Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
Question Rebuilt title --- worth buying? $6700

They are selling a 2007 Yaris HB 5 speed. Red in PERFECT condition with only 19,000 miles.

The guy said he replaced the bumper, radiator, and headlight. The car really is SUPER clean. It even has 15" wheels not the 14" steelies.

Asking $6700. Worth it?

basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Theres a reason why the vehicle is salvaged by the insurance company if it just those minor things. Most likely has frame damage. As well as deployed air bags. I would have a experienced mechanic take a look at it before you decide to buy it. I would only purchase a salaved vehicle from a professional bodyshop that sells salaved cars on the side that has a good reputation. Not off some guy off the street that fixed it himself with his buddies.

Also keep in mind you may have issues with insurance with salvaged title and it will be very difficult to sell it if you decide you dont like it later on as well as the obviouse extremly low resale value.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
basslover911

I am going to ask about the airbags tomorrow and take it to a mechanic.

What do you think a good price would be for the car considering everything is good? (aka what should I offer him?)
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I would say 6k flat the most
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
did you run a carfax?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Are you going to make this a project car or a daily driver?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
No car in texas is totalled for the damage you describe unless the book value of the car is extremely low. The seller is misrepresenting the extent of the damage, which should make you very wary. I'm not sure there is a price that becomes worth the deal, since an improperly repaired Yaris will not absorb impact in a major collision, and there ain't much there to protect you to begin with, so it could be the last "deal" you ever buy.

Not to be a total nay-sayer, but I would tread very carefully on this, since it seems liek they are hiding something. See if you can find-out what insurance company totalled the vehicle. They might tell you the extent of the damage they wrote-up.
Also, try finding-out the name of the body shop. If the seller won't reveal it, then you are better off driving an older-but-intact car.
Again, the Yaris depends on its high-strength steel and "crumple zones" to protect occupants,a nd there is not much margin for error on these little guys. Especially here in Texas, where you're as likely to get hit by a pickup as you are a Honda.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
basslover911

Ok he says he has recepits for everything. In a short talk he replaced headlights, bumper, hood, radiator, condenser.

It says on the carfax that no frame damage occured. I have yet to see the car but I will probably go out there tomorrow to check it out.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Leave it alone, man. YarisSedan and Ozmdd hit the needle on the head.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
+1
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
There's no way it's in "PERFECT" condition if it was listed as having "Severe Damage" on the CarFAX. You're better off looking elsewhere.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
basslover911

Ok ill looked at it today.

Well everything was repaired thats why its in good condition haha. Anyway... well... it really is in good condition nothing that I could see made it look like it was in an accident?!

I know I know... its just so cheap! Lol $6,000 is not bad!

Anyway Ill keep looking around and see if i find anything
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
You have to ask yourself, "why would the car be totaled for a few hundred dollars in damage?" To be totaled, the car must be worth less than the repair estimate, or the damage is deemed unrepairable. A 2007 Yaris w/ 19,000 miles is worth at least $7500 according to KBB, and that's a "good" trade-in value. So, assuming that number is what the car is worth to an insurance company, they believed the car needed more than $7000 in repairs. I'm pretty thrifty, but I can't do $7K in body shop work for $1K.

On top of that, the owner of the car had to pay the salvage value in order to keep the car, and that had to be at least $1500, and probably more. The only way there is profit in this car for the seller is if they are hiding a ton of damage.
Try this: ask them how long they will warranty the car to be free of "hidden damage." My guess is they tell you "no."

Maybe you have found the deal of the century, but I'll bet a $100 pre-purchase inspection at a reputable mechanic or "lemon buster" will find huge problems. I wouldn't be surprised if a simple visit to a laser alignment rack shows the car is way-off on the thrust angle.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #14
advocate

Drives: car
Tell him to drive it for 100 miles while you're in the car.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
basslover911

^ Yeah ive been thinking the same thing... then again the insurance pays pretty darn pricy for body shops to do the work... how much would fenders, hood, bumper, condenser, radiator, intake box, headlights, and fender liners at a normal body shop that an insurance would send you to? (well plus paint, install, and labor... ?)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #16
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
You have to ask yourself, "why would the car be totaled for a few hundred dollars in damage?" To be totaled, the car must be worth less than the repair estimate, or the damage is deemed unrepairable. A 2007 Yaris w/ 19,000 miles is worth at least $7500 according to KBB, and that's a "good" trade-in value. So, assuming that number is what the car is worth to an insurance company, they believed the car needed more than $7000 in repairs. I'm pretty thrifty, but I can't do $7K in body shop work for $1K.

On top of that, the owner of the car had to pay the salvage value in order to keep the car, and that had to be at least $1500, and probably more. The only way there is profit in this car for the seller is if they are hiding a ton of damage.
Try this: ask them how long they will warranty the car to be free of "hidden damage." My guess is they tell you "no."

Maybe you have found the deal of the century, but I'll bet a $100 pre-purchase inspection at a reputable mechanic or "lemon buster" will find huge problems. I wouldn't be surprised if a simple visit to a laser alignment rack shows the car is way-off on the thrust angle.
umm from my understanding, it is actually if the cost of the repair equals more than approx 75% of the value of the car... at least that is what my insurance company says, and the shops that i have talked to agree on this note... think of it this way, the insurance company knows how much the car is worth to them at any given time when they know the mileage, but would rather not repair the car if it will only be a minimal charge more to just replace the car... then, the insurance company can say that you totaled a car and charge you more money to recover the costs that they accrued in replacing your car...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
basslover911

^Yep its 75% of the cost not the whole cost... Im still trying to figure out how much all of the above that I mentioned would be to repair at a body shop? (I know for like a new bumper and paint its something like $800-900, so it wouldn't surprise me if all of those things would be around $5000 (which is 75% of 7500... ok just rounding)
Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I'm assuming the pictures above were taken on the same day......look at the steering wheel compared to the direction of the front wheels. Notice anything wrong there?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote