Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2023, 08:26 AM   #19
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe52 View Post
good headsup.

do you have a part number/s for the scion replacements?
Old 03-29-2024, 09:20 PM   #20
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
The only thing to prevent rust is oil or waxy oil spray. Think waste oil, woolwax, fluidfilm(smells like crap), etc. Never use paint or rubberized undercoating unless you're religiously using oil or wax overtop of it. Coming from an undercoating shop
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:32 AM   #21
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndestructibleYaris View Post
The only thing to prevent rust is oil or waxy oil spray. Think waste oil, woolwax, fluidfilm(smells like crap), etc. Never use paint or rubberized undercoating unless you're religiously using oil or wax overtop of it. Coming from an undercoating shop
I wired brushed the exterior portions of the trailing arm welds then applied 2 coats of POR15 to them. Once that cured I flooded the inside of the trailing arms with Liquid Wrench Rust Inhibitor and let it sit for a day. Then I flooded them again the following day. After I installed the beam I took a foam paint brush and coated the exterior welds with the LiquidWrench. I do that every few months.

I'm going on 2 years since the axle replacement. Solid as a rock so far. My 16 year old inherited the car a few months ago. I'm confident the rear axle will out live his stint with this vehicle.

As for the paint application? POR15 isn't exactly your garden variety stuff. When applied correctly it's an excellent barrier against corrosion. I applied 2 coats to ensure there was zero opportunity for moisture to find it's way passed it. Besides...the exterior welds aren't really the issue. It's the debris that gets trapped inside the trailing arms. Once it reaches a certain level it tends to get wet and stay wet. So these things rot from the inside. The broken welds that you see from the outside are the byproduct of this rot.