Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #37
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Replacement part is not the OEM part. Its a cheap substitute made in Thailand. Support Great American manufacturers like WIX! I like Thai food though
Why would you say that? No car maker builds their own oil filters, right?
Also, I notice the Toyota filters have an O ring vs. the flat rings the aftermarket brands have.Must be for a reason, I've noticed this on dealer Hyundai filters too.
The Thai filters also have some kinda lube on them under the nice plastic wrapper that keeps junk out of the filter. Makes the dealer happy too to see a" Genuine Toyota Part" too.
I've used Purolator PureOne. I like the IROC blue paintjob.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #38
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Also, I notice the Toyota filters have an O ring vs. the flat rings the aftermarket brands have.Must be for a reason, I've noticed this on dealer Hyundai filters too.
The Thai filters also have some kinda lube on them under the nice plastic wrapper that keeps junk out of the filter. Makes the dealer happy too to see a" Genuine Toyota Part" too.
If you like the Thai filter, you'd probably like the Japanese Nippon/Ultra-8 (Napa Altrom Import line) better. It leaves off the grease, but it has a plastic lid on the end, plus the end plate looks more like the OEM Japanese Toyota filter...

The PureOne's have a textured yellow finish now, which looks cool, but I just ordered a complete line of Beck/Arnley filters. Decided to switch from the PureOne after trying them once.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #39
auxmike

Thanks Follows!
I got a case of Thai's, got 8 to go.
I like 'em.......

Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #40
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING

NICE PICTURE OF FILTER ALTHOUGH PART NUMBER NOT FOR YARIS
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #41
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimelio View Post

NICE PICTURE OF FILTER ALTHOUGH PART NUMBER NOT FOR YARIS
Sweet looking filter. I've got one left before I actually start using the Beck/Arnley filters. I don't know anything about the Beck/Arnley's, other than they've got a pretty good import-only line of parts.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #42
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Now, I dont like that leaf spring on the purolator. You will be opening that bypass all the time in the winter up north if you car is not garaged. As an engineer I would prefer to see a coil spring or better yet an independant bypass valve assembly
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #43
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:

The ‘Yota/ Densio Japon o-ring design is great, along with the pre-lube on the o-ring. I had flow, engine noise problems with thwe Thai filter so I spent 9 bucks each on the toyota EOM filter made by Denso in Japan. p/n 90915-1004. The Thailand unit bears NO resemblance to the Thai made Denso. If I didn’t have problems with the Thailand Denso, I would still be using them. I prefer OEM dealer filters they are usually the best, and make the dealer and me "comfortable" during any warranty escapades. Unsure why I had problems with this Thai made filter - most likely the paper in the element was too restrictive. Maybe a bad batch. Had problems with our Yaris and Rav-4, using both yzzf1 and f2; so I decided not to use it. You will know RIGHT away if you got a bad one. The engine will idle weird and have excessive timing chain noise (like and electric chainsaw under oil). OTW you’re good to go with your yzzf2 yota filters
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #44
1stToyota

Quote:
Now, I dont like that leaf spring on the purolator. You will be opening that bypass all the time in the winter up north if you car is not garaged. As an engineer I would prefer to see a coil spring or better yet an independant bypass valve assembly
Can they have both?

Looking at a WIX box, a safety by-pass valve assy sits just above the silicone A.D.B. valve, and a steel coil spring on top of the upper metal end cap.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #45
auxmike

Silky=Grumpy in NH????

Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #46
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Quote:
Silky=Grumpy in NH????
I've been thinking the exact same thing, either that or Grumpy's inspiring people/has some followers...
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
Wix are just about equal to Purolator Pure One filters but, I can get the Pure Ones for a couple dollars cheaper than the Wix.
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #48
auxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
I've been thinking the exact same thing, either that or Grumpy's inspiring people/has some followers...
The whole rant about the Thai filters and the RAV4 are the giveaways.....
That's ok, I enjoyed his insight in the past.
Welcome back GINH!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #49
1stToyota

Quote:
The whole rant about the Thai filters and the RAV4 are the giveaways.....
That's ok, I enjoyed his insight in the past.
Welcome back GINH!
The Thai filter is a good filter, but it sure isn't the OEM Denso filter that came on the car. Just don't understand why I can buy a coffee mug that's made in Japan at the dealership's parts counter, but can't get the Japanese oil filter that was originally installed at the factory. It had better media, o-ring and A.D.B. valve.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #50
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
The Thai filter is a good filter, but it sure isn't the OEM Denso filter that came on the car. Just don't understand why I can buy a coffee mug that's made in Japan at the dealership's parts counter, but can't get the Japanese oil filter that was originally installed at the factory. It had better media, o-ring and A.D.B. valve.
I got mine on line, but theyu still didnt save the Rav-4 - dead motor at 67K miles. I am at a loss on where to go from here to get these things to last. A dealer OC with a Thailand service filter was the death of the motor, unfortunately, My spousal-unit is immune to engine noise so I didnt find out till its too late and the warranty had expired. Lets see if we can keep the subie running. The deals are good Now. Got the Subie 2.5 X at 18,700 on a 20800 sticker. The base vehicle is loaded with good stuff. Would like to have wiper park area windshield glass heaters and heated OS mirrors up here in the frozen north though.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 02-10-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #51
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Silky=Grumpy in NH????
Gee, Shroomster asked the same Q. IDk about that but I'm pissed in Wilmington, MA, zip 01887. So PIMA? Scientist think alike - thats not true ... IDK?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #52
TheSilkySmooth

Mimelio and !st Nice cut-away pics. You just gotta know in the real cold weather that the thick oil wont go through our 'tiny' filter element and the oil pressure is pushing open that bypass valve on every cold start - so the bypass has to be a robust design. The wix looks good to me but it think the purolator has a bigger filter element area. I want a bigger filter altogether! I'll search the wix database and see what else BIGGER might fit. Motto: 400 sq-in or Bust! - the bro

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 02-10-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #53
Goat
I've made a post!

Drives: 07
Air Filter: WIX #49104
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #54
auxmike

Quote:
I got mine on line, but theyu still didnt save the Rav-4 - dead motor at 67K miles. I am at a loss on where to go from here to get these things to last. A dealer OC with a Thailand service filter was the death of the motor, unfortunately, My spousal-unit is immune to engine noise so I didnt find out till its too late and the warranty had expired. Lets see if we can keep the subie running. The deals are good Now. Got the Subie 2.5 X at 18,700 on a 20800 sticker. The base vehicle is loaded with good stuff. Would like to have wiper park area windshield glass heaters and heated OS mirrors up here in the frozen north though.

Oh man, more thai filter bashing. just like GRUMPY used to do.
Funny, Grumpy's wife ALSO had a RAV4. Hmm.....
I doubt a RAV4 died due to the filter the dealer tech installed. That's if you even have/had one.
Thousands of oil changes are done Nationwide every day and so far yours is the only claim I encountered that the mfgs. part they distribute worldwide is the culprit.
Sorry, but I gotta put up the flag here.
Welcome back Grumpy!
PS: I love complex mind games and look forward to more witty posts and comments.
Thanks and be well.
Thanks!