Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Lightbulb Do these gimmicky "electric superchargers" work at all?

Does anyone have any actual experience with putting either of these products into their Yaris?:

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

(this one is kind of like an electric fan that goes directly into your intake system.)

http://www.electricsupercharger.net/

(This one is more like a traditional super, except it is all plastic. The reason it is so cheap is because since it does not produce nearly as much boost as a "real" super, it is all universal parts and does not require custom fabrication and a bunch of other stuff like that which is why it is only about $175 and not $3500 like regular superchargers.)

The reason I am asking is because these things claim up to 15 HP gains for only about $200 worth of equipment? It sounds too good to be true to me, and I cannot find any reviews online at all. So, do they actually work at all? The manufacturers claim 15 HP gains, so what could you actually expect out of these? Can the advantages of the system outweigh the strain it puts on the electrical system? d

Call me crazy, but even though these sound gimmicky, at that price, it is almost cheap enough to just try them since I am not planning to do a real turbo or supercharger on my Yaris anyway!

So am I crazy or what?

Please ignore the Ferrari

Last edited by computerlove87; 03-26-2009 at 02:40 AM.
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
2006fronty

Drives: 2010 Mazda3 iTouring
I remember a couple years ago Sport Compact Car did an article on Thomas Knight's electric supercharger, I can't find a link to the original article but here's the link to the electric supercharger http://www.boosthead.com/updates.php
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006fronty View Post
I remember a couple years ago Sport Compact Car did an article on Thomas Knight's electric supercharger, I can't find a link to the original article but here's the link to the electric supercharger http://www.boosthead.com/updates.php
No, that is actually a legitimate supercharger that is known to actually work( and costs 2000$), I am looking for info on these really cheap, sub 200$ electric kits. Thanks for that site though.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hahaha I am waiting for tk-421 to chime in with his experiences

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Do not go for one of these! Not only is the product absolutely worthless, but also the costumer service is non-existent. You have been warned.

This is the original thread on the subject, but it looks like most of the information got lost in the hack.

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8903

This is what I received from electricsupercharger.net:

Even if the product was worth it, I would never recommend it to anyone based on the worst costumer service I've ever experienced (no, I'm not exaggerating). Please look elsewhere for your car modding needs.

Last edited by tk-421; 03-25-2009 at 04:53 AM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
What's not clear from that thread, tk-421, is did you ever buy it? We always want someone on this forum to be the first to buy worthless power enhancements. After all, Garm bought the "superchip".
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
What's not clear from that thread, tk-421, is did you ever buy it? We always want someone on this forum to be the first to buy worthless power enhancements. After all, Garm bought the "superchip".
Yes I did, see above.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Ha ha! You must have posted that as I was posting.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
lol this looks like a tube that restricts airflow with a computer fan in it!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerlove87 View Post
PS:
I am not talking about these horrible free spinning things that if you have one ounce of car knowledge you know they do nothing!!!:

In some ways, you are.
One thing to remember at all times: real power costs real money.
Anything that promises crazy gains for little to no investment
are worthless.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #11
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargoboy View Post
In some ways, you are.
One thing to remember at all times: real power costs real money.
Anything that promises crazy gains for little to no investment
are worthless.
It costs almost nothing to make the Yaris fast, you can add 500 HP to your car just by putting Micro Image stickers all over it.

I am probably going to try the E-ram electric supercharger and return it if it is crap. E-ram has actually been featured in Super Street magazine. I will try it in my Caddy first and then in my Yaris when I get it. I think it will work better in the caddy (if at all) because the intake and exaust systems in the caddy seams to suck (no pun intended) so this may help push air through faster.

I know the e-ram probably won't do anything for your top speed or your acceleration over 30 MPH, but it might help your low end speeds(from 0-30) because it might suck more air than a naturally aspirated intake. I'm a noob BTW.

Last edited by computerlove87; 03-26-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
No it doesn't, you can add 500 HP to your car just by putting Micro Image stickers all over it.
OK, that's the only exception to the rule.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
It costs almost nothing to make the Yaris fast, you can add 500 HP to your car just by putting Micro Image stickers all over it.

I am probably going to try the E-ram electric supercharger and return it if it is crap. E-ram has actually been featured in Super Street magazine. I will try it in my Caddy first and then in my Yaris when I get it. I think it will work better in the caddy (if at all) because the intake and exaust systems in the caddy seams to suck (no pun intended) so this may help push air through faster.

I know the e-ram probably won't do anything for your top speed or your acceleration over 30 MPH, but it might help your low end speeds(from 0-30) because it might suck more air than a naturally aspirated intake. I'm a noob BTW.

Just because a PAYING sponsor is featured, does not mean they make a quality product!
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Just because a PAYING sponsor is featured, does not mean they make a quality product!
Oh I dunno about that, I think Garm has a sticker dyno.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote