Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2022, 02:03 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hooking up an inverter to your car is battery

While drawing AC power from the inverter, is it OK to have the engine running to provide DC voltage? Or does the engine have to be shut off while drawing AC power?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Before I retired, we had several work vehicles that had inverters installed to run various pieces of equipment. I also have A couple of small inverters that plug in to the lighter socket.

The only problem I have had is when my son was using one of the plug in inverters. It was working fine while we were driving. It was working fine wheil we were parked with the ignition switch in the accessories position. It died when it was in use while starting the engine.

From this experience, my suggestion would be that engine running or not are both okay, but best to turn the inverter off while starting the engine, as the inverter may not like trying to run at the lower voltage while the starter is cranking.