Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
52.60 mpg

Well, I've been averaging 39-40 mpg, but today, I was able to get a trip average of 52.60 mpg. This included city and freeway driving. Brian (Bailout) was kind enough to teach me some tricks while letting me use his SGII in my car. He taught me how to properly use FAS, DFCO, P&G, hangtime, and drafting (if there were anymore, add them on, Brian). It really does make a difference on how one drives. I thought I was doing a decent job at conserving gas, but man, was I wrong.

Also, Brian demonstrated that I CAN drive on the freeway with my windows partially down (fully down if I wanted to) if I'm driving 55 mph, and not have it affect my FE. He also demonstrated how the A/C impacts FE instantaneously, knocking off anywhere between 5-10 mpg.

I think the two biggest factors that contributed to my 52 mpg was hangtime and proper FAS. Anticipating the lights and cars ahead can make you see how FAS will be more beneficial than DFCO. As for hangtime, it truly is crazy how taking your foot off the throttle by a mm or so can make you gain so much. I'm going to try to keep doing this despite not having a SGII.

I didn't think I would have done so well, especially for a day's (really an hour or so) worth of learning and trying. It goes to show that anyone can get high 40's, if not 50's mpg, even us tuner folks. Thanks again Brian for teaching me how to get better FE.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote