Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #37
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Yeah Sydney based. Never know, someone might beat me to it with the slow progress I'm making :)
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #38
saikouguy

Drives: Toyota Echo
Should jump on our Facebook groups and show your ride we're looking to do a meetup soon in Sydney.

'Vitz Club Australia' & 'Sydney Yaris / Vitz club'
saikouguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #39
Bugeye

Drives: Black Yaris
How is this going ??
Bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #40
stidnam

Progress has been slow. I've been preoccupied with other things.

I've purchased a new clutch kit and I've also purchased a Quaife ATB/LSD, but haven't had it installed yet.

I've finishing the mapping for all the wiring on paper and can throw that up if anyone is interested.

Next step is for me to purchase another Yaris at the salvage auctions so I can transplant everything in that shell and prove it'll all work before I rip a perfectly functional car apart :)

I'm also still exploring options for shifter cables. I'd like genuine ones, but having trouble getting a hold of any at a decent price. I still have the fallback option to get custom cables made up and will probably go that way.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #41
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Awesome! I'd be happy to look over the wiring diagrams if you want a second set of eyes on them.

Someone was asking in another thread about an LSD for the EC6X gearboxes. What model did you get?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 AM   #42
stidnam

Thanks Cranky. I'll take you up on that offer. Will upload as soon as I find an appropriate format - currently in spreadsheet form at the moment. Have mapped the pin changes for the body side of the ecu loom as well as the fuse box connector. Everything looked fairly straight forward with some joining of common power and the addition of the corolla fan controller.

I've purchased a QDF29E. I have found someone here in Aus who has installed that centre in the exact same gearbox, so fairly confident in it fitting. I'd responded to that other thread as well and I'd put money on the centre fitting any ec6x box, but the cost of the centre warrants doing a little more research on that guys part.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #43
stidnam

Here's the ECU body side mapping between the Yaris and the Corolla. The pins on the Yaris loom will need to be de-pinned and re-pinned to match the Corolla plug. I'll also have to add a new wire for the fan controller and run another circuit for that, potentially.

Here's the fuse box plugs for the corolla - two of them. The BA1 mapping column is the Yaris BA1 pin reference.

And here's the Yaris BA1 pinout that matches the Yaris BA1 reference in the previous image.

Ignore the colours on the last two images. They were just my way of checking off what I'd already matched.

Disclaimer - for anyone thinking about using the above, please do the mapping for yourself. I haven't proven this mapping to be correct. Also this mapping is specific to a 2012/13 Australian spec Yaris and 2012 Australian spec Corolla. Also I understand my labeling of source and destination will technically not be correct if you consider the power source to be the true source. Don't over analyse it ;)

Last edited by stidnam; 10-10-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #44
CrankyOldMan

That's definitely the right way to do this. The good news is that the fuse box connectors are simple enough to swap using a very small needle/pin and a watchmaker screwdriver. The ECU smaller pins are much harder to remove without damaging them.

I found a video that has a neat trick for being able to take them out without the crazy tiny tool that would otherwise be required: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uW-QeclHmU
Old 10-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #45
stidnam

Sweet! Thanks for that. I had been wondering how to de-pin that connector. I'd picked up the body harness from the Corolla to play with, saw the locking tabs, and then decided it was all too hard in the moment and then put it away for another day. Pretty straight forward once you get that pin cover off though!
Old 10-13-2019, 04:00 AM   #46
stidnam

I tested fitted some 17" MX5 ND wheels today (fronts). Unfortunately the 215/45 R888s scrub the inner front guards pretty bad :(. The size, surprisingly, actually suits the car well in my opinion. Might investigate some 205/45 rubber. Has anyone run 205/45R17 with a +45 offset without scrubbing inner guards?

On a completely different topic, I'm also keen to get some feedback from those who have done the 2zr conversion - given the Engine ECU dictates the throttle curve, did you notice better throttle response when switching from the 1nz to 2zr? Rev matching on the downshift is so frustrating with how the factory throttle curve is programmed. The first 15% of the throttle does nothing, and the rest of the throttle feels like stepping on a wet sponge.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #47
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I noticed better throttle response but i also installed a lightened flywheel so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.

Im also using the Xd trans with different gearing..

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #48
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I don't know that I can weigh in on the throttle response thing either with the Scion xD ECU and turbo. But, before I modified the 2ZR, it seemed more responsive than the 1NZ.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #49
3rdSEman

Drives: Black 2012 SE manual
205/45R17 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on RPF1 17X7 ET43 & stock 2012 SE suspension clears nicely all around no rub
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_183141.jpg (228.7 KB, 148 views)
3rdSEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #50
stidnam

Champion! Thank you! Close enough to make me start seriously looking for tyre options.

Thanks guys for the feedback on the throttle. I'd been speculating that Toyota put a pretty big curve in the Yaris throttle given the target market and type of car it is. I still need to investigate pedal options as well. The height and spacing of this pedal in relation to the brake is horrid.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #51
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
The height and spacing of this pedal in relation to the brake is horrid.
Agreed. They definitely were not looking at making it easy to heel-toe on this setup.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #52
stidnam

I happened to be in Tokyo this week and stopped in at one of the Autobacs. To my surprise I found they stock Neoplot pedals. It was a little on the expensive side, but thought I'd give it a punt. The position looks better than stock - 20-30mm higher off the floor and a touch to the left.

I'll install it in the coming weeks and provide some feedback as to whether it was worth it.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:33 AM   #53
Bugeye

Drives: Black Yaris
Cool mate. Thanks for the update.
I’m still going to attempt mine eventually, but scared of wiring. Might go haltech (mmmaaaaayyybbbe)
Bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #54
stidnam

Just a small update. The latest MCM video provided a little motivation and I thought it was about time I made some progress. So I went and bought another Yaris..

The plan is to strip the motor and gearbox out of this one so I can test fit the 2zr and EC60 into this chassis, wire it all up, sort the shifter cables and exhaust, and then transplant it all into the other Yaris.

Soo...anyone in Sydney want to buy a 1NZ motor? :)