Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Dc1011

Drives: 08 yaris HB blue AT
Spark plug change .

So the dealer figured out that the "miss" I was feeling at idle was failing spark plug in cylinder 2. So I purchased 4 NGK iridium plugs.
Can anyone give insight on replacing them dyi. Someone said something about adjusting gap?
Thanks!
Dc1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I just did mine this summer at 60K for maintenance reasons. It is simple, just remove the nuts for the decorative cover and the plugs are right there. I believe the same size socket that loosened the cover nuts is the same as the bolt you'll loosen for the coil overs.

Everything I read said you should not gap iridium plugs-they are set and gaping could damage the coating on the tip. NGK also says you don't need to use anti-sieze as the threads are treated with a one time install coating. If the plugs are ever removed and put back in then you need the anti-sieze. You can't mess up the coil order as they only reach the plug that they pop down on. This is really simple and only took me 1/2 hour.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc1011 View Post
So the dealer figured out that the "miss" I was feeling at idle was failing spark plug in cylinder 2. So I purchased 4 NGK iridium plugs.
Can anyone give insight on replacing them dyi. Someone said something about adjusting gap?
Thanks!
Do not alter the gap it is preset. A very light copper grease on the threads, never mind the 'precoating'. screw in by hand they will screw in easily this is to prevent cross threading. They must be torqued correctly the plug manufacturers usually give the correct settings on their website. They will give a range, e.g. 15 - 20 lb.ft. Take the lower setting because the threads are greased. If you cannot find the torque post the plug reference number and I will tell you.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote