Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Front door speakers, how?

Pulled the door panel off and there is an interesting little speaker spacer to put it away from the door i guess. I dont see any good way to mount the new speakers without having to by a new spacer. maybe a little bit of help. And I have 5 1/2" components that came outta my old car i would prefer to keep.

And im assuming the spacers are there to keep the magnet of the speaker off the window. Thanx for the help.

Angela
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
. . . those spacers are held on with 3 rivets - you have to drill them out to get the speaker off, but once you see the stock speaker and see how cheap it is you won't feel any guilt throwing it in the trash. Scosche or Metra make plastic speaker adapters that will adapt an aftermarket speaker to this location - go to crutchfield.com or Google them. I wanted something beefier, but I was lazy, so I bought some pre-fabbed MDF spacers on Ebay here: MBTech MDF Spacers - - the 07/07 Yaris Scion model - - they work great
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
well i can just make those, its only a 3/4" spacer off the door to clear the speaker.
Thanx though.

angela
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
otherwise, you could dremmel out some of the plastic and reuse the existing speaker brackets, i also reused the factory wiring connector...looks almost factory, minus the quality speaker :)

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
or you could do this :) 3 way focals installed in the doors my o8 yais lb sounds just a little better :))

pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Zombie Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
@penny racer where did you get the faceplate to fit around those 3 speakers in the door? and what sizes are those?
Zombie Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
All of that is custom work. The speaker cover looks like it fits on via friction. One could also use magnets in the frame and substrate. I've got packs of them sitting in my garage. The ring for the cover and the substrate groove looks to be two dimensional, so it's not that difficult to fab up. Just time really.

To disclose fully, that panel is nowhere near stock and took a little bit of time to make. That design looks to be on the panel versus in the skin of the door itself. I enjoy the router work that can go into a project like this. There are positives and negatives to most any door install.

Penny - was this a home job or did you hit up Car Toys or and independent shop? I say Car Toys after seeing the Focal. That is the boutique brand that they sell.