Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Drives: 07 Red Yaris S & 95 Miata
Autocrossing

Has anyone with a Yaris autocrossed it yet? My local autocross club's next event is on July 9th at California Speedway. We're planning on taking our
S sedan there and putting it through it's paces. I think it'll do pretty well.
If anyone has, how did it handle? Is there anything I should look out for?
Lizardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I autocrossed my xB for the first time last weekend. Considering the platforms are similar, here's my advice. There's a lot of understeer. I've got the Progress 22mm rear sway bar on my xB, and that helps rotation. The chassis is pretty forgiving, sans the understeer (which will come with any FWD car). I'm also lowered on Tein S-Tech springs, but still had a fair amount of body roll. I also have 205/50/16 Yokohama ES100 tires (on custom rims), which also helps. I think the Yaris in stock form wouldn't be bad at all. Small, light and nimble. Have fun!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
I haven't autocrossed mine, but just from driving around town I can tell you right off the bat the stock tires aren't going to cut it. It's really easy to get some wheel spin in the tight stuff.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
someone here already autocrossed his liftback...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=autocross

you should be the first to autocross with sedan here...

a video from youtube... if you consider this autocrossing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOuZp6MflE&search=yaris
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I'm a noob at "autocrossing" so you pretty much take your stock car and race it around a track or something like that? Not to disrespect anyone who has autocrossed their Yaris but personally I wouldn't (if I owned one), especially if just got it new then again that goes for any car new (IMHO). Unless they have lots of money and don't care, but i"m not too sure the nature of this event...help I'm a noob! As for the last link the guy "trashing" his Yaris sedan...I've seen that one already and I think he's an idiot...he could not only hurt himself in a public place but someone else as well as the car! Another noob question...do you autocross for money or credibility or just for fun?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
All I can tell you is how the hatch handles... it does tend to push in the corners and really digs in on the outside front wheel. However, creativley using your left foot on the brake pedal can invoke some pretty wild snap oversteer than can be controlled with the gas pedal. the chassis is great but the stock suspension, while not horrible, does wallow a bit. the gears are pretty tall for all but the most open courses, as I suspect you will see (Although the fontana courses tend to be pretty wide). The sedan should behave a little more subdued with less snap but also more understeer, just remember to dig deep with the brakes before the the corner entrance and release them before just before your car starts turning... this should shift the most amount of weight over the front wheels as possible, thus reducing understeer. Forget fancy trail-braking techniques as this is an underpowered FWD car, not a 500hp mid engine car that needs finesse through the corners. Also... lower your front tire PSI and raise the rear pressure.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Cars are meant to be used. Not abused.. but motorkhana isn't abusing the car. As long as the oils/water are to operating temperature, you can go all out to the redline as much as you want (within reason) and leave long periods of cooling down time. I wouldn't hesitate taking a Yaris on the track.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
Cars are meant to be used. Not abused.. but motorkhana isn't abusing the car. As long as the oils/water are to operating temperature, you can go all out to the redline as much as you want (within reason) and leave long periods of cooling down time. I wouldn't hesitate taking a Yaris on the track.
Also, you should know that American autocross is pretty different from Japanese gymkhana, which is probably closer to the stuff you have down under. the turns aren't as sharp and the coarse is more like a road coarse. Also, it is alot less confusing than Gymkhana... dumbed down for Americans.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
yeah, autocrossing is ok in the Yaris Liftback..but the gearing is just TOO tall for anything except road racing (2-3 mile, 10-20 turn tracks). I've been in both the Spoon/OPAK honda fit and the only TRD decked , RHD Vitz in the US and they both seemed a bit too tame unless you're really creative with the clutch and using the brakes to get the rear to settle in behind the front (understeer can be reduced with hard entry breaking, which causes weight shift to front..but it is still a bit tricky managing the rear end...especially with the rear seats and spare all stripped out

Though, if you don't want to mess with your new car, it's pretty cheap to get a 1st generation mazda miata, MR2 or old civic and really push the apexes There is NOTHING more exhilerating than making the ABS of a early-90's car bark like a circus seal under HEAVY braking and R-compound tires..oohrr...oohrr..oohrrrr!!!
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Autocross is a safe, reasonably priced (compared to road-racing) way to push both your limits and the limits of your car. Initially I would just take what you have and enjoy. You can learn a lot about set-up and technique from your fellow racers, who will be more than happy to share their secrets.
Autocross really is an end unto itself, and will not likely lead you down the road-racing trail. If however, you fancy yourself the next A.J. Allmendinger..... forget autocross, save your Yaris and buy a shifter-kart. That's where most of today's stars got their start.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole

Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen
a video from youtube... if you consider this autocrossing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOuZp6MflE&search=yaris
nice

here's someone having fun with a gen1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvedHSfYFMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7gyNJugpPM
Old 07-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
I haven't autocrossed mine, but just from driving around town I can tell you right off the bat the stock tires aren't going to cut it. It's really easy to get some wheel spin in the tight stuff.
Hmm. Do all Yarii come with the same tires regardless of what part of the world they're from? I haven't pushed the car very hard yet, but I've been taking the on and off-ramps a little faster each time and I have yet to have heard a peep from the tires. BTW, they're Goodyear Eagles. I guess I'll find out this weekend.

Last edited by Lizardboy; 07-04-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
I'm a noob at "autocrossing" so you pretty much take your stock car and race it around a track or something like that? Not to disrespect anyone who has autocrossed their Yaris but personally I wouldn't (if I owned one), especially if just got it new then again that goes for any car new (IMHO). Unless they have lots of money and don't care, but i"m not too sure the nature of this event...help I'm a noob! As for the last link the guy "trashing" his Yaris sedan...I've seen that one already and I think he's an idiot...he could not only hurt himself in a public place but someone else as well as the car! Another noob question...do you autocross for money or credibility or just for fun?
This is what autocrossing(AKA Solo2) is http://www.scca.org/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=0D1EFD-DED7D60&x=050|067&~=.
It's perfectly safe for both you and your car as long as you follow the rules set down by the organizers. In the few years I've been doing it, I haven't seen a single accident or injury. It costs practically nothing. You should swing by a local event sometime and see what it's like in person. As far as the video of the guy trashing the Yaris in the parking lot. That is nothing at all like autocrossing. We don't autocross for anything other than fun, an adrenaline rush, and hopefully a trophy.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
yeah, autocrossing is ok in the Yaris Liftback..but the gearing is just TOO tall for anything except road racing (2-3 mile, 10-20 turn tracks). I've been in both the Spoon/OPAK honda fit and the only TRD decked , RHD Vitz in the US and they both seemed a bit too tame unless you're really creative with the clutch and using the brakes to get the rear to settle in behind the front (understeer can be reduced with hard entry breaking, which causes weight shift to front..but it is still a bit tricky managing the rear end...especially with the rear seats and spare all stripped out

Though, if you don't want to mess with your new car, it's pretty cheap to get a 1st generation mazda miata, MR2 or old civic and really push the apexes There is NOTHING more exhilerating than making the ABS of a early-90's car bark like a circus seal under HEAVY braking and R-compound tires..oohrr...oohrr..oohrrrr!!!
Actually, I've got a 95 Miata. That's what the Yaris is replacing as my daily driver. The Miata is now my weekend toy. You're absolutely correct. That is one fun car to drive spiritedly!
I just want to see what the limits of the Yaris is.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #15
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Thanks for all the pointers guys! I'll let everyone know how it turns out if we can make it out to the event this weekend.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #16
Vandit

Drives: Toyo Trix
Make sure you really bump up the PSI in the tires. Go for 40 front, 50 rear. That should make for some interesting handling, be aware that you may have to be quick to catch the rearend. You could also go for a high/low setup, something like 40 front, 30-25 rear. Theoretically, it should break away more slowly this way, but i've found it to feel sloppy. You could also go 40 all around. It really is up to you.

Walk the course multiple times. Bring your sunscreen and water. Try to keep your momentum up while you round the course. Look ahead. Careful of not totally slamming the brakes as you crank the wheel, this usually makes the ABS come on like crazy and causes tons of understeer.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #17
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
i'm running 205/55/R15 Falken ZE512 (UHPAS) on Falken Hanabis (11.13 pound) which does help both traction (wider, stickier tires) and acceleration (lost about 12 pounds per corner with lightweight wheels/tires..Toyo T1S would be a better choice of tire since it's lighter and stickier...but I use the Falkens for street use and I'm still getting to know the cars abilities..)
I haven't experimented with tire pressure too much, and the lack of a rear strut bar does make the rear behave awkwardly, but I am impressed with it's abilities in nearly-stock form. Not like my Civic hatchback, but fun all the same

decent brake pads, Tein coilover, & TRD strut tower bars (F/R) should make this car VERY respectable in the turns.