beam bulb.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
So if all you need is the bulbs and not the enclosure try this. New matched ballasts etc
http://shop.microimageonline.com/H4-...its-H4-HID.htm
Price is shipped, in case you didn't notice.

I'm debating on these or fogs.....And wating for my wife to get a job,lol That would help!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
MGargano

That looks great, but I'd hate to have to redo all the wiring and go through the hassle of installing a whole new kit if all I need is two new bulbs. On the flip side, I'd hate to buy & install new bulbs and then find out I need new ballasts too, so now I'm torn.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

H4 means low and high beam, NOT bi-xenon.

bi-xenon means both the low and high beams are xenon. There is also a low xenon/high halogen combination -- this is also an H4 bulb.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I might have some spare bulbs. if I do, I'll post pics of them -- I don't mind just sending those if I have them to send and if they are compatible with your set up!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
MGargano

Thanks Garm! If you have them and are able to send pics, I'll compare them to mine and we'll go from there. If not, I might end up just buying a whole new set from you since these xenon-vision ones are kinda crappy, to be honest.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
i'm having issues with my set too. they are the h1/h7 kit, not to be confused with the ones garm sells. my battery cant power on both ballasts at the same time. i need to let one side warm up, then turn off the lights, switch back on to power on the other ballast. anyone know what the cold crank is on these batteries?
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeng View Post
i'm having issues with my set too. they are the h1/h7 kit, not to be confused with the ones garm sells. my battery cant power on both ballasts at the same time. i need to let one side warm up, then turn off the lights, switch back on to power on the other ballast. anyone know what the cold crank is on these batteries?
It really depends on what battery you have, if you have the oem one it should be around 500 cca or so.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

cfeng, it sounds like you need a relay installed to power them up properly

Go to www.theretrofitsource.com, click on "relay harnesses". They make really good ones.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I had the same problem with these. One of my bulbs went out, and so I ordered a new one. That bulb didn't work either, so it was a ballast problem. I ended up selling the ballasts and bulbs to a junkyard since they were useless.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
MGargano

Well I love the HIDs and get nothing but compliments on them, so I'm hoping Garm comes through with bulbs that will work and hopefully solve the problem. If not, I'll definitely be buying a new set.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #15
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
i'm using relays right now. it seems like the ballast has a shutoff internally when it notices that its not drawing enough power. maybe i need to try a finer strand wire, im using radioshack 10 gage.
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
MGargano

I finally received a reply via email from XenonVisions.com- $95 for a new pair of bi-xenon bulbs.

I explained that I can purchase an entire new HID setup (wiring, ballasts, and bulbs) for less than that and was told "But as a caution of advice, the $89.99 kit are 9 times out of 10 made from chinese kits, and chinese kits don't last that long. Our kits are designed after Philips bulbs and Siemen's ballasts thats why the higher price."
Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
MGargano

garm, any luck possibly locating those spare bulbs?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
garm, any luck possibly locating those spare bulbs?
Hey man, can you take a picture of your bulbs to show what we are looking at? I know my D2S bulbs are $19.95 for a pair online. Just curious what you're looking for here.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote