Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Didn't find the answers I was looking for...

ok, I have toyed with the idea of boost for a while, but it has come to my attention that a co-worker has a new t25(i belive) he was contemplating using in his eclipse, he has since decided to go a differant route(re rebuilt his stock on and now is aquiring parts to run MUCH more boost and a new FMU ect.).

so, the info i have been searching for on the forums, and have yet to really find...what are you all using for the oil lines pressure and return on the 1.5l? i plan on using the coolant hoses connected to the throttlebody for the water cooling on the turbo.

i was planning to get a aftermarket wastegate, an intercooler, and a boost gauge and blow off valve. i would buy some pipe and couplers and do some welding to piece the charge pipes together.

so, that leaves the question of what to do about oil. I was also contemplating what to do about a manifold. the turbo is only going to have a max boost of under 5PSI. I want to be able to use the stock fuel system and not run lean and I dont want any CEL's.

i was thinking about relocating the two cats further down the pipe, and making a adapter to bolt onto the factory exhaust manifold two bolt set up,then the pipe would go down a inch and i would weld on a t25 adapter plate. the idea would be to use the factory exhaust manifold and bolt a one piece custom adapter to the factory manifold, then bolt on the turbo to the adapter flange, and then make a custom down pipe and hooking the factory cats to it.

alot of people dont like the idea of using factory things for turbo projects, but i noticed our headers are tubed steel instead of cast iron. they could be thermal wrapped to help with any heat issues, and a small turbo only spooling to 5psi then dumping extra pressure out of the wastegate should help keep backpressure low enough that i shouldnt blow through exhaust manifold gaskets too often.

i guess my questions are, for such a low amount of desired boost, would this all work well, would a stock manifold adapter be an "ok" option, and what oil ports is everyone using?

boost nuts! please! give me your knowlege!

p.s. is there a better canidate out there as far as a turbo goes? if i will be making my own flange, or if i have to, my own custom header AND flange, if there a turbo i could score in a junkyard and rebuild that would reliably push 5psi? perhaps one with a large availability of parts and a internal wastegate set around 5psi or the availability to change the wastegate spring so it would vent at 5 pounds?

any thoughts you guys have would be great!

Last edited by Spades; 02-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
One would have thought if you where only looking for 5psi you would go with a S/C rather that a turbo , as a S/C is a lot less hasle .Thats my opinion anyway.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...943&highlight=

same basic rules apply

feel free to IM me with specific questions that my thread do not answer!

oh and i'm parting my turbo setup out. if you want to buy my cast manifold as a basis, let me know. it's already a t25 flange
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
super charger would cost WAY more than I want to spend. I can source the intercooler, BOV, boost gauge and coolant & oil lines and other goodies I need for a couple hundred bucks(a perk to working at a auto repair shop and dealing with parts companies all day). the turbo i can source for 100 bucks, and i can also easily source the charge piping and couplers.

i have the equipment and ability to fab what i need for the manifold...so, the project should cost somewhere around 300-400 dollars. I dont think i can pick up a supercharger for that kind of money. whats more, superchargers are parasites. they use power to make power...which means gas milage loss. low boost turbo applications add milage when you arent hot rodding it.

so...my questions remain. what is involved to get oil to and from the turbo, and is there a better suited small turbo for a 5psi aplication, and would using the factory manifold and just building a flange to couple it be a bad idea? i wouldnt think a 5psi turbo would create enough back pressure to blow gaskets.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
super charger would cost WAY more than I want to spend. I can source the intercooler, BOV, boost gauge and coolant & oil lines and other goodies I need for a couple hundred bucks(a perk to working at a auto repair shop and dealing with parts companies all day). the turbo i can source for 100 bucks, and i can also easily source the charge piping and couplers.

i have the equipment and ability to fab what i need for the manifold...so, the project should cost somewhere around 300-400 dollars. I dont think i can pick up a supercharger for that kind of money. whats more, superchargers are parasites. they use power to make power...which means gas milage loss. low boost turbo applications add milage when you arent hot rodding it.

so...my questions remain. what is involved to get oil to and from the turbo, and is there a better suited small turbo for a 5psi aplication, and would using the factory manifold and just building a flange to couple it be a bad idea? i wouldnt think a 5psi turbo would create enough back pressure to blow gaskets.
i'm running 10psi on a VF39 from an sti, no issues with blowing exhaust manifold gaskets

and turbos DO hurt low end performance, as they are a restriction to exhaust flow.. anyway... semantics

your only issue with hanging a turbo off the stock manifold would be weight and room to work.. and then you have to deal with piping.. look up the greddy kit for the xB it has some retarded looking piping on it. a sidewinder would definitely suit the yaris (put the turbo where the battery/airbox is now) or top mounted like my setup, as you yarii owners have more engine-to-hood clearance than the xA.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Have you looked at the stock exhaust mani? I don't think there's any way to get a flange on there that would work, plus the runners are really tiny. Better to just make one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
If you can cut and weld just do a log style mani. Couple of elbows, couple of tee's and couple of flanges...

It will give you more room to fit the turbo and to run the pipes... and if you can do it... it should only add $100-$150 to the project.

For the oil return line I believe you have 2 choices... a custom/modified oil pan or just tap the block.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
plus the runners are really tiny.
small runners = quick spool up.. great entry velocity into the turbo

guy's not looking for ultimate power here..
you nailed it sir.