Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #37
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
I don't have a yaris but I recommended to my mom to buy a fit (which she did) over a yaris 1.5 year ago, and since then I drove both cars a lot (we have a fleet of Yaris at my delivery place), and I would now recommend the Yaris over the fit, although they both have defaults and the fit my mom got was still a good deal. The fit had a 2500$ reduction (brand new 2009, bought in 2010) and with the different prices and packages in Canada, it was cheaper than a 5 door Yaris 2010 (there were no more 2009) with AC.

The fit feels a bit more sporty at first, but it the end, it's annoying. The suspension is too stiff to be really comfortable but the car still takes some roll in the curves, the steering is a bit sharper, but the turning radius is much bigger (about 3 feets maybe, but I drove both mostly in town and you feel the difference a lot when doing u turns and such for delivery), and it's a bit over assisted, at highway speeds the fit steering is over reactive and you have to be careful. And the fit MT has really close gears, it's cool for spirited driving or around town, but on the highway the engine noise is annoying and the MPG sucks.

So, the yaris with it's longer gearbox is a bit less quick around town but the vvti still makes a good job, and it's a bit more quiet on the freeway (and you get better mpg), the electric steering on the hatchback is really nice. On the downside, the gearbox is more slushy and the cargo room is obviously much smaller. And despite it's minivan look, the fit is the same height as the yaris hatchback and you sit a bit lower.

Otherwise, road noise (not engine noise) and seat comfort seem to be about the same but I haven't really driven the yaris on the highway for extended periods since we only drive around town for work. Actually I dislike the seats in both cars (I'm tall and there not enough leg room), but the ones in the yaris seem to be a bit better for a long drive. Also, they both have a crappy drive by wire system, when I take the remaning echo hatchback at work (with a throttle cable and no power steering), it's a blast to drive compared to the yaris, but it's noisy and less comfy. But in the end, the yaris isn't great anywhere, but not bad anywhere either (except for cargo room), while the fit's qualities (more fun to drive) are also it's biggest defaults, it's less homogen.

I'm waiting the yaris 3 with impatience, hopefully we will replace some of the older yaris at work for one (which also means that they will ditch the echo hatchback 2005, sadly).
Otherwise, I never drove a Yaris sedan, it seems to be fine but I believe that it's a bit less responsive than the hatchback, then I would simply get a Corolla instead (they are now only 600$ extra in Canada).

But the seats are really important to me, and it's personnal taste. I have driven 25 000 miles in my ex Geo Metro 1.0 (mixed city and highway) in a year and a half, with some trips, and I never had any back pain. After 1.5 hour in the fit, I start to have some pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
I never got around to testing the limits on my rental, but I can tell you the Yaris is just more tall-friendly. As for the other two cars, ..well:

I'm 6 feet 3 and they all miss leg room to be comfortable, which is a non sense in the fit and the versa since there is still so much leg room in the back. For front room, I don't see any clear winner or loser in the category. The best small car is by far the mini (you can slide the seats rearward untill they touch the rear seats), but it's 10k$ more...
I wish we had some european sub compacts (renault clio, VW polo and such), I'm pretty sure they have more leg room.

Leg room is the only reason why I bought my geo metro and then my Civic '99 instead of a Tercel/echo/yaris/corolla. The Prius 3 finally has significantly more leg room than the previous one, I hope that the next gen Corolla and Yaris will be the same way. Otherwise, tall people need to get a Camry to be comfortable (which my father did 13 yars ago, since the corolla wasn't big enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
That's what my only complaint was about the Echo, until I put the 6 speed in .
Do I really see a Civic shuttle 84-87 in your avatar? It's your? I had one (87 4wd) for a while, I sold it because it was rubbish and not so reliable, but it's a blast in a snow storm (I've done some ice lapping too) and the interior room is better than in the fit despite the lack of magic seats and the awd system. I measured both cars in every ways and the Civic was better everywhere (by almost a foot from the dash to the trunk lid) but in height (exact same), I measured so I can bring my motorcycle home (2x700km drive), the bike fitted in the car simply with the front passenger seat removed. I wonder how Honda made so many great civic (from the 4wd shuttle to the Type R) and now they make crap. Newer Civic are not fun to drive anymore, have nothing innovative and the materials quality is really lower than before. And they still have rusty rear fenders (for the 01-05 at least).

Last edited by broody; 10-21-2011 at 10:34 PM.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #38
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
No regrets. The fit was about 2k more, and there was only 2 I could find! The older Fit of the time was kinda tinny and wimpy looking. The Yaris looks beefy and well fed...
I also see a good mix of drivers operating these cars, so it's not "gender specific" like a New Beetle convertable chick car, for example.
The engine compartment is well laid out and the car's fairly easy to work on.
Got my '08 Brand new in April of 2008 for $14,160 with A/T and power everything! I could'nt find any with the ABS or side airbags at the time. But that's ok, I see a few here dealing with the corroded ABS connectors setting off the dash light and costing big $ to fix... I think the new Fit is just too odd lokking and pricey for me. BUT, I can't wait to try out the 2012 Yaris!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #39
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
I love my Yaris but if I could go back in time I'd probably go back and get an 09 Matrix instead, that or a Yaris sedan/Corolla. Definitely wouldn't be telling the me of 2008 to get a Yaris Hatchback again.

The Yaris was totally useless for cargo the past 2 winters since we had a kid since the trunk has NO room remaining with a stroller. The 60/40 seats would've been a godsend some days. This will be the first year without needing a stroller which will be nice.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #40
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
I'd buy two if the hands of time went back.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #41
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
The Yaris I have has yet to let me down in any way. It is the 1st Asian import I've ever owned and the only thing I can think of is its lack of power (stock). We all make choices when we purchase a car. Initial cost, maintenance costs, performance, resale value, fuel milage and appearance. Appearance in how other people will see you in this type of car, stock or modded. Yes the numbers on the road of the Fit are more than the Yaris but to me thats perfect. I've always had cars that are very few in numbers, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1971 Camaro R/S Z-28 and now my 2008 FerrYari S LB. This site has definately increased my interest in the Yaris and provided me with valuable information on maintenance and
other points of interest. All of the YariWorld members and supporters like Garm keep the membership well informed and provide solid advice for anyone. Hell, I check this site 3 to 4 times a day for new subjects.
Absolutely no regrets on my choice of my Yaris S LB.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #42
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Yes, I would buy another Yaris, only because Honda no longer makes the CRX. I owned 3 of those back in the 1980's. The Yaris is the closest to the CRX I can find. Although I'd really love to have a Honda CR-Z, but those are out of my price range. I drool every time I see one.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #43
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
If i could go back in time I would not sell my 1972 Leyland Mini 1000cc.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #44
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The Yaris was the best option for me at the time I prchased it back in '09 and I have absoloutly no regrets.

It was originlly purchased mainly for commuting to my job. However, I have since been forced into early retirement and it is now great, prctical, money saving transpotation.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #45
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
No regrets here, either. It's been a great car for us. Although I do miss my 2005 Scion xB from time to time (the vehicle I traded in on the Yaris), I love the Yaris.

However, if I had to buy a new small car right now, I would definitely do some cross shopping with the Mazda2, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Sonic, and Nissan Cube.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #46
kk4real

Drives: 07 egg
my last car was a Hyundai Elantra GT that was totaled when this lady hit my car...
I loved that car, but they stopped making GTs in 2005...
I was considering an accent, but the doors were to big
so I wanted a 4 door xA, but they stopped making those in 2006!
2007 was a bad year for me to get a new car, but I got a yaris because it had the best mpg in it's class
I just wish toyota had released the 4 door hatch earlier...
kk4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
yak
yak

Drives: 2007 5 dr yaris
Yep...I drive this thing like I stole it, every day...no complaints
chuck some decent rubber on 'em an' a CAI unit to make you smile drive
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #48
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
The only regret is that I wish I had looked a little harder for a MT.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #49
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
I'd have tried a little harder to find the kind of Celica I wanted. I also would have kept my International Scout. :( What was I thinking getting rid of that?!

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #50
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Looking back at the money I spent on the Yaris. My 08 Tacoma Prerunner I traded in for the yaris, would have been paid off by now. Should have kept my CRX as my weekend car... I think I would be happier if I get another car for back up while I work on one or the other
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
No. Never was a fan of the Fit's appearance and would still be spending countless dollars trying to keep up with everybody.
No, and not a fan of the Fit's appearance either. When I was shopping for my Suzuki Swift (new car I had (for 61 months) before my Yaris), I looked at the ECHO and was very drawn to all the mechanicals (natch! ). I just couldn't get past the (IMO) terrible styling and the fact that no hatchback model was available. Once 'our little egg' burst upon the auto scene, I pretty much knew it would be my next car.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #52
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4real View Post
my last car was a Hyundai Elantra GT that was totaled when this lady hit my car...
I loved that car, but they stopped making GTs in 2005...
I was considering an accent, but the doors were to big
so I wanted a 4 door xA, but they stopped making those in 2006!
2007 was a bad year for me to get a new car, but I got a yaris because it had the best mpg in it's class
I just wish toyota had released the 4 door hatch earlier...
Just the opposite for me. I don't like 4 door cars that have a small stationary windows as part of the rear doors. Too easy to break into. Fortunately, Toyota 'corrected' this with the 3rd Generation 4-passenger door hatch.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #53
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
It's one of the better decisions I feel I've made. I bought the HB in 2007, and because of the fuel economy, it allowed me to do some "shit" jobs with an awful commuting schedule.

MPG = Economic freedom to travel.

Now, moving into 6th year of ownership, and 4 years since I paid it off, it costs me next to nothing in maintenance. I haven't had to do any major repairs other than waterpump. All I pay is $700/year in comprehensive insurance, and I don't even drive it often. Just $40 for DIY oil change every year.

It had enough room to transport everything I own. Ultimate bachelor car.

When I did kayaking, it transported it without problems.

Bicycles transport just as easily.

Now I tow a motorcycle with it when needed.

I never expect the car to provide speed or excitement. For that, a motorcycle is much more appropriate.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #54
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
No regrets here, either. It's been a great car for us. Although I do miss my 2005 Scion xB from time to time (the vehicle I traded in on the Yaris), I love the Yaris.

However, if I had to buy a new small car right now, I would definitely do some cross shopping with the Mazda2, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Sonic, and Nissan Cube.
I like all of those cars looks and feature wise, but the Mazda 2 and the Cube don't get good enough gas mileage, and the Sonic is built by one of the companies that took a bailout (). I'd have to consider the Fiesta and the Accent, but I think (although now distinctive in a different way) I'd still pick the Yaris re it's exterior styling...even though I can't stand the looks of the dash.

If I decided I could give up the manual, was willing to spend a bit more, but still cared about MPG I'd get a Prius C.

If I was willing to spend a bit more, but cared just slightly less about MPG, I'd get a Subaru Impreza.

If I was willing to spend more, but didn't care that much about MPG I'd get a Mini or a BMW 1 series.

One of my neighbors has a new Fiesta and another has a new BMW 1 Series Coupe, so I'd probably ask each of them quite a few questions. Each of those cars caught my eye before my neighbors became owners.