Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Whats your opinion on the new Camaro?
The new Camaro is awesome. I'd rock one. 21 56.76%
Not worth it. GM FTL. 4 10.81%
Muscle cars are not my thing. 1 2.70%
It has it's place - on roads without curves. 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I'm pretty sure they'll only sell you a camaro if you have a mullet. That's how it was in the 80s anyway. IROC-z ftl
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
It's a huge car-I could not believe it dwarfed the big ass corvette setting next to it. Will it save sorry GM from itself-no. Just another can to kick down the road for a few years. These three car companies are all the same-keep beating a dead horse since they can't come up with anything new or innovative. Yea, let's live the 70's again-big detroit steel-ugh! They never learn.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If I were going to buy one of these new American retro-muscle cars, I would get the Challenger -- I love the looks of that one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #22
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Update: drove some cars today. I had the opportunity to drive the Hyundai Genesis Coupe I4-Turbo, the Mustang GT, and the Mustang V6. Not relevant to this comparison, I also drove the Nissan Cube. I did not have the chance to drive the new Challenger, as no dealer within 200 miles of me had one. I did not have the chance to drive the new Camaro, as all the dealerships nearby were doing "Credit-application test drives only" - they wouldn't let me drive it until I signed on the dotted line. My local Hyundai dealer has promised to let me know as soon as they get a V6 6-speed Genesis Coupe in.

Mustang: I was pretty impressed by the Mustang. It felt like a much higher quality product than the 2004 Mustang I drove a few years ago. It handled reasonably well, but the steering response wasn't spectacular. There was no real feel for the road. When I got on the freeway in the GT and punched it, the acceleration was awesome. With the stock, soft suspensions, it's a 'point it in the right direction, hit the gas, and hang on' kind of car. Unfortunately, it seems difficult to take advantage of that power in anything but a straight line, HOWEVER, it felt like there was a lot of room for improvement with suspension. I walked away feeling like the GT had potential to be fun to drive. The V6 was much less impressive. The V6 with auto tranny felt lethargic - nothing muscle-car-esque about it aside from aesthetics, really. After driving both Mustangs, I got back in my Yaris, drove for a few minutes, and went "I love my Yaris. "

Genesis Coupe: This was an interesting experience. This one had the I4-Turbo, with the Shiftronic automatic transmission. I did not like the Shiftronic tranny. There was a good second to second and a half in between hitting the shift-up button and the tranny actually shifting. Shifting at any speed was clunky and jerky - it seemed like the tranny just didn't know how to shift smoothly at any RPM. Before my next statement, my experience with Turbocharged cars is limited to my mom's PT Cruiser, which kicks you in the butt and goes at 3200 RPM. The Genesis Coupe had no such kick. I kept waiting for the car to start suddenly accelerating, and it never came. It was quite anticlimactic. And somewhat disappointing. Overall, less than impressed - I might even go so far as to say "Slow. Ish." Handling was good, though. The steering response was good, the car wanted to be tossed around corners; the stock suspension was adequate, but with some good suspension it would definitely be fun to drive. It was stable and predictable around corners faster than my Yaris (lowered, rear torsion strut). I'll definitely be interested to see how the V6 drives, with a proper tranny on it. I got out of the Genesis Coupe, hopped back in my Yaris, and after driving for a few minutes, went "I love my Yaris. "

The guy at the Dodge dealership, after establishing that he had no Challengers in stock, literally told me to go buy a Mustang. "You want a real muscle car, man. I got me two Mustangs, and they're awesome. They're a real car, man. The Challenger just feels like a normal car, the Mustang feels like a muscle car!" Wouldn't take "No" for an answer. I was with my buddy, who actually wanted to order a Challenger, but we ended up cruising over to the Ford dealership, instead. I guess that dealership really wanted to sell us a car...

I then proceeded to head over to the Chevy dealer and drool over the new Camaro.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
I dunno about the Mustang...with a solid rear axle you're not going to get much better handling than you would have in a 1970 Mustang. I think this was a huge mistake on Ford's part.
I love the muscle-car look, being an old guy and all...but I also prefer a twisty road to a straight line. In this respect I truly believe the V6 Camaro will offer the most potential
of the three while still being respectable off the line.

Brute force isn't everything. But honestly, if the RX-8 had a little more oomph there would be no question and I wouldn't even be considering a Camaro. And yes, I know there are other nice import couples out there but I still need a somewhat usable rear
seat.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll only sell you a camaro if you have a mullet. That's how it was in the 80s anyway. IROC-z ftl

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I could never understand why they must be so big! Sports cars don't need a trunk, and they sure as hell don't need frontal area! Touring car? different machine, but even they don't need frontal area.

I wouldn't even give these beasts a second glance. If you want some plain fun, go find a Miata and a winding road...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
saw a new camaro SS over weekend and it was ALRIGHT looking. i wasn't too thrilled with blue color it was wearing but nice car nonetheless......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #27
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I could never understand why they must be so big! Sports cars don't need a trunk, and they sure as hell don't need frontal area! Touring car? different machine, but even they don't need frontal area.

I wouldn't even give these beasts a second glance. If you want some plain fun, go find a Miata and a winding road...
Seems like they are trying to reach some kinda safety standards but I agree they look a bit bulky, so does the Challenger. The Mustangs aren't too bad, though, IMHO.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #28
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
At first I wasn't thrilled with the new Camaro. However, the more I look at it, the more I like it—and the less I like the Challenger, BTW. Actually, I like the Challenger's front end better, but I don't like it's rear.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote