Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
Lift springs?

Unlike the majority of folks here, I am interested in slightly lifting my Yaris. I plan to be driving it year-round and the winters can get messy and snowy where I live. I also make regular trips to a friend's cabin out in the woods so I will be doing some minor off-roading and driving on dirt trails. I think a little bit more ground clearance would make for a pretty capable little car - like the Subaru XV, which basically is a lifted Impreza.

I only see aftermarket lowering springs available, but are there aftermarket lift springs or compatible springs from another car that would gain an extra 1" of ride height? Can the stock shocks and struts accommodate a lift?

Thanks.
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I really think this thing is up high as it is! What you need IMHO is some studded (or not studded) winter only tires!
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I Initially looked for stiffer / longer springs for Crashy, but it seemed like I would really have to acquire a few different ones and test them out to find the best option. Looking on ebay and in local junkyards, I couldn't find cheap options to experiment with, so I ended up just making my lift kit for the existing suspension.

The existing shocks and struts would be fine with the lift from different springs. I also considered fabricating spacers for the OEM springs, but that seemed like more work than my strut base extensions.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
j-san

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
I will be running a set of dedicated winter tires, but tires can only work when they contact the ground! I have gotten the Yaris stuck on snow drifts at intersections after the plows came through. Most annoying is when they leave a big wall of snow right where you have to stop at either a light or stop sign and lose all forwards momentum. So long as I can maintain momentum, I've been able to drive through all but the deepest snow, but there are times where I can just feel and hear the bottom of the car dragging on the snow. My old car (1998 RAV4) had excellent ground clearance and I never once got it stuck, even after having been plowed in while parallel parked.

Some spacers sound like they could be a relatively inexpensive idea. Something to fit on the spring perch to give an extra inch of lift. CTScott, how much higher is your Crashy than a normal Yaris?
j-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-san View Post
I will be running a set of dedicated winter tires, but tires can only work when they contact the ground! I have gotten the Yaris stuck on snow drifts at intersections after the plows came through. Most annoying is when they leave a big wall of snow right where you have to stop at either a light or stop sign and lose all forwards momentum. So long as I can maintain momentum, I've been able to drive through all but the deepest snow, but there are times where I can just feel and hear the bottom of the car dragging on the snow. My old car (1998 RAV4) had excellent ground clearance and I never once got it stuck, even after having been plowed in while parallel parked.

Some spacers sound like they could be a relatively inexpensive idea. Something to fit on the spring perch to give an extra inch of lift. CTScott, how much higher is your Crashy than a normal Yaris?

A Yaris with stock springs has 5.8" of clearance. Crashy has 12". My lift kit is only 4", but she has no front bumper, fenders, or bumper supports, and her plow frame, which replaces those, weighs a whole lot less than they did.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Buy a 4x4. Yaris is wrong vehicle for deep snow, I know I live in it.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
BFG All Terrain tires, in size 195/75-14, add at least 1" of additional clearance. However, that size is one of the few sizes that isn't "snow" rated.

They also clear the stock wheel wells, though I haven't driven it to see about rubbing. I suspect rubbing in front when wheels are fully turned.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote