Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
CTScott Pls help - ELM 327 OBDII BLUETOOTH ADAPTOR

Hi,

I am looking to get an OBDII Bluetooth Adaptor to communicate with my Toyota Belta (Japanese manufactured) via android/IOS, but I've heard that the ELM 327 OBDII bluetooth adaptor is not compatible with my Japanese made Belta.

Could anyone suggest a compatible adaptor that I can order from ebay for my Belta.

@CTScott would appreciate if you could help me out.

Thanks

Tyrone
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I am not sure that any of the cheapy ebay ones will work since they need to support M-OBD, as opposed to OBDII.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
tyrone_yaris

Oh; actually my relative is coming down from Toronto so I was thinking of asking him to get it for me by ordering thru ebay.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone_yaris View Post
Oh; actually my relative is coming down from Toronto so I was thinking of asking him to get it for me by ordering thru ebay.
I think the only ebay ones that may work with your car are the Toyota TechStream clones from China.

The legal version of it, which definitely works with TechStream and M-OBD based Japanese Toyotas is the Drew Technologies Mongoose (but it is $495, as opposed to $22 like the Chinese clones). I personally own the Drew Technologies one and it works with a Japanese Vitz ECM that I have on hand.

It does require the Toyota TechStream software, which legally requires a subscription to use ($55 for a 2 day or $1095 for a yearly subscription). There are pirated copies of TechStream floating around on the internet, but like with the Chinese clone of the hardware, there are risks and legal concerns in using them.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
tyrone_yaris

Thanks for the info.

I guess will have to wait for another option to come by.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
but like with the Chinese clone of the hardware, there are risks and legal concerns in using them.
I don't want to start a discussion here, but I'd like to mention that Techstream needs Win XP which I run in a virtual machine.
That way, I can be almost a 100% sure that even if there was malware inside it would not hurt my host computer ;)
It has worked well for me up to now with my XP9 and a P1.
However, do not expect it to work with cars from other manufacturers.

It won't help you at all, but if someone ist curious: EOBD works with the ELM327-clones
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
I don't want to start a discussion here, but I'd like to mention that Techstream needs Win XP which I run in a virtual machine.
That way, I can be almost a 100% sure that even if there was malware inside it would not hurt my host computer ;)
It has worked well for me up to now with my XP9 and a P1.
However, do not expect it to work with cars from other manufacturers.

It won't help you at all, but if someone ist curious: EOBD works with the ELM327-clones
It will actually run on Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well. I am most recently using it on an Acer W3, which is an 8 inch Windows 8 tablet. Drew Technologies, which makes the authentic VCI, has drivers that work for Win 7 and 8.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Okay, maybe my version is too old ;)
I chose the CF-18 because it is rugged enough to put it on top of a motor whose belt you change during a snowstorm to look how to put it in right :D
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Hey Tyrone,

I know why it doesn't work. I have the same problem. I have a JDM Vitz and the ELM327 wont recognize the car. Its because JDM cars don't follow standard OBD2 protocol, they follow JOBD (Japanese OBD) Now, I think the ELM327 can read the code, its just the software cant understand it. So far I haven't been able to find a software that could do it.

I tried the same adapter on local market Toyota's and it works really well. This is the only disadvantage of a JDM car I guess. Some of the standards are strictly Japan style.

Hope this helps.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
mf4361

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I bought a cheapy ebay ELM327 for $12 and it worked on my 07 Yaris with android Torque Pro app. I got sensor values like fuel flow, coolant temp, etc.
It actually came with a CD with programs to record but I haven't tried it (since I only wanted for Torque Pro)
mf4361 is offline   Reply With Quote