Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #19
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
When I asked at the dealership about the disappointing fuel economy on my car (30 mpg average since it was new), they said that if the check engine light hadn't come on, everything was operating normally. Is it possible that there are error codes that would not trigger that light?

I'm taking my car back to them for the 15,000 service soon. I'll probably ask them to check for codes and reset the ECU to see if that helps.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #20
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
When I asked at the dealership about the disappointing fuel economy on my car (30 mpg average since it was new), they said that if the check engine light hadn't come on, everything was operating normally. Is it possible that there are error codes that would not trigger that light?

I'm taking my car back to them for the 15,000 service soon. I'll probably ask them to check for codes and reset the ECU to see if that helps.
Second that :(

Well it dropped to 30mpg from 32-36 after changing the rims and adding two 12" subs and an amp inside the trunk with dynomat.

Mine is at around 12000 as of right now.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro
Well it dropped to 30mpg from 32-36 after changing the rims and adding two 12" subs and an amp inside the trunk with dynomat.

Not to burst your bubble but I guessing that has a huge contribution to the decrease in mpg. First bigger tires and different sizes other than stock can effect mileage maybe not as much if you went from 14" to 15" but if you have 17" or 18"s certainly. Also dynomat weighs the car down, okay if its just in one spot maybe not significantly but it adds up, 2-12" subs? Yep that's going to cost in some fuel decreasing, cause your lugging some extra weight...I'm not saying get rid of them just a heads up, its your car, do what ever you want!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #22
Lafiro

Yup. And the subs/box's weigh a good amount, and no the diam. is pretty close, not off by more then 1-3%. And they are 205/40/17. And the entire trunk is dynomat'd.

Ok everyone, got the tank to flash on me and filled the car up with 93.

Went to the dealership this afternoon, and the master tech basically checked it all out and noticed the problem and another one aswell(starting up wierdly)

Well, he checked the ECU and nothing came up, so he took the fuel line and took out 3 cups worth of fuel and lets say that it had a light brown color to the fule, and smelled like shit. Well like all gasoline does, except it was a little different. The tech said it looked/smelled like diesel. He said that was the problem, bad gas. Never to go to BP for fuel again and to just fill the car with 93 and drive it till it runs out almost and then go back to 87. This way whatever is in there gets mixed up witht he 93 and then let the extra heat created from it to burn whatever it left behind in the engine.

I will let everyone know how it drives after tomorrow, when the new gas should get to the engine.(since I only drove 1 mile from the station to the house)
Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Hmmm I'm afraid I may have a similar problem happening...

When my car was at the garage for the second round of mods, they often kept the engine running, and it did run out of gas. They refilled to about a half tank, but since then I have not driven very often or a long distance, maybe 100km max, and the tank's almost empty...

Gonna go for a refill later today and see how this turns out...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #24
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Why would you run 93 octane?
That will just make things worse if you already have a problem with fuel.

A deisel pump nozel will not fit into your cars Gasoline tank opening. Deisel nozzels are larger to eliminate accidental fill ups.

If it was deisel your fuel would be bright red, not brown.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #25
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
Why would you run 93 octane?
That will just make things worse if you already have a problem with fuel.

A deisel pump nozel will not fit into your cars Gasoline tank opening. Deisel nozzels are larger to eliminate accidental fill ups.

If it was deisel your fuel would be bright red, not brown
i think he was saying that the gas that he put in his car was mixed diesel/petrol from the pump that it came out of.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #26
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Still diesel is dark red, and if it was a mix of gasline and deisel it would be pink or bright red not brown
Old 11-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #27
Lafiro

Ok, well it wasnt tested or anything ok? I was just told it looked/smelled funny. Either way he said he needs to make sure this tank gets 93 so it burns hotter I guess? So it burns out whatever it left there. Then to get back to 87, drive and if its not normal, take it back again.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #28
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I only gas up at those stations that are always busy, usually located off a busy intersection. Sometimes, the wait is annoying, but worthwhile since less chance of putting contaminated fuel into my car. Also, I've heard that it's best not to fuel up while the fuel-truck is in the process of loading up the resuvoir...but not sure why.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #29
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Because the refilling stirs up sediments that have settled to the bottom of the tanks. The newer systems are pretty well filtered now so I would think that's less of a concern these days.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #30
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
unplug the negative terminal on your battery
go in the car push your break three times
reconnect the battery
and pour in a bottle of silver STP complete fuel system cleaner with your next gas fill up
this should solve all your problems
by the way do not run 93 in this car, your computer is not meant to use it unless your running an aftermarket turbo system at that time you should have a piggy back with advanced timing for 93 octane
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #31
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Forgive my ignorance, but should'nt the ECU show up a code as and when it notices that unsuitable fuel is being used ?
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
Lafiro

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Forgive my ignorance, but should'nt the ECU show up a code as and when it notices that unsuitable fuel is being used ?
Not sure, actually he didnt tell me anything about any codes. He just told me nothing was wrong with the ECU.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #33
Snake

no a code will not be thrown with poor gas in the tank
the car will just run like crap and clog up your fuel system
it will throw a code with a bad fuel pump
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #34
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
no a code will not be thrown with poor gas in the tank
the car will just run like crap and clog up your fuel system
it will throw a code with a bad fuel pump
In other words, bad fuel per se may not cause the ECU to show a code, but when the use of bad fuel finally causes damages to the fuel system or, I presume, the engine or any other important part of the car, a code may be shown.
Thank you for enlightening!

To Lafiro - Best wishes for an early solution!
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #35
Lafiro

Thank you swng. I really hope this tank resolves anything that might have happened. As of right now, its still using a lot of fuel. I cant say how much, as I didnt reset the odo. until I was like 20-30miles into the tank. But for now I will keep on driving and hope for the best.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #36
Snake

dont forget the fuel system cleaner otherwise the resetting the engine wont do anything for u