Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
bewley

Drives: 2010 Liftback
My 2010 Liftback; Feels like I just gave birth!

I am so delighted to announce the arrival of my new (barely used) 2010 manual liftback with 8100 miles on it! Many of you can sympathize with the fact that I have coveted this model since its inception, and even the echo before it.

After driving it for several hours today, I couldn't be happier. I've been driving an amazing 1996, 4 cylinder geo metro hatchback for the last four years, and before that, a type 3 vw fastback, so you can imagine how much power I feel this baby has by comparison! The metro and fastback were amazing rides but I never even felt like speeding in either car (the metro was so loud at 70 mph and driving the fastback was like driving a motor boat on the highway). Believe me, I've also owned cars that have driven me, mainly a bmw 535i and a maxima); neither was as fun to drive. I'm a hypermiler (not pathologically/unsafely so) and I'm worried I'll be tempted to go faster and thus less efficiently in this, which is why my first and possibly only mod will be cruise control (the car came with the power package, keyless entry, and an alarm). I'm terrified to take the airbag out (I'm a chick and I'm kinda a little daft at anything more extreme than an oil change, not that I should blame my ignorance on my chickishness). If anyone in the Northeast would want to help me install it, i'd be happy to pay you for your time. I'd love to be present though and kinda do it with you, if that's possible. PM me if you have the time and interest. I'll of course drive to you (all I want to do is drive this thing, after all). Thanks for reading, and also thanks for all of the amazing posts that compelled me even further to get a Yaris. You guys are great! I'm so happy with this purchase!
bewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Welcome. If you are not too far from the CT border, come visit and I will help you install your cruise control. I even have the OEM parts on hand for a fraction of what they sell for.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Lippitt

Drives: honda accord
My 2010 Liftback NYC – New York

2010 Toyota Yaris 4dr liftback Rice Toyota, Greensboro, NC
youtube.com/watch?v=jtMO6e42SDk

Trendy video you will learn a lot…
Lippitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
bewley,

Welcome.

I think I can speak for almost everyone here that I wouldn't pass on an offer from CTScott to assist with anything regarding your car.

cheers.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
bewley,

Welcome.

I think I can speak for almost everyone here that I wouldn't pass on an offer from CTScott to assist with anything regarding your car.

cheers.
^^^^^This.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
bewley

CtScott, I feel like I am talking to my favorite rock star or something (after reading all of your amazing posts for a few weeks). And thanks for recommending him, guys! Scott, I would be so honored if you would help me with the Cruise Control and of course I'd be delighted to buy the OEM parts from you (and to see your moonroof in person; hope you've installed the drool protection mod). Would you pm me with a possible day and time that works for you and thanks so much!

Lippitt, thanks for the video. That's my color too! Didn't know it was wired for satellite radio. I guess that's good since I'm unfortunately finding the stock antenna kind of weak (my favorite radio station, WFMU, is in Jersey. the geo had no problem with reception, and that was with a wire hanger).

More significantly, I had a bit of a frustrating day. LOVED driving the Yaris, simply great handling by my weird standards, but by the end of a fairly long trip in traffic today, my right front brakes were squeaking loudly when engaged, which is a little troubling given the fact that there are only 8200 miles on the car presently. I coast as often as possible but obviously had to brake some in traffic. i checked brakes during the test-drive and found them totally responsive. Also, I put the ac on for a little to just check out how well it cooled and at long stop lights, I could feel the brake pad trembling as the car labored to keep the idle. Never stalled out but the tremble was disheartening. The car looks, smells and drives brand new aside from that. Clean carfax, no signs of damage or signs of odometer tampering, single owner, and bought from a major Chevy and Buick dealership. Do you think this sounds alarming? Should I bring it back to the Chevy dealer for servicing or just bring it to my guy for a tune-up, or to Toyota (it's still under the three year warranty, supposedly).
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I got my cruise control stuff from CT and it was great. nice, easy, clean install instructions. it really looks good and works flawlessly. definitely worth the money.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I'll hit you with a PM and maybe we can turn it into another group install day / meet.

As for the brakes and A/C, I would bring it back for a check out. The brakes shouldn't be that bad with that low of mileage unless the car took some abuse. Also, idling with the A/C on should not make it run rough.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
bewley

Good to know, Beef! I have no doubt.

CTScott, I think you're right and I will bring it in. I just drove it some more and it was absolutely fine. I don't get that squeak or the idle issue any longer. Weird but I'm bringing it in. Just say the word about an install day. Sounds like fun. My best friend just moved to Fairfield County a week ago and it's a perfect excuse to visit her.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yay fairfield county meet! lol let us know a few weeks in advance, i need time to demand a weekend off lol
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
bewley

Cool, Enviri! Looking forward to it.

So according to my mechanic, the right front brakes are in nearly new condition. He says I can replace the pads if the squeak bothers me but it's unnecessary. He also said that the idle isn't rough at all and he was confused by my worry (I replicated the idling hiccups I felt with the ac on). He said the car was in great condition. Game on! One slight frustration is that the tire pressure sensor light is on. I found a few receipts in the back seat pouch so I know the former owner had rims. I'm thinking the sensor was never reset when the rims were removed. My mechanic urged me to just leave the light on but I find it slightly annoying that the dealer appears to have cleared the light for my test drive. I don't give a hoot about the feature but I'm a little concerned about the ramifications of getting rid of the light. I'm still under the Toyota warranty; can't Toyota tell through a scan whether I've tampered with the sensor? my mechanic says i won't have trouble passing ny inspection next year. I got this car for $3000 under blue book so I'm not gonna bring it back to the dealer (i would have had my mechanic not been so glowing regarding everything else) ... anyway, i really don't want to have toyota fix this sensor. when i was looking at used yarises, at least half of their carfaxes reflected dealership repair of tire pressure sensors, which i was troubled by [albeit rather stupidly]. anyway, i guess i feel like if i'm reselling down the line, it's easier to just tell a dummy like me that an irrelevant feature doesn't work than to explain an ominously worded carfax entry regarding a repair. any thoughts. sorry for babbling. i promise i'm done.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

When you come by for the cruise install, we can connect my techstream tool and find out which sensor has an issue (provided that the sensors are even present, with the rim change). Are the tire valve stems rubber or metal?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
bewley

Thank you so much, CtScott. Gee, I guess that's what my mechanic meant by "the sensors aren't there." His English isn't great so I thought he meant that the sensors weren't properly detecting the pressure, but he did use those words. I think the tire stems are metal. I decided to add some pressure today (to go from 35 for 40 since the sensor light doesn't work anyway) and had a heck of time getting air into my tires. My friend tried as well and he had trouble. I was finally able to but it was weird. Is this common?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
bewley

Bridgestone Potenzas, in case this could possibly matter.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
could be a faulty tps sensor, or a sensor that wasn't synced up to the ecu, like how it is in my case.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
bewley

Enviri, does that present a problem for you in any way, aside from the light being on?

i went down to the car just now and the tire was completely flat, the one that wasn't accepting air earlier. i guess i tore the valve some when I jammed the chuck on. i haven't had a flat in at least ten years (driving in NYC the whole time) and i get one on the fourth day with the car... after being concerned about this pressure sensor thing. could it be that 40 psi was too high? seems unlikely. lots of glitches but i still love this baby.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I had a flat last week. Damn, i don't how long it has been like that. I swear when i pumped up the left rear, it always indicated loss air pressure. Then just last week i saw a damn NAIL wedge smack bang in the middle when i was pumping it up (which i do every 2 weeks).I must of been driving with a flat tyre for a few weeks or even months.

BTW it's 32 psi or 33 psi for the rear.40 is ridiculous!
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
bewley

when i get this fixed tomorrow morning, is there anything specific i need to ask for regarding the valve if down the road i want to replace the sensors? sorry for all the lame questions.