Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
Toyota Claims Ownership of Fan Wallpapers

(sorry if this isnt posted in the correct section)

I read this on Digg last night and figured id post it up.:

Motoring giant Toyota is normally ahead of the curve when it comes to technology. The company is known for innovations like the Synergy Drive in the Prius, as well as long term reliability. However, if you take pride in your Toyota, and have it as a wallpaper on your system, Toyota doesn’t want you sharing....

rest of article:http://torrentfreak.com/toyota-claims-ownership-081114/
Old 11-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
There was a similar incident with Ford a year or so back, when some mustang owners wanted to make a calendar they almost got sued by Ford, but it blew over...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
What? That's ! IMO don't think they should have a hand in calendars, wallpapers, or any other souveniors (spell check please) if it's intended for specific car clubs.

I say we get around this is by choosing the best 12 Yaris's on these forums and making our own calendar. Who's with me?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Errr...I paid for the fucking car, I will do what I like with it! Toyota is blowing smoke out their ass in an attempt to intimidate folks; but they had better not come down to Texas and try to pull that shit as they won't get away with it!

Toyota can kiss my ass!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Toyota pit bullony

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbilal View Post
(sorry if this isnt posted in the correct section)

I read this on Digg last night and figured id post it up.:

Motoring giant Toyota is normally ahead of the curve when it comes to technology. The company is known for innovations like the Synergy Drive in the Prius, as well as long term reliability. However, if you take pride in your Toyota, and have it as a wallpaper on your system, Toyota doesn’t want you sharing....

rest of article:http://torrentfreak.com/toyota-claims-ownership-081114/
Too much money, no class!
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
What? That's ! IMO don't think they should have a hand in calendars, wallpapers, or any other souveniors (spell check please) if it's intended for specific car clubs.

I say we get around this is by choosing the best 12 Yaris's on these forums and making our own calendar. Who's with me?
Yeah its pretty f'ed up on Toyotas part, makes them seem not so friendly anymore.

Im all for the calender idea but im pretty sure they need sponsers to support that, which hasnt been done yet? Anyways, we should figure out a way around this, like perhaps memeber donations to help with the process.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
This is an outrage!

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
It's scary stuff ...

I don't see how Ford/Toyota/Whoever can claim copyright of an image they didn't take. If I take a photo of a product, it therefore becomes the property of the product manufacturer?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Here's how it works... If you take a picture of a car, you must have the prmission of the owner of that car to make that picture public. (But not really, only if there will be profit made from the picture) Since these callenders are not free, you do need permission from the owners. Now, as long as someone doesn't make a deal of it, Toyota can't do anything. AND... if you have replaced at least 10% of the car with aftermarket parts anyways, it is technically no longer a ( place name of car here). Just look at Chevrolet and Pontiac. 10% difference i most of their cars. Examples: Camaro and Firebird; Cavalier and Sunfire; and many many more. If I take a picture of my car, I can post it anywhere I want and they can't do anything. As long as it's mine, it's mine to do with as I wish. They should be glad we are making a calander to begin with, as it is helping make their car more popular. As long as we don't post dealership names, all should be good.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbilal View Post
Yeah its pretty f'ed up on Toyotas part, makes them seem not so friendly anymore.

Im all for the calender idea but im pretty sure they need sponsers to support that, which hasnt been done yet? Anyways, we should figure out a way around this, like perhaps memeber donations to help with the process.
Maybe we can get cali yaris's Micro Image store to sponsor us, since some of the owners here might have some of the aftermarket parts he's offering.

YarisBueller could sponsor us an official car club, seeing as alot of owners here are already sporting the "YarisWorld.com" decals.

Just a couple thoughts.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
My mother in law is a professiaonl photographer, but she wouldn't travel too far for pics, so people would have to bring their cars here to Olympia, WA (or at least close to here). Maybe if several people from several places took pro pics, we could get the pics to my mother in law for editing, and she could make them look GOOOD for free, and then send them to whomever to print. She has a sweet camera and has the top of the line image editing software. You would have to send the pics in unedited picture files. Just straight from the camera to her email. She will do the rest. How do we pic the best cars though? Anyone wanna vote? Maybe post pics in a new area? Then make December 1st the cutoff, so we have time to edit, get it to print, and post it for sale?
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
We had all the submissions for the Yaris World 2009 Calendar before the hack. I never got the 2008.

If I use one of my pictures as a wallpaper and someone else wants it on their comp, they have my permission to use it. I'm sorry, my car, my pics, my rules.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote