Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Jen

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Flint Mica swirls

My 2008 yaris has flint mica paint. I never owned a dark color car before and didn't realize or ever notice that cars get swirly scratches from car washes. My yaris did get swirls from its first car wash. Now that I have figured this out I never use a brush on my paint and always hand wash carefully or just pressure washed it. Now I am wanting to fix the swirls. The paint has sparkles so I was wondering if the swirls could still be buffed out without affecting the sparkles? I was thinking to take it to a detail shop? Anyone have their flint mica buffed?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
claybar it or maybe meguires scratch X it. then of course wax it.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
My 2008 yaris has flint mica paint. I never owned a dark color car before and didn't realize or ever notice that cars get swirly scratches from car washes. My yaris did get swirls from its first car wash. Now that I have figured this out I never use a brush on my paint and always hand wash carefully or just pressure washed it. Now I am wanting to fix the swirls. The paint has sparkles so I was wondering if the swirls could still be buffed out without affecting the sparkles? I was thinking to take it to a detail shop? Anyone have their flint mica buffed?
My Nautical Metalic Blue has the same issue. In all my years of motoring I've never experienced auto paint as soft as that of the Yaris. It's almost as if it was never baked at the factory. Very disappointing.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I wonder is it environmentally correct paint? The paint on my 2000 and 2001 ECHOs (silver) is still in excellent like new condition.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Please, please, please do not use circular movements when washing your car. Only use linear movements when washing with a "long-hair" wash mitt.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
My Nautical Metalic Blue has the same issue. In all my years of motoring I've never experienced auto paint as soft as that of the Yaris. It's almost as if it was never baked at the factory. Very disappointing.
Thin paint is a common complaint with the Yaris. Consumer Reports had noted that when I bought my Yaris. I therefore plan on waxing mine a lot more than I waxed my last car. The paint on the Yaris is just thin and needs more protection.

There are a lot of waxing / washing tips in this thread

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Myself, I bought some Meguiar's Scratch X, on this forums' recommendation and also car enthusiasts I know from the neighborhood; one friend was able to remove a huge scratch someone made while her car was in a parking lot, with Scratch X. I also bought 2 different kinds of waxes (from Meguiars) as well for protection.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I've waxed my car twice in almost 3 years and 74k miles. The paint is still shiiiiiiiny. I take it through crappy auto car washes too... I guess I never brushed my car, but I keep it shaved.

(seriously though why would you brush a car?)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
twice only??

I only hand wash my car, and i wax it at least twice a year. meguiar's gold class only lasts about 3 months. I use 400$ paint scellant (of course i don't pay that price) twice a year, and then when i have time, i do meguiar's gold class in between.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Paint jobs these days are "bad" on all cars not just Toyota Yaris. And as folks have said, do NOT take your car to a car wash unless it is a "touchless" one. And at that I strongly recommend washing by hand with cloth mit. Do not use sponges.

In agreement on using Meguiars; very good.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote