Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren_13 View Post
Well, that's been very helpful. Clipped on perfectly, one thing, the indicator wire seems too small to fit in the splice clamp! It just goes straight through the middle of it. I guess the taps are too wide?
That sounds like the case. tap-splice connectors are available in various sizes to fit different wire diameters. They are typically color coded, where red ones would be for 24 to 18 AWG wire, which would be the correct sizing for those wires on the Yaris.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That sounds like the case. tap-splice connectors are available in various sizes to fit different wire diameters. They are typically color coded, where red ones would be for 24 to 18 AWG wire, which would be the correct sizing for those wires on the Yaris.
Your knowledge knows no bounds it seems! That is the case this time, it's off to get some red tap-splices then :) I'll have these fitted eventually, promise! And once again, thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Eren_13

Right, I've managed to install the resistors with the correct tap splices this time! I'll post a video if anyone wants to see? I was just having a little look around on eBay and came across these 'resistors' http://bit.ly/108oxQf

What's everyone's views on these? Are they better / any safer than load resistors with regards to heat? I only ask as I'd rather like to install LED flashers for the rear lights now but notice that there's quite a lot of plastic back there which I know isn't ideal for mounting load resistors.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Right, I've managed to install the resistors with the correct tap splices this time! I'll post a video if anyone wants to see? I was just having a little look around on eBay and came across these 'resistors' http://bit.ly/108oxQf

What's everyone's views on these? Are they better / any safer than load resistors with regards to heat? I only ask as I'd rather like to install LED flashers for the rear lights now but notice that there's quite a lot of plastic back there which I know isn't ideal for mounting load resistors.

Thanks!
With those being packaged that way you can't tell what kind of resistor is used, so I would actually avoid that type. I would rather use a wire wound metal package one, so I know it is the proper type.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
Eren_13

Thanks again. Given the amount of plastic at the back in the housing, is it safe to mount a second set of load resistors back there? I managed to mount them at the front OK, I could make sure the resistor does not touch too much of the plastic.

Lastly, I also stumbled actoss these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-AMBER-No...-/221076959783 boasting 'no resistor' needed as they're already built in. Could these be for real and if so, are they suitable?

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again. Given the amount of plastic at the back in the housing, is it safe to mount a second set of load resistors back there? I managed to mount them at the front OK, I could make sure the resistor does not touch too much of the plastic.

Lastly, I also stumbled actoss these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-AMBER-No...-/221076959783 boasting 'no resistor' needed as they're already built in. Could these be for real and if so, are they suitable?

Thanks again.
The metal cased load resistors should not get too hot, where you need to worry about the plastic melting. The bulbs with built in resistors are legitimate, but the way that they are made they will likely fail quickly due to the head from the internal load resistor.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Eren_13

That's great. So if anything then I'll stick to the load resistors. I'll try to mount them safely even though you did mention they shouldn't get too hot. Thanks once again.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
Eren_13

Forgive me, I have a final question (I think): Is there anything againt me having front and rear indicator LEDs? I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was better to have only 2 changed. I do however have side flashers in my mirrors which are the standard bulb and not LED if it makes a difference.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Forgive me, I have a final question (I think): Is there anything againt me having front and rear indicator LEDs? I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was better to have only 2 changed. I do however have side flashers in my mirrors which are the standard bulb and not LED if it makes a difference.
It is fine to change them all. If you only changed the front or only the rear, you could possibly get away with not needing the load resistors, as you would still have a set of high wattage bulbs in circuit.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #28
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is fine to change them all. If you only changed the front or only the rear, you could possibly get away with not needing the load resistors, as you would still have a set of high wattage bulbs in circuit.
Oh right, I didn't think of it that way. So using reverse logic, could that mean that because I have the load resistors on the front, it be that if I put LEDs in the back without resistors, would the front resistors still be taking the high wattage and therefore take away the need to install load resistors at the back or does it not work that (oh so simple) way?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh right, I didn't think of it that way. So using reverse logic, could that mean that because I have the load resistors on the front, it be that if I put LEDs in the back without resistors, would the front resistors still be taking the high wattage and therefore take away the need to install load resistors at the back or does it not work that (oh so simple) way?
The front and rear bulbs are connected together, so you should only need one resistor per side on either the front or back.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Eren_13

Just tried putting the LEDs in the rear and I seem to be getting hyperflash all round now. I have at the moment only load resistors at the front. One on each side. I take it I'll need them all round?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Just tried putting the LEDs in the rear and I seem to be getting hyperflash all round now. I have at the moment only load resistors at the front. One on each side. I take it I'll need them all round?
It does sound that way. The flasher relay must be setup to require the resistance of both the rear and front bulbs in parallel.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
Eren_13

Makes sense, and upon trying these LEDs at the back, I've quickly realised its going to be a difficult task trying to get those resistors onto the wires! It's very tight back there.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
Eren_13

Little update and sort of an FYI - CTScott, turns out your theory was correct the whole time! I do only need one resistor on each side. I bought another pair of the same LEDs and tried those without and they work perfectly. No more fried egg effect at the back now. And they're lovely and bright. Thanks again :) I'll attach a before and after.