Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
JerseyJeff84

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Complete Fuel System Cleaner: Is it safe?

I know this may have been asked before, so I apologize, but my '10 Yaris Sedan currently has 20,000 miles on it, I happened to stumble upon GumOut Fuel Injector cleaner and used it back at 17,000. The bottle says to use every oil change or 3,000 miles, and while at Wal-Mart last week, I happened to see STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner which claimed it targeted four different areas as compared to GumOut just being for the fuel injectors. Being a complete product, it was double the price, but are these safe to use?

I'm somewhat OCD about keeping my car tip top shape and don't want to mess up something that isn't "broke." The car handles and drives excellent, I just look for little inexpensive things to possibly help it. Thanks in advance.
JerseyJeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Blue Beast

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door hatchback
I was wondering what fuel system cleaner is best for Toyota motor as well, my 2010 has 19k on the ODO and I was thinking of treating system soon. Can anyone weigh in about BG44K? I use it in my 2000 Chevy Silverado and it is the ultimate tune up in a can! A little expensive but I think it's worth it. Has anyone used 44K in a Yaris, please let us know?
TRD Sport Shocks, TRD Lowering Springs, TRD Rear Sway Bar
MOTEGI RACING MR121 RIMS 15 x 7, Kumho Ecsta RSX 205/55/15
TWM Short Shifter, Base & Cable Bushings, Weighted Hybrid Shift Knob
VG Shark Fin Antenna, De-badge factory emblems, TRD Black Chrome Badge
Blue Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
Fyi, there's also Gumout fuel system cleaner. It's the closest thing to Techron what we can get north of the border. I used it on mine once, didn't notice any difference whatsoever. But my Yaris is very low mileage.

Whether you really need to use it on every oil change...Probably unnecessary.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I use Lucas Fuel Treatment about twice a year.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Personally, I use "'Seafoam" fuel sys cleaner (originally developed to remove varnish in carburetors in outboard engines) also available at Wal Mart /Auto Zone etc.
I've been using it for about a decade now with great results.
I just pour a full bottle in a full gas tank.

BTW, even though US law mandates a minimal ammount of fuel sys cleaners in gas to be added at the distubution point, it is not enought to keep a fuel sys clean in the long run. Besides, the amount that is mandated is not that closly monitored to begin with. So, adding an aditional cleaner ocasionally is prudent and your not really adding anything that is not already in the gas
I used Seafoam in my Celica (bought new) about every 5k miles or so and it ran great when I sold it at about 85k miles.

Also, don't be suckered in by any gas marketing claims like shell's "nitrogen enriched gas" that is supposed to clean your fuel sys better.
Fact is, amines (a class of chemicals) are commonly added to gas as a cleaner and a property of all amines is a free nitogen atom. This is is where they get that useless nitogen gas claim . Fact is, every gas could make the same claim and shell gas is nothing special!

Keep in mind that you will hear some people say that adding a fuel sys cleaner does not make any noticable difference. Well, if a fuel sys is not that far gone to begin with, you will not feel a noticable difference. The idea is to keep a fuel sys clean so it does not get to the point where you will feel a noticable difference.

Dealers and other repair shops make big bucks cleaning neglected fuel sysyems.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-28-2012 at 08:43 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I've used Seafoam in my car now for the past two years (once a year). I used it in the gas tank, a vacuum line to the intake, and in the crank case (changed my oil after). Car felt a little better after each time.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Seafoam is pretty much the best thing I have used as well.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote