Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Interesting...
Schmidt was undoubtedly brilliant re the trajectory he executed for Google...ROI, market position, market cap, etc. That doesn't make him a great human being. He followed his own words to Maria Bartiromo in that he didn't attempt to hide his affairs from his wife. Considering that he has two children, that period couldn't have been very easy for them, and () wouldn't win him any 'father of the year' honors. His wife was quoted as saying she "felt like a piece of luggage". Ouch. I've heard some interesting words from scorned ex-spouses, but I think that one (too original to doubt, IMO) is pretty telling.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #38
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a system where members can help by voting on whether something that was flagged as spam was actually spam, thereby doing half the legwork for you?
The new filter system killed my spam bot since the messages are hidden from public view. It would be nice to have something like it doing the grunt work, though.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #39
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
I will continue buying a Yaris as long as they keep making a 2dr hatch. Besides the Fiat, what are other 2dr hatch vehicles sold in the US with a manual transmission available?
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #40
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think the Yaris has had its 15 minutes of automotive glory and has now just been reduced to a generic econobox, when it first came out the hatch looked super sporty and for us older folks a nice looking sensible sedan option,fast forward a few years and the sedan and hatch seem to have merged into a one size fits all souless appliance. With 200K of bulletproof reliability out of my 08 sedan i certainly dont see anything in the current Yaris line that turns me on,

Really?=

http://carspecsandprice.com/wp-conte...yota-Yaris.jpg

my next Toyota will most likely be a Rav4.
Yikes! I had not seen that before. Looks a bit like the Yaris Hybrid R concept car, but I don't care for the bright metal around the Grill or for that matter the grill. Projector headlights are appealing but I can get those fabbed up for my 2009.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #41
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Besides the Fiat, what are other 2dr hatch vehicles sold in the US with a manual transmission available?
The Honda CR-Z and the Mini Cooper are the only ones I can think of. The iQ has been discontinued. The manual transmission Fiesta, Accent, Elantra GT, Sonic, Spark, Fit, Note, and Golf are all 5-doors (at least in the U.S. market). The Hyundai Veloster technically doesn't count because it has that extra (small) door for rear seat accessibility on only one side of the car.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #42
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
The Yaris is being overshadowed by the Prius-C by Toyota, I don't think the company bothers to market it in the States because all the green-weenie types here don't think a car can be "environmentally healthy" unless it is a hybrid.

However, in my travels overseas this year, I've seen tons of Yarii. It is still a popular car in many countries, we just don't see that in the States. Here in San Antonio I probably spot a Yaris every day or two; but in Europe I was seeing ten or more per day.

I will admit my 08 Yaris has been relegated to a second spot behind the Jeep in my vehicle line-up, but when I do drive it I am constantly reminded of what a great car it is! With all my travels, I get to drive a lot of rental cars and I am always comparing them with my Yaris. The Ford Fiesta I drove last week in Pennsylvania was nice, but it got horrible gas mileage for an economical car and I didn't think it it was very well set-up inside. I've recently driven a BMW 116d and Mercedes A180, as well as a Golf and while they all had their positive attributes; I think for the money the Yaris is a better deal.

I think the "newness" of the Yaris has worn off as well. The Gen IIIs didn't do much for the marque as the restyling made them look more like every other Toyota in the line-up. One of the appealing things about the Gen II was it stood out on the lot, now it's tough to tell a Yaris from a Prius.

So, I will stick with my 08 until such time it blows up (unlikely) or some uninsured driver destroys it (very likely here in San Antonio). While the fading paint bothers the hell out of me, otherwise it has held up extremely well and I still do love driving it. There's nothing that puts a smile on my face faster than cruising down the curvy roads of the Texas Hill Country in Sprocket on a hot, sunny day!

Cheers! M2
Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #43
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I don't think the company bothers to market it in the States because all the green-weenie types here don't think a car can be "environmentally healthy" unless it is a hybrid.
.....and true as well

Quote:
The Ford Fiesta I drove last week in Pennsylvania was nice, but it got horrible gas mileage for an economical car and I didn't think it it was very well set-up inside.
I don't think they hold up very well either. A Fiesta rental I had in Florida last year had under 40,000 miles on the odometer. A beater near the end of life might have felt just about as weak and on the edge of falling apart. Really.

Quote:
So, I will stick with my 08 until such time it blows up (unlikely) or some uninsured driver destroys it (very likely here in San Antonio). While the fading paint bothers the hell out of me, otherwise it has held up extremely well and I still do love driving it. There's nothing that puts a smile on my face faster than cruising down the curvy roads of the Texas Hill Country in Sprocket on a hot, sunny day!

Cheers! M2
. I like the Yaris 3rd Gen 5-door more than my 3rd Gen 3-door. The manual transmission was more important to me than 3-door vs. 5-door. I wish that we had had the good fortune the Canadians did (and do ?) re having the ability to select a 3rd Gen 5-door with a manual transmission.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #44
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I'll stick around, besides I like it here. But I look at it the forum will still help people. Or like a 30 year old car that was ended. People will still come around.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #45
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think the Yaris has had its 15 minutes of automotive glory and has now just been reduced to a generic econobox, when it first came out the hatch looked super sporty and for us older folks a nice looking sensible sedan option,fast forward a few years and the sedan and hatch seem to have merged into a one size fits all souless appliance. With 200K of bulletproof reliability out of my 08 sedan i certainly dont see anything in the current Yaris line that turns me on,

Really?=

http://carspecsandprice.com/wp-conte...yota-Yaris.jpg

my next Toyota will most likely be a Rav4.
Great photography on that car.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #46
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I finally found a new job after being laid off since last August :) This new job is a little further drive and more city stop & go driving, so I'm getting tired of my manual transmission. I never thought I'd see the day when I got tired of shifting gears. My Yaris has only 34,000 miles on it and I'm getting ready to make my final payment (YAY!). I'm seriously considering the Prius C since it looks kind of like a Yaris and gets better mileage. It really doesn't cost much more than a Yaris either for the basic model.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #47
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I finally found a new job after being laid off since last August :) This new job is a little further drive and more city stop & go driving, so I'm getting tired of my manual transmission. I never thought I'd see the day when I got tired of shifting gears. My Yaris has only 34,000 miles on it and I'm getting ready to make my final payment (YAY!). I'm seriously considering the Prius C since it looks kind of like a Yaris and gets better mileage. It really doesn't cost much more than a Yaris either for the basic model.
Congrats!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #48
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I finally found a new job after being laid off since last August :)

Quote:
This new job is a little further drive and more city stop & go driving, so I'm getting tired of my manual transmission. I never thought I'd see the day when I got tired of shifting gears. My Yaris has only 34,000 miles on it and I'm getting ready to make my final payment (YAY!). I'm seriously considering the Prius C since it looks kind of like a Yaris and gets better mileage. It really doesn't cost much more than a Yaris either for the basic model.
The Prius C is the Yaris Hybrid in some areas outside the United States.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #49
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
For me with less spam I have less of a need to check in, and the trolls just don't stir stuff up anymore. With the facebook groups it's pretty darn easy to post and read posts but I do like the structure this forum has which makes looking up information and browsing a lot easier. Plus as a moderator if it's in the wrong section (sans the 3rd gen section, my pleas to the admins have gone unanswered since the 3rd gen section came online) I can just move it.

Most of the old timers or (former) heavily active members are my friends on FB which I'm already on because of friends, family, business. Also I'm married now and my wife has a degenerative condition called KTS (Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome) which requires a lot from me along with my business I just don't have the time like I used too.

Still LOVE my Yaris, and bond with it daily!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:23 AM   #50
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
What are the names of some of the FB groups? I'm not seeing anything that stands out. I come here 2-3 days a week and see no new content. I don't even know why I keep checking.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #51
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
What are the names of some of the FB groups? I'm not seeing anything that stands out. I come here 2-3 days a week and see no new content. I don't even know why I keep checking.
Message me your name and I can add you on FB so that I can invite you to around a half dozen groups.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote