Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
hellstang947

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Interior too big for it's own good...

This is mostly a comment, something I've considered but never experienced... until this past weekend.

I absolutely love driving this little car around. I make fun of it, but in a good way. And it's just fun to drive. It's not fast by today's standards, but it doesn't feel incredibly slow (other than a bit of lag I've mentioned on a previous thread). But... big but... I weigh 200 lbs... and my three buddies weigh roughly 200 lbs each...that 800 lbs added to the car makes a huge difference. I'd be interested in knowing an actual 0-60 time, but I can tell you, passing on the highway is no laughing matter. You better make sure you have room and time.

Anyway, like I said, just a comment, wondering what others' opinions are.
hellstang947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yes, the Yaris becomes underpowered when it has a full load in the car, even worse if you have the AC on.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Agreed, it's pretty easy to load it up to the point of being a slug. I've learned some valuable lessons this week about tire sizes and acceleration too: skinny tires accelerate faster than fat tires, unless you're waaaay under stock size.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I can tell a difference in acceleration with just 1 passenger in the car, especially going uphill with the AC on.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
The load-bearing capacity (according to Mr T) of my Yaris is sth like 800 lbs.

So when I have 4 people and some luggage on board my 1-litre three-banger and the A/C on, I take my sweet time when overtaking someone :)

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A vehicle of this size just 20 years ago would typically have 70 horsepower, if that. My 74 Beetle had 46 hp.

Yaris has 106 hp

The Yaris is a rocketship in comparison.

Drive responsibly!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
This weekend I had approximately an extra 550lbs going up and down mountain highways, man that felt sluggish indeed
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Agreed, it's pretty easy to load it up to the point of being a slug. I've learned some valuable lessons this week about tire sizes and acceleration too: skinny tires accelerate faster than fat tires, unless you're waaaay under stock size.
It all depends on the wheel/tire combo. Mine come in at 41.5 lbs, so that's quite a bit of weight. lol. I can definitely feel the difference when I'm using lightweight rims.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Heck, I noticed a difference when I filled up with gas this afternoon!

Still, I agree that the Yaris is a blast to drive. Honestly, I think it requires more skill being so down on power. I constantly pass faster cars on curvy roads or simply through better driving skills and tactics. Sure, on open straights I get left behind; but put a kink in the mix and most times I can keep up or even pass so-called "sports cars"...

Cheers! M2
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Yeah, the Yaris is more of a driver's car, and by this I mean driver's skill than mash and go.

I had a full load in my car (four people total and a FULL trunk of camping gear). I had the AC on full blast, and going up a rather steep hill in the camp grounds, I was still slowing down...in 1st gear!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
A vehicle of this size just 20 years ago would typically have 70 horsepower, if that. My 74 Beetle had 46 hp.
Now that I think about it, I had a used '66 Beetle with (I think) a 40 HP engine - it had a 1964 engine in it as the original engine blew up when someone else owned it. This was back in the 70's when the speed limit on I-465 was 70 MPH. There was a long hill on the eastside where the Beetle, even with the accelerator pushed all the way down, would slow down to 45 MPH going up that hill. There was no alternate route for me to take so I sold the VW to a friend.

No HP, no A/C, and no heat in the winter since there was no fan blower. Loved the sunroof though.

I can't remember what HP my 3 CRX's had but I'm thinking they were 92 HP?? None were the SI model.

The Yaris seems faster than all my past 4 cylinder cars. Even my 120 HP '97 Cavalier I traded in. But having more than the driver in the Yaris does make a difference.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
bronsin

The amazing thing is the Yaris gets the same or better mpg than that 40 hp Beetle even though it has 2 and 1/2 times the horsepower!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The amazing thing is the Yaris gets the same or better mpg than that 40 hp Beetle even though it has 2 and 1/2 times the horsepower!
Yeah!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I'm anal about keeping all extra weight out. I even have the small version of the local phone directory I need to have onboard, rather then the full sized one. Calling directory assistance would be even better I guess. About every other day I check and see if anything has accumulated and if so it's gone.

I also empty my pockets of all excess change, try and go to the bathroom, and don't feed the (small) dog before driving the Yaris. I don't re-fill the windshield washer tank until needed, too much weight. Of course no extra fuel is carried, I just get a gallon at a time. The Sirius sat radio saves the weight of cd's. When I pick up the mail and paper at the bottom of the hill, I throw out the junk mail and the sections of the paper I don't read before pulling the mountain, sure it's littering but no extra weight really pays off. Other then that I drive the Yaris like any other car. Oh yeah, I also make sure I shave before driving, and I keep the dog clipped short also.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
bronsin

My advice: Buy an ECHO and you presave about 200 pounds so poochy can let his hair grow long in winter.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
I'm anal about keeping all extra weight out. I even have the small version of the local phone directory I need to have onboard, rather then the full sized one. Calling directory assistance would be even better I guess. About every other day I check and see if anything has accumulated and if so it's gone.

I also empty my pockets of all excess change, try and go to the bathroom, and don't feed the (small) dog before driving the Yaris. I don't re-fill the windshield washer tank until needed, too much weight. Of course no extra fuel is carried, I just get a gallon at a time. The Sirius sat radio saves the weight of cd's. When I pick up the mail and paper at the bottom of the hill, I throw out the junk mail and the sections of the paper I don't read before pulling the mountain, sure it's littering but no extra weight really pays off. Other then that I drive the Yaris like any other car. Oh yeah, I also make sure I shave before driving, and I keep the dog clipped short also.
you're almost funny. enough so that i commented.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post

Reminds me of taking off every bit of jewelry (and using the restroom) before getting weighed at the doctor's office.