Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
amethystlady

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
New to Yaris

We recently purchased a 2008 Yaris sedan after having our 2003 Corolla totaled by an uninsured, unlicensed driver.

We LOVE this car, probably because the sedan "S" really looks a lot like the Corolla "S".

I have some questions about this car...first one is:
What generation is the 2008?

I just learned today that the jack is under the driver's seat?

Why is our air pressure system warning light on? (not now-had air put in left rear tire.) This light was on before we bought the car and the dealer had the service guys go over it and all 4 tires showed different pressure.

There are probably more questions, but wanted to start there. Isn't under the seat a very strange place to put a tire jack? I guess its no stranger than the cup holders being right in front of the air/heat vents. lol

Any answers will be a big help in getting to know our 'new' used car....we did love that Corolla...had it from its birth....then POW! BAM! CRASH! CRUNCH! OUCH!

The moment we saw this Pacific Blue Metallic baby we fell in love again. Its a nice ride!

amethyst
amethystlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Grats on the 2008 Yaris S Sedan. It's a sharp looking little sedan, in my opinion. I'm not sure if the sedan is technically a 2nd gen or not, but the 2008 hatchback is, so I guess it is by default.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
amethystlady

ok...thanks. don't know if it makes any difference in anything....lol...
We almost bought a 2007 Scion, but the 'check engine light' was on and stayed on, and we didn't have the car long enough to see if it would go off by itself after re
-closing the gs cap, etc. We had that happen once with our Corolla and the dealer then was going to charge us well over $1200 to 'fix' it...said the codes showed a bad converter....however, I had read the manual, and we took it to a private mechanic who said he could do it for about $800, but told us to drive it around for a while and see if it went out by itself. It did! We now have a new mechanic who we take our vehicles to and who cost far less than a dealer....
Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Did u look under the seat and confirm the jheck is really there?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
amethystlady

I've tried but I don't feel any 'door' as someone described, and can't see anything showing anything that could hold a jack. Hubby was going to look but hasn't yet. I learned from this forum that its supposed to be there, and looked in the owner's manual, and that says its there too....but not sure what to look for either. It may also be the former owner put it in the trunk? If nothing else, will go to a Toyt dealer and have them show us. Just a really strange place to put a jack.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
Tapokata

Drives: 2009 Yaris

Jack is located under the driver seat, took lit will be in a pouch next to the spare, in the trunk.
Tapokata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
amethystlady

Thanks for the larger pic

I felt under the seat but felt nothing. Its all the way forward. Is that a fabric or hard plastic case? Are those bolts or screws that have to be loosened? I still can't get over the jack under the driver's seat.

Will try again tomorrow. If all else fails, its off to a dealer. lol

Thanks again
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #8
amethystlady

I just watched a video that I sought, on how to remove the jack from under the driver's seat on a 2012 Yaris...I'm sure in the daylight tomorrow between the 3 of us, hubby, grandson and I, we can surely locate this thing on our 2008, if it in fact is still there.

I swear, that is the LAST place I would EVER look for a jack.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
If you DO have a jack, just put in in a pouch in the trunk, where it's supposed to be. That way you'll always know where it is.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
If you DO have a jack, just put in in a pouch in the trunk, where it's supposed to be. That way you'll always know where it is.
Why is it "supposed to be" in the boot/trunk? What's wrong with under a front seat? It is made perfectly clear in my handbook where it is located and how to remove it.
Is the spare wheel/tyre supposed to be in the boot/trunk too?
I remember, many years ago, with the Renault 5, the spare wheel/tyre was on top of the engine under the bonnet/hood!
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote