Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
WTF My car is a 08 and water pumnp just gave out...

yeah so i was washing my car today and went to detail under my hood and noticed this pink crap on my hood and all over the place. Look down and sure enough water pump gave out.

Now my question is since this is highly abnormal im worried the dealer may attribute it to my aftermarket parts installed on the vehicle. I do have pulleys and torque dampner as well as afe intake.

When i put back the belt i marked the position so it isnt any tighter or looser than it was before. Oh well. I had them take care of my door lock actuator that stopped working at same time. Bad thign is i just sold my extra car last week so now i need a ride to work tomorrow.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
let us know if they give u any bs over the mods vs. warranty...that's been a bit of a hot topic around here lately...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
YarisSedan

well the service writer who wrote me up put it as no charge. So they shoudlnt be be able to charge me unless they call me later and try to get money out of me for the water pump. Which if they do ill just install it myself at my shop. Its probally only 25 bucks for the water pump and takes about a hour to do.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
they might bitch about the pulley but if your dealer is cool then it shouldn't be an issue. I know others here had issues with the water pump as well. Maybe its going to be a huge issue. At least its an easy fix

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
YarisSedan

yeah i noticed a few posts of poeple with failing water pumps. Curiouse to see how many people who had failed water pumps had mods and who has no mods that had a failed pump
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
knock on wood, no failed water pump here, 2007 and getting close to the 60K miles mark.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i think most of the pump fails were with modded pulleys

dont quote me on that but i think....

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
knock on wood, no failed water pump here, 2007 and getting close to the 60K miles mark.
mine failed at ~56k kilometers. mine's a 07 bought in october 06. no mods.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
ummm you better make sure they know to give you your original pulley back (if it's NST)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
YarisSedan

I think the most likely cause is i just drive the vehicle very hard. I push it to redline all the time.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
yeah i noticed a few posts of poeple with failing water pumps. Curiouse to see how many people who had failed water pumps had mods and who has no mods that had a failed pump
A few people in a few threads have mentioned the water pump shitting itself. I think it's probably the only breakable part of the car, the rest of the Yaris is built well.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
undampened NST crank pulley at fault?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
installer error..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Well i dont think its installer error in my part. Isntalled pulley correctly and tightend belt to spec. I do drive the car pretty hard ill admit that. I take it to redline nearly every day. Just picked up the car from the dealer.

They made no complaint and everything was done under warrenty. The tech who did the work did a really crappy job though. There was spilled coolant over my bumper and all over my engine bay. I just detailed my car the other day too so now im going to try to have to clean all this crap up. Also when they removed my door to do the door lock actuator they put the sail cover on the door portion back improperly. It was loose and i removed it to resecure it and found the tab that holds it in place bent. its like hes tryign to figure out why it wont go back in so he hits it with his hand to pop it in place bending the tab.

Also not to mention the stupid lock box key that was jammed in between the window and door pushed out the window molding a bit. And lastly the blue key cover sleave for my key i payed 5 bucks for on ebay is MISSING. Its like the tech was like ooh nice key cover im gonig to steal it and use it for my own toyota key and give him back his naked key. Like i wouldnt notice that?!?!?!? its not like it somehow fell off too cause it was really hard to put on in the first place.

I am wondering if i should leave them a bad review when they send the customer satisfaction survey. On the other hand they did perform all services no charge. But still those parts shouldnt have failed in the first place.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
YarisSedan

Oh yeah forgot to add it looks like maybe they removed the motor mount to gain axess to the pump and when they did they had to remove my nitto torque dampner. Scratching all the paint off where its bolts up to so now it looks ugly =(
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
take it back and get them to put it right at their cost ,
also take photos of the damage .
and if you have photo's of the egine bay all detailed show them those
and say this is how i bought the car to you and this is how you have returned it .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
YarisSedan

its too late i already cleaned my engine bay now. Took just a few minutes. If the guy who spilled the coolant just whiped it up witha rag while he did it it would take just a few seconds extra of time then let it dry and crystalize. Also buffed out the scratch mostly. Still kinda pisses me off.

Also i had my tire pressure set at 40 they set it all to 32 and then sucked out wiper fluid from my resivoire to the full mark since i had it full to the top. They shoudl just assume the car is obviousely customized and thats the way the owner likes it and not to mess with anything besides the work thats on the work order. I anal about my car like that. I even hand torque every lug nut when i take the wheels off and carefully rack my car up so none of the lift point tabs have even a scratch let alone bent.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #18
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
^^^ my feelings exactly, but the dealership sees it like this, if they don't do exactly what they say they will, it will cost more to make the customer happy then it will to do the little free things (psi, paper floor mats etc.) I honestly can say when i was working @ Toyota I left everything alone (save for seat position, damn you people who sit inches from the steering wheel)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote