Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
guzziknight

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
New Owner's Opinions...

OK, so I've had my 08 Yaris S Sedan for just over 3 weeks now. I've put close to 1700 miles on it in that time. Here are my impressions:

I really, really like this car. Far more than I thought I would. I originally bought it because the price was right, and now I'm glad I did. I traded in the 08 Civic EX for the Yaris. The Yaris has better exterior styling, is quieter, handles better, is more comfortable, and gets better gas mileage than the Civic. The only place the Civic beats the Yaris is in the quality of the interior. The Civic's seems a little better, but not that much.

Gas mileage has been great. In the 4 times I've filled up, I've gotten, 34mpg, 35mpg, 40mpg and 38mpg. All this without drastically changing the way I drive. The biggest change was slowing down on the highway to 60-65mph. I was never able to get beter than 33 in the Civic, no matter how slow I went on the highway.

I looked at a Corolla before I bought the Yaris, and I'm so glad I didn't buy that. Not only is it not as good looking, there are a million of them on the road. Everywhere I turn, I see another Corolla. The same thing with the Civic. On the other hand, I rarely see a Yaris on the road, and when I do, it's never been an S model, sedan or LB. Makes me wonder why. I'm thinking most people just don't get it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just wanted to give my opinions here.

Yaniv
Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Good to hear you're so happy.

As for the rarity of Yaris "S" models. Yeah, you'll never see that many.
For some reason, Toyota limits the S's when it comes to the Yaris however they build tons of Corolla S's and Camry SE's.

All the times I ever visit a Toyota dealer, I've never once seen a new Yaris S available. It's too bad since they look so much better.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
well lately its been starting to scare me... too many yarii... they are starting to pop up like civics everywhere...

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Yaristrocrat
Basking in Yaris luxury

Drives: 2009 3-door liftback
I've had my Yaris for almost 2 months. I'm about to turn over my first 1,000 miles, and I've enjoyed every one of them. It's funny, but although I know that everyone else on the road probably just sees another sub-compact when I pass by them, I feel like I'm driving something special, something really unique.

I have no complaints about the car at all--for what I paid for it, I think it has a very nice interior, and I love the exterior paint job. It performs fine for my daily driver uses, and I appreciate it more every day as I see the price of regular unleaded continue to creep up by a few pennies.
Yaristrocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
chibipod

Drives: '09 3DR LB S MT Meteorite
In the 7 months I've had mine, I haven't seen another "S" LB on the road - what's the deal? I had no idea it was quite as special as it seems to be when I bought it (I just liked the styling and features better than the standard). But I do love it - and I've been averaging 42 MPG for the last 4 tanks.
chibipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
I have an 08 S LB. I think I have still only seen like 3 total on the street and maybe one or two at a show. As for non S models though, I see them all the time. I was having some fun today on the way home with another LB and a sedan. Both non S models though.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
guzziknight

I've seen maybe 20 or so non S models on the road since I got mine. A lot less than the other econocars. The only S I've seen was on the dealer show room floor, and it was a 3dr. They were asking almost 18K for it, which put it out of my price range.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I've seen a few 06-08 Yaris S sedans here in Washington State, but I have never seen a Yaris S Liftback in person.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Welcome to YW.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Glad you're happy. I think the Yaris sedan and the Yaris LB are 2 different cars entirely.
I'm pretty happy overall with my Yaris. It isn't my dream car, of course, but no major complaints either. I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel.

PS> Nice name, Yaristocrat! ;)
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
I traded in the 08 Civic EX for the Yaris. The Yaris..............is quieter

Yaniv
no way. no how. the yaris is a good car for the price, but isnt the 08 civic the current model civic? ive test driven it enough to say id bet my left nut (and my right nut) that the civic is decidedly quieter than the yaris.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
guzziknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
no way. no how. the yaris is a good car for the price. ive test driven the current generation civic enough to say id bet my left nut (and my right nut) that the civic is decidedly quieter than the yaris.
Sorry. One of the biggest pans of the Civic is the interior noise. I have a section of road on my commute where the surface is pretty rough. At highway speeds, the Civic is far noisier through that section than the Yaris. Also, when I use the Bluetooth speaker phone I have, it was always harder to hear in the Civic than the Yaris.

I put 19000 miles on the Civic, so this is all from personal experience. As I've said before, these are my opinions only; however, several salesmen at Honda dealers have agreed with feeling about the interior noise.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
I, too, as a new owner, have been highly impressed by the Yaris....I love it. I've come from being a twice MINI Cooper owner ('03 and '07) and while the MINI gives an upscale impression, past that the Yaris has much to offer that is equally clever (great packaging), economically comparable (mpg as good as a super-hypermiling Cooper), and technogically more sound (long-term reliability). The MINI is a more fussy car, imo (requires premium fuel, loads of brake dust, failing exterior body trim, extreme interior styling)...the Yaris is just nice and easy to live with. Now, I will say the MINI Cooper has great handling when pushed, but to me, as an urban driver, Yaris' extremely quick steering and crazy turning radius makes for more real-life fun. MINIs are also, in a way, trapped by a "look" that greatly challenges the aerodynamics of the car....the Yaris is free of that constraint. Nevermind the price difference between the two.

Anyway, I could go on, but imo, the Yaris is something of a secret weapon. It's benign (dare I say charming) appearance belies a very capable and athletic little car. Yes, other cars have strengths that suit their owners, but the Yaris also excels and, regardless of price point, we can be very proud of that!! In fact...I'd say the price point is just part of the fun!!!!
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
Yaristrocrat
Basking in Yaris luxury

Drives: 2009 3-door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Glad you're happy. I think the Yaris sedan and the Yaris LB are 2 different cars entirely.
I'm pretty happy overall with my Yaris. It isn't my dream car, of course, but no major complaints either. I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel.

PS> Nice name, Yaristocrat! ;)
Thanks, even though I MISSPELLED it, like a big doofus. I hope you don't think I'm a plagiarist, though--I just noticed it under your username a few days ago and I was thinking, "Aw, crap, they probably think I stole their idea!" I actually just thought of it out of the blue when I was choosing my name. I noticed several others had usernames with witty use of Yaris in the title, so that was the first thing that came to mind. We can share the name with no animosity, right?

And I agree with you about driving the Yaris--I get all happy when it's time to go driving. It's just a cool car and so much fun to drive. That's the way car ownership should be.
Yaristrocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I have had my Yaris for over 2 years and almost 25,000 miles and still look forward to driving it. I would have to say that for my particular taste it is the favorite car I have ever owned.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 06-18-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
I have to admit, I was a bit afraid of the decision to replace TJ with it. I had that jeep for 12 years and it was a heck of a fun car/truck/whatever.

But I don't regret it one bit now. Big yellow is great!
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristrocrat View Post
Thanks, even though I MISSPELLED it, like a big doofus. I hope you don't think I'm a plagiarist, though--I just noticed it under your username a few days ago and I was thinking, "Aw, crap, they probably think I stole their idea!" I actually just thought of it out of the blue when I was choosing my name. I noticed several others had usernames with witty use of Yaris in the title, so that was the first thing that came to mind. We can share the name with no animosity, right?

And I agree with you about driving the Yaris--I get all happy when it's time to go driving. It's just a cool car and so much fun to drive. That's the way car ownership should be.
Don't sweat it. I did think that the first time I noticed your nickname to be honest, but I got over it pretty quickly! Don't worry, I'll probably change that line when I think of something better to say. Keep the nickname, and enjoy the forum!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #18
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
I just finished my first road trip today and I absolutely love my car. For starters, moving from a 2002 Ford Focus to this car is a step up for me. The seats are way more comfortable because they are far more cushy, and particularly because they have height adjustment which is a huge plus since I'm pretty tall.

The exterior of my car is *very* good looking, and I *love* the white paint. The dealer put these black door guards on the doors, and it looks custom. Today on my first road trip I was driving down a suburban street and this kid of about 20 or so yelled nice car and was giving me the thumbs up and running behind the car, LOL.

This isn't normally the type of experience I would expect in driving such an affordable car. The handling is very good, and the pick up in the car is excellent. I'm very pleased so far, and fully expect this car to last me a long time.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote