Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
205/55/16

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU'RE GONNA SAY GO WITH 205/50/16 OR ANY OTHER SIZES....I WANNA KNOW ABOUT MY SPECIFIED SIZE ONLY

hey, i have an option to get a complete set of 205/55/16 tires for free, and get basically free tires for life.

i know they're 5% bigger than stock and every website states that's a bad thing to be more that 3% bigger than stock. like it's some kinda bad mojo.

is it really that big of a deal? when my brakes are ready to be changed, i'm going with hawk HPs up front and the micro-image discs in the rear. i think that will be enough to take on the 2% difference in the maximum abilities of the stock brakes. my speedo will be off 5%, i know.

i'm mainly worried about HP/TQ and if the stock engine setup is capable of handling a 5% extra load at all times. and if the brakes are capable of handling the extra 5% diameter of the tires. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU'RE GONNA SAY GO WITH 205/50/16 OR ANY OTHER SIZES....I WANNA KNOW ABOUT MY SPECIFIED SIZE ONLY
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Your likely to run into problems down the line. Anything bigger than 3% will really mess with the speedo think +- 3 or so mph.

Other things you may not be thinking of and things that would cause me a little bit of concern. Going to larger wheels will cause more stress to the wheel bearings and may cause them to fail prematurely the same thing goes with axles. If your car is a stick shift you may see a reduction in clutch life if its a automatic you may see a reduction in transmission life.
I wouldn't be worried so much about brake wear as the vehicle is so light. I changed mine at 70k miles and there was still something along the lines of 80-90% pad life left.
I'm sure the engine can handle the reduction in (wheel)torque but be aware that acceleration will be slower and may require more downshifts then it did before.

If your getting them for free and can deal with the minor issues and possible rubbing then I say go for it.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
go with 205 50.

Oh wait ....... lol it doesnt matter man go for it its not damage to the engine or tranny so why not
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I've seen a number of Vitz running 205/50/17's (with stock suspension) in Japan. That tyre is in fact a bit taller than a 205/55/16. I recall recently seeing some pics of one of our member's sedans with 205/50/17's.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
k-thanks. i'll look at the charts and see what it says. i knwo 205 50 is the recommended larger size for 16" but like i mentioned....basically free for life tires....i cant pass it up if they'll work and not cause detrimental problems.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
If you're not lowered, it shouldn't be an issue. However, if you are lowered, you will likely rub quite a bit.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote