Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
*rant* Last Nokia phone I ever buy

Way off topic, I know, but I need to get this off my chest...

I used to have a Sony Ericsson K800, truth be told, the best phone I've ever owned, hands down, and I've had quite a few. Not too bulky, great camera, great music playing capabilities, responsive, etc.

So about a week ago I'm in a taxi, I get a phone call, I then put the phone back in my pocket, but somehow not deep enough. And as I get out of the taxi, the phone must have somehow dropped onto the seat, and I didn't notice until some time later... Tried calling the phone, remembering the taxi's license plate, to no avail.

So, begrudgingly, the next day we head to the phone shop to get me a new phone. I thought it might be fun to try a new phone, and Nokia's N93i had just been released, promising great camera functions with a 3x optical zoom, 30fps video recording, yadda yadda. Seems all right, a little bulky, but I can keep it in my pocket and use a bluetooth headset... Built-in WiFi as well so I can use that to leech free internet, cool! Pictures look all right on the screen, the zoom is a nice function, etc. So far so good. I fork over a sizeable lump of money for it (which should have been converted to a body kit instead by now ).

Then I get home, and the head banging begins. Impossible to sync the phone to my PC by bluetooth (OK, maybe my PC needs to be reinstalled, it is starting to get quirky). Fine, I have a card reader and adapter on the PC, and can use the USB cable to sync, not convenient, but not a big deal.

I manage to open the pictures I took with it, and urgh, what a mess... The phone has some kind of built-in noise reduction system which basically gets rid of so much detail, everything seems crystallized at 100% picture size. The K800 didn't exactly produce pro-level pictures, but they were so much better.

On the other hand, video quality is very good, the high framerate recording does make it very nice and smooth.

Then, today, I borrow a friend's Nokia bluetooth stereo headset, to see how it works, as I am thinking of getting one myself, that way I can leave the big phone in my pocket, while listening to music wirelessly, and answering calls if needed. I pair it, I connect it, I launch the music player. Crappy monoaural weak sound with unbearable hissing....

So I do a bit more research on Nokia's site, the phone supports Bluetooth 2.0, there should be no problem getting stereo sound over it! Can't find much more information on their site. So I look for reviews, and basically the phone does not support the A2DP profile which allows this stereo sound. In fact, only about 3 phones in Nokia's range can support this. And none of them are their fancy "multimedia mini computer" N series, you have to use the bulky, annoying cable that sticks in the side of the phone, making it impossible to fit in but the biggest of pockets...

Bloody waste of money... And here it's not like in the US where you can return it to a shop and explain it's not to your liking, they'll laugh at you and buy it off at a nice low price... grrrrr

So yeah, the moral of the story, don't be a fool, do more research into what you wanna get, and sometimes, it's not worth it to go for the latest flashy shiny new thing... I guess this applies to just about anything anyway in this global consumerism society... I'm glad I made a good choice about my car

Anyway, rant over, thanks for your time if you've read this far (got nothing better to do?) Gotta find a way to get rid of this thing and get back a beloved K800...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
wow, i did have nothing better to do. sorry bout your frustrations. we never complain bout our phones since we always get the freebies from our service providers every 2 years. our cell phones are used strictly for calling, since what we've noticed is that when phones get packed with too much stuff, none of the stuff is ever great, just a bunch of okay-quality items. we've had nokias for a decade and they serve their purpose. if we need to take a picture, we use our canon digital. if we want music, the ipod. if we want bluetooth, then we remind our lazy asses that we dont have it and simply put our phones to our ears! the beauty of simple cell phones is how compact they get. dont really care for the bulgy pockets of owners of multimedia cellies...

--B
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
That's strange. My experience is kinda the opposite (albeit with the lower end of both brands). I had a Nokia 3200 for the longest, and finally replaced it when the on/off button fell off the phone. So, me and my dad went with a "flashy" Sony Ericsson z520, among other things because the Nokia our carried offered us without forking $$ had only 5m of memory compared to the Sony's 17m.
The end of the story is that I'm at the third unit because of the same flaw: I started to get white lines on the screen!! My dad had to replace it once too because of screen issues (the small screen would not work at all). Once the warranty expires on this phone and it dies, I'm going back to Nokia... I would never buy Motorola (their software sucks) and Lg/Samsungs while I never heard bad things about, I didn't hear good things about either.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Nokias are the ipods of the phone world.....
Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Razr is the way to go papa!
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
Nokias are the ipods of the phone world.....
if you mean they are both pieces of shit and never work right, then yes, Nokia's are the Ipods of the phone world
Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Poorboy

Drives: 07 liftback
don't say that! Nothing is as bad as an ipod! Nothing! The only company that I know of that refuses to stand behind there product no matter what the problem is. How much is tech support per hour at the apple store? what a joke. we have all been fooled. .........but i still use it every day all day despite the problems. Don't you love it when it shuts off for no reason and you lose your spot in shuffle so now you have to start all over again and hear the same tracks over and over............ i'm done i'm sorry
Poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I've had Nokias before, sure, but the lower end models... My first phone was a 3310, about as basic as it gets, but damn rugged. Then a few years ago I got a SE T610, and really started to like that series of phones from then on. It was followed by a K750, then the K800.

I had a Razr for a while, but could never get used to it... Gave it to my mom, she liked it and was the envy of all her friends

Oh well... I've slept on it, I will give this phone a chance, it might just grow on me...

Oh yeah and you guys have all these "free with contract" promotions for phones, not much of that stuff here, your phone is your phone, your SIM card is your SIM card.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
my 1st phone was a 3310 too! :) i was sooo cool in school cuz i was the 1st one to have it out of my whole school...everyone had a 5110......that was in year 8

I remember 1 month down the track everyone copied me with with the 3110. Now when in year 12...no one cared what phone u had, cuz we all matured. lol :)
Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

ehhehe the 3310 was the official phone of my "gang" in college
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1429.JPG (181.4 KB, 59 views)

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #11
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
niiice, that was our second "freebie" phone. that thing was awesome. i agree, rugged as hell, and the ability to make your own ringtones was great. before that, our first freebie was the 5190. the thing was brick, but i couldnt complain since all phones were bricks back then. i miss my 5190, good times...

--B
Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I've got a Nokia 3220 that's pretty much rock solid, but then again, it's very low-frill. My biggest complaint is that the video processor can't handle action games... too much lag to enjoy. That, and I'm still limited to polyphonic ringtones. But it's got cool flashing LEDs when it rings! Woohoo!

~YR
Old 02-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
I would just like a cell phone I could use in the house, instead of standing on one foot in the middle of the backyard pointing toward Mecca. My original Nokia was not too bad but bulky. The LG I bought sucked big time, wouldn't even pick up in the car, so now I'm using an old Motorola that's been dropped a thousand times. I hate Cingular!
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Nokias are the BEST phones around by my experience...

I started with the bulky 5110 back in 2001 I havent even broke until now then the 3310, I dropped it over a hundred times and still it works and a great pranker phone too.

after that I got the 6600 I dropped it at a skate ramp several times now my corolla and my pocket most of the time I probably dropped it for 20times now it still works... I LOVE THIS PHONE!

Now I got N93 "base" it works great the camera is like my old cybershot and video is very clear and the other stuff is like my 6600 except for the radio I dropped it once it still works... I just got it for 2 months so Im not sure about it.. but still, I guess there very reliable phones to have...

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote