Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
Suspension improvements at stock ride height

Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 5-door hatch that I recently inherited as my daily driver (wife got a new car so I get her Yaris). I'm really enjoying the small size and nimble handling of the Yaris, but I would like a slightly tighter handling car for a more sporty feel. From what I gather on YarisWorld, a rear swaybar and perhaps some stiffer struts/shocks would do the trick. I am currently running the OE 15" steel wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 185/60/15 tires that are going to be replaced this fall with snow tires (I live in MN). Come next spring, I plan to leave the snow tires on the 15" steels and buy a set of 16" alloys and wrap them with some 205/50/16 tires.

Anyways, I wish to keep the stock ride height on the Yaris. MN winters often involve a fair amount of snow so every inch of ground clearance I can get will help this little car get me around when the time comes. I've tried looking for stiffer springs at the factory height, but it seems all aftermarket springs with a stiffer rate result in the car being lowered some amount. I do not consider myself all that knowledgeable about cars, but I am led to understand that if you install stiffer struts/shocks, it is better to pair them with stiffer springs?

If I cannot have stiffer shocks/struts/springs installed and maintain the original ride height, then I would rather just remain stock there and get the rear sway bar. I plan to buy from MicroImage and I see a 19mm and 23mm bar is offered. Any recommendations on which would go better with the stock suspension?

Thanks.
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote