Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Carpe_Diem
sells rhymes like dimes

Drives: 08 LB MM
Send a message via AIM to Carpe_Diem
sell/trade

just out of curiosity, what would be the cheapest / smartest way to trade in my 08 LB auto trans for any LB with a manual trans? go through the dealer? or private party?
Carpe_Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
you'd have to shop around to see what you can find private or dealer...

either way itll require some footwork
Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Are you looking to get a comparable used one (similar age and mileage to yours)?

If so, I'd try to find one at a dealer comparable and see if they'd trade straight up with you. In fact, they'd rather have your auto as it is easier to re-sell.

If you want new, then of course it's gonna cost you.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Carpe_Diem
sells rhymes like dimes

Drives: 08 LB MM
Send a message via AIM to Carpe_Diem
haha i'd rather get one used, seeing as mine has close to 38,000 miles on it and it's only a year old
Carpe_Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
you bought the auto. live with it. trading in a 1 yr old car is a awful idea from a financial standpoint, and with 38,000 miles on it, its even worse.

if you are going to do it anyway, selling it privately will almost always yield you more than a trade in. i cant see that a dealer would have much interest in a yaris right now. around here, there are yarii lined up all over the dealer lots. i just read somewhere that toyota has between a 75 and 100 day supply of yarii and the dealer where i bought my told me he has a full lot of inventory and couldn't even take inventory that was supposed to arrive.

additionally, if you have done very many mods to your car, that drives dealers interest down even more, as they rarely care to put modded cars on their used lots.

wait a year or two when gas will (probably) approach $3.50-$4.00/gallon. Yaris and demand will be up.

Last edited by roxy1; 05-17-2009 at 07:44 AM.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
You will have to eat $3-$4k in depreciation on the 08 to get that manual 09 tranny.Be nice if you could find some one with a similar manual equipped car who wished it were an automatic and make a straight trade.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You will have to eat $3-$4k in depreciation on the 08 to get that manual 09 tranny.Be nice if you could find some one with a similar manual equipped car who wished it were an automatic and make a straight trade.

this could be a sound solution if you dont owe on your car. while theoretically an auto would be valued higher than a similarly equipped manual, your high mileage would probably even that out to some degree.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_Diem View Post
just out of curiosity, what would be the cheapest / smartest way to trade in my 08 LB auto trans for any LB with a manual trans? go through the dealer? or private party?

If you are intent on replacing the car. Wait until the early fall as fuel prices will spike as they nearly always do. If there are still 09' to be had they'll also be at yearend pricing. Bummer on the high mileage. It's going to hurt resale no matter the cars condition. Depending on the strength of the economy a private party sale should bring you more cash than dealer trade-in.

Dealers aren't looking for trade-ins right now especially higher mileage trades. By my best guess I lost $800 to $1,200+ by trading my 05' Mercury Grand Marquis in when I did, and my mileage was slightly over average at 75,500 at tade-in time. Since the $500 extra rebate was expiring in a few days at the beginning of May. I didn't even consider a private party sale.

While I was discussing the pending purchase with friends during the week before I drove to Nevada to buy, I got two offers which were more than the trade-in dollars offered for vehicle. Actually, quite a bit more money if I had waited.

I chose to go for the bird in the hand rather that the promises of the two in the bush. I suspected that both would have funding issues and I won't hold paper in this day and age.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote