Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #1
Pasable

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
ABS pump motor sound?

I just got this Yaris a few weeks ago and one of last annoyances to sort out is the short buzzing sound when I get the car moving. It sounds like an electric motor starting up. It only happens once or sometime twice when I get the car moving then it stops and no more sound. I think it's the ABS motor behind the battery because that where the sound seems to come from. Any ideas?
Pasable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
See if you can remove an ABS fuse or relay to see if the noise goes away. You might want to get the ABS system scanned for data & codes.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:55 PM   #3
Pasable

Okay I took out the ABS1/VSC1 fuse from under hood fuse box. No sound but of course the ABS light went on. When I put the fuse back in and started it again, the light stayed on until it made the buzzing sound. Then it went off so it's definitely the ABS motor. I think the brushes may be worn. There's kits available to rebuild just the motor. Has anyone here ever done this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38201439033...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by Pasable; 02-07-2023 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In Hawaii will a car pass inspection without the ABS working? If so, there’s no need to fix it. Statistically, ABS has not resulted in a substantial lowering of the accident rate or fatalities. Yes, it’s very impressive when you put it to a demonstration, but practically it doesn’t do anything to make you safer. Watch YouTube dash cam videos of accidents and you can see a very good demonstration of this. Somebody does something stupid somebody else slams on their brakes to avoid the stupidity and the cars collide anyway.

If you want to fix the brakes, you probably just need to replace the ABS module. But that Hass to be synced to the car is computer I bought a pick up truck at a used car lot and the ABS didn’t work. The guy had to replace the module and it took like a month in New Jersey. Your car won’t pass inspection if the ABS doesn’t work.

It’s like synthetic oil, ABS is just an illusion imposed on a gullible public.

Don’t believe it? Ask your insurance company if you get a discount for ABS brakes there isn’t any.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #5
Pasable

The ABS works fine. It just makes a short buzzing noise when I first get the car moving. I should probably just leave it alone unless someone has specific instructions on how to rebuild the motor.

I found this about the ABS:
Quote:
You may hear a click or motor sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the anti-lock brake system is in the self-check mode, and does not indicate a malfunction.
https://www.toyaris.com/brake_system-89.html

This is what I'm hearing but I'm sure it shouldn't be so loud.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:49 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Since my car is not equipped with ABS, I have no idea what normal should sound like. Keep in mind that these cars have basically nothing for sound dampening so little noises are easily heard. I say leave it be and if it eventually fails, so be it. It won't be like the car suddenly becomes un-drivable.