Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

Drives: 2007 Vitz HB
07 HB AC Compressor Bearing

Hi -

How common is it for these AC compressor bearings to start squealing like a dying pig? My AC compressor squeals at cold start. I am not sure if there is a rebuild kit or if I should just get a refurbished compressor.
Fidelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's not the compressor squealing - It is the belt. If the compressor bearing was bad it would do it at more than the cold start.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

I know its not the belt because after the car warms up the squealing stops. I had this issue too with an Acura Integra once, but I never got around to fixing the problem with that car. It's hard to determine which wheel bearing squeals. I've sprayed belt conditioner thinking it was the belt but that didnt help.

I just recently changed the Alternator and Belt, so that is checked off my list. My tension is good not too tight not too loose on the belt. I am wondering if its the water pump bearing. I will try that next since that part is cheaper to replace than the AC compressor.

I got this car used with 52k miles for $4800. Interior is clean. The bad part is the car comes from water damage so there are some electrical issues i need to fix that deal with sensors but it's not a big deal.

I am guessing some water found itself in the bearings. This is why I replaced the alternator. Overall the car is good.

What do you think about this pump?
$46
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FACT...b21bb6&vxp=mtr

dealership parts wants $85

I just purchased 120 pcs of mini ATM fuses for 9.88 free shipping on ebay.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
I know its not the belt because after the car warms up the squealing stops. I had this issue too with an Acura Integra once, but I never got around to fixing the problem with that car. It's hard to determine which wheel bearing squeals. I've sprayed belt conditioner thinking it was the belt but that didnt help.

I just recently changed the Alternator and Belt, so that is checked off my list. My tension is good not too tight not too loose on the belt. I am wondering if its the water pump bearing. I will try that next since that part is cheaper to replace than the AC compressor.

I got this car used with 52k miles for $4800. Interior is clean. The bad part is the car comes from water damage so there are some electrical issues i need to fix that deal with sensors but it's not a big deal.

I am guessing some water found itself in the bearings. This is why I replaced the alternator. Overall the car is good.

What do you think about this pump?
$46
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FACT...b21bb6&vxp=mtr

dealership parts wants $85

I just purchased 120 pcs of mini ATM fuses for 9.88 free shipping on ebay.

Did you re-tension the new belt after running it for a couple of days? My 08 that I just rebuilt started squealing on start-up about a week after I put the new belt on. Belts go through an initial stretch, so they need to be re-tensioned once they do (and cheap ones do it worse). Belt conditioner won't help with this.

It is possible with the water damage that you have bearing issues, but they would not improve once the car is running, whereas a squealing belt will.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

No I'll do that next. I will re-tension the slack. By any chance do you know what Toyota recommends for the tension? I tensioned it by pushing down on the belt kind of like when I tension the chain on a motorcycle. Of course a chain is more dense than a belt so the concept is similar but different specs.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
No I'll do that next. I will re-tension the slack. By any chance do you know what Toyota recommends for the tension? I tensioned it by pushing down on the belt kind of like when I tension the chain on a motorcycle. Of course a chain is more dense than a belt so the concept is similar but different specs.
The belt deflection spec (measured at the center of the belt between the alternator and crank pulleys) is .28 to .33 in for a new belt and .43 to .51 in for an already stretched belt. There is an actual tool for measuring it, but I just use my fingertip.